It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 08:38 AM   #1

suziemb HB User
Question UTI every time I have sex.

Hi, since the age of 21 I have gotten an UTI every time I have sex. I want to talk to my doctor about preventitive antibiotics. I was just wondering if anyone take preventitive antibiotice after sex and what kind is safe to take? I would also like to know how many miligrams is safe to take for preventing a uti after sex.

Thanks,
Suzanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 08:46 AM   #2

cyclonegirl HB User
Re: UTI every time I have sex.

Suzanne-

I take macrobid after sex. I was on trimethoprim, but was getting frequent yeast infections. Macrobid is supposed to help with that (& it has for the 2 months I've been on it). Also, I'm trying to get pregnant & macrobid is safer for that as well. The number of milligrams is going to vary depending on what antibiotic your doctor prescribes. Oh, and if you don't have insurance, macrobid is much more expensive than trimethoprim. I have to pay for it myself (about $90 for 30 pills), but it's worth it for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User

Try taking D-Mannose. It is advertised on this site under the name Clear Tract. It is not an antibiotic but adheres to the bacteria and allows your system to flush it out. It's cheaper than antibiotics and far safer. I take it and it helps alot to keep infections away.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:50 PM   #4
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User

You should talk with a urologist. I was told if I had more than three per year it was time to see one. I have a wonderful urologist who really cares and has been in the practice for two years. I'm suprised he is really good. The office told me he was when I went to make an appointment with another dr. but since that dr. had a two month waiting list, they offered me to see the new dr. I'm so glad I did!

I was diagnosed with urethral stenosis a couple years ago and got dilated by my urologist. Recently I saw my urologist again for more emptying problems and after having a UTI. He asked me if he could dilate me and I agreed saying ok because I hadn't had any UTI's for awhile since my first dilation. When I had more problems of infections I called to see what a correct dose of prophlactic antibiotics were and how I should take them.
He put me on a six month prophylactic dose of antibiotic (amoxicillin 250 mg) for after intercourse and told me if I had any more UTI's while on the antibiotic or after I stopped the antibiotic I was to go back to see him for another evaulation. The dose for prophylactic verse infection are different and what to do when you get symptoms of a UTI vary from dr. to dr. Go see a urologist.

To help prevent UTI's, I was told to also empty my bladder after sex and drink lots of water. I take a shower both before and after and sometimes I still manage to get UTI's anyway. I hope this six month course will help me. I had a cystoscopy with dilation for stenosis (narrowing of the urethra). The dilation was quick and painless as I got some lidocaine jelly on the inside. I thought the UTI's were related to it. I know if the bladder is not emptying completely it can put us at risk for more infections. Stenosis can cause incomplete bladder emptying.

I am interested in this D-Mannose that RageOfAngels mentioned. You should get an evaluation by a urologist before taking anything on a regular basis. Ask your primary dr. for a recommendation or other friends. Here is a website you can look up a dr. to check his/her license to see where they went to school and if they have anything negative on their license. [url]http://www.mhsource.com/resource/board.html[/url]

Last edited by j_f_2003; 12-08-2003 at 03:54 PM.

Closed Thread