It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 05:31 AM   #1

akb1027 HB User
third urine test bence jones protein

I had been having burning and tingling over different parts of my body and went to my GP. I had protein in my first and second urine test. I had the third urine test which also had protein. The report showed bence jones protein. Has anyone else had this protein in their urine? My other question is, does this protein always indicate multiple myeloma? I am being tested for this at the end of this month. I am having more intense burning on different parts of my body at different times of the day. I am just curious if others have had this protein in their urine. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: third urine test bence jones protein

Quote:
Originally Posted by akb1027
I had been having burning and tingling over different parts of my body and went to my GP. I had protein in my first and second urine test. I had the third urine test which also had protein. The report showed bence jones protein. Has anyone else had this protein in their urine? My other question is, does this protein always indicate multiple myeloma? I am being tested for this at the end of this month. I am having more intense burning on different parts of my body at different times of the day. I am just curious if others have had this protein in their urine. Thanks.
Hi there! Urinary protein can be an indication of many different things mostly having to do with kidney disease (a group of diseases classified under glomerulonephropathies); however, Bence Jones proteins are something that are quite specific to multiple myeloma or some other type of monoclonal gammopathy (i.e. white blood cell disease) usually something that is called MGUS (monocolonal gammopathy of unknown significance). You can also sometimes get bence jones proteins in a disease called Walderstrom's Macroglobulinemia, but it's rare. Have you been having any back pain, or other bone pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2003, 06:35 PM   #3

akb1027 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflytrans
Hi there! Urinary protein can be an indication of many different things mostly having to do with kidney disease (a group of diseases classified under glomerulonephropathies); however, Bence Jones proteins are something that are quite specific to multiple myeloma or some other type of monoclonal gammopathy (i.e. white blood cell disease) usually something that is called MGUS (monocolonal gammopathy of unknown significance). You can also sometimes get bence jones proteins in a disease called Walderstrom's Macroglobulinemia, but it's rare. Have you been having any back pain, or other bone pain?
Thanks for the reply. I am starting to have a little pain in spine. However, I am having alot of pain and burning in feet, burning in ankles and knees. Also I am noticing bumps and bruises in my knees along with a feeling in my right knee like something is moving, but it is deep in my knee. I am having bone test on Friday. My urine is always a dark yellow. I am a bit nervous about all of this. I am also having many neurological symptoms such as dropping things, tingling, burning in neck at times and also in wrists. I am being followed up on all of this. It all happened so quickly. When I had my first urine test and the dr said there was protein, he said there was nothing to worry about, but now that it was in the third one and I am rapidly not feeling well, I checked the internet on bence jones and was surprised it had to do with bone marrow cancers. I have been diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy, but again, that's something I've never heard of before. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akb1027
Thanks for the reply. I am starting to have a little pain in spine. However, I am having alot of pain and burning in feet, burning in ankles and knees. Also I am noticing bumps and bruises in my knees along with a feeling in my right knee like something is moving, but it is deep in my knee. I am having bone test on Friday. My urine is always a dark yellow. I am a bit nervous about all of this. I am also having many neurological symptoms such as dropping things, tingling, burning in neck at times and also in wrists. I am being followed up on all of this. It all happened so quickly. When I had my first urine test and the dr said there was protein, he said there was nothing to worry about, but now that it was in the third one and I am rapidly not feeling well, I checked the internet on bence jones and was surprised it had to do with bone marrow cancers. I have been diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy, but again, that's something I've never heard of before. Thanks again.
Ohhh! You have been diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy...yes, then unfortunately you are at high risk for multiple myeloma. You're right, multiple myeloma is a bone marrow cancer...it's a cancer of a subset of your white blood cells--the B-cells. To be more specific, it's a cancer of a mature, antibody secreting form of the B-cell, the plasma cell.

To understand how Multiple Myeloma works, you have to know a little bit about plasma cells. Unrelated plasma cells (i.e ones from different cell lines) each have their own unique antibody that they secrete that no other plasma cell secretes....HOWEVER, any plasma cells that are the offspring of another plasma cell (i.e. through cell division) will secrete the same antibody as its parent.

Now, in multiple myeloma, a particular plasma cell starts to divide WAAAAY out of control and it has WAAAAY too many offspring. This huge mass of plasma cells does a few things.

1. They start secreting a huge amount of antibody, which puts a huge protein load in your system which can end up gumming up your kidneys (this is the bence jones protein).

2. These plasma cells start encroaching on other good plasma cells, they are not able to make their own antibody and you become susceptible to infections.

3. The antibodies and other things that are being oversecreted by the malignant plasma cells, cause an increase in breakdown in the bone, and you can get brittle bones and fractures.....multiple myeloma often presents with symptoms of anemia + back pain.

4. The huge mass of malignant multiple myeloma cells start to encroach on the other cells being produced in the bone marrow, so this results in low platelets, low red blood cells and low white blood cells (aside from the malignant plasma cells)

Old 12-18-2003, 03:45 AM   #5

akb1027 HB User

[QUOTE=butterflytrans]Ohhh! You have been diagnosed with monoclonal gammopathy...yes, then unfortunately you are at high risk for multiple myeloma. You're right, multiple myeloma is a bone marrow cancer...it's a cancer of a subset of your white blood cells--the B-cells. To be more specific, it's a cancer of a mature, antibody secreting form of the B-cell, the plasma cell.

To understand how Multiple Myeloma works, you have to know a little bit about plasma cells. Unrelated plasma cells (i.e ones from different cell lines) each have their own unique antibody that they secrete that no other plasma cell secretes....HOWEVER, any plasma cells that are the offspring of another plasma cell (i.e. through cell division) will secrete the same antibody as its parent.

Now, in multiple myeloma, a particular plasma cell starts to divide WAAAAY out of control and it has WAAAAY too many offspring. This huge mass of plasma cells does a few things.

1. They start secreting a huge amount of antibody, which puts a huge protein load in your system which can end up gumming up your kidneys (this is the bence jones protein).

2. These plasma cells start encroaching on other good plasma cells, they are not able to make their own antibody and you become susceptible to infections.

3. The antibodies and other things that are being oversecreted by the malignant plasma cells, cause an increase in breakdown in the bone, and you can get brittle bones and fractures.....multiple myeloma often presents with symptoms of anemia + back pain.

4. The huge mass of malignant multiple myeloma cells start to encroach on the other cells being produced in the bone marrow, so this results in low platelets, low red blood cells and low white blood cells (aside from the malignant plasma cells)

Knowing that this may have to do with mm, and having nuerological symptoms, I wasn't sure where to post this message, but I came here because it started out in my urine. Luckily though, none was in my blood test. Thanks again.

Closed Thread