It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 09:25 AM   #1

StillWater HB User
periodic inability to urinate

Off and on I've had difficulty urinating. Sometimes I just can't "go". A couple of days ago, it was several hours after getting up before i could get just a trickle. It was getting painful by that time. I guess I should have gone to the ER, but finally was slowly able to feel like I was little by little mostly able to empty my bladders. I called the drs office, but by the time the nurse called back, the dr was gone. The nurse told me I should have just gone to the er. She said if it happened again over the weekend to do that. Yesterday was mostly ok. Today, I'm having problems again. I finally was able, but now it's been a while and although feeling urgency and pressure, I just can't. (I'm female, by the way). I'm concerned that it may all be related to spinal stenosis, for which I may be having back surgery soon., but that's another issue. What I'm hoping someone here can tell me, is how long is too long ot wait when this is going on, before doing something about it?

Several years ago, I had frequent UTIs and blood in the urine, and after IVPs and cytoscopies, that there was chronic inflamation in the bladder, but there were no problems like the current ones.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
Re: periodic inability to urinate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWater
Off and on I've had difficulty urinating. Sometimes I just can't "go". A couple of days ago, it was several hours after getting up before i could get just a trickle. It was getting painful by that time. I guess I should have gone to the ER, but finally was slowly able to feel like I was little by little mostly able to empty my bladders. I called the drs office, but by the time the nurse called back, the dr was gone. The nurse told me I should have just gone to the er. She said if it happened again over the weekend to do that. Yesterday was mostly ok. Today, I'm having problems again. I finally was able, but now it's been a while and although feeling urgency and pressure, I just can't. (I'm female, by the way). I'm concerned that it may all be related to spinal stenosis, for which I may be having back surgery soon., but that's another issue. What I'm hoping someone here can tell me, is how long is too long ot wait when this is going on, before doing something about it?

Several years ago, I had frequent UTIs and blood in the urine, and after IVPs and cytoscopies, that there was chronic inflamation in the bladder, but there were no problems like the current ones.
Anytime the bladder doesn't empty properly is cause for concern and should be evauated with a urologist. Did you ever have this incomplete emptying before your cystoscopy and if so did you mention it to the dr.? If not they can't guess at things. Tell them everything including your problems with your back. You don't know why this is happening. Also tell your neurologist or surgeon about this happening. There are certain tests that can be done at the urologist or neuro's office to see if your back could be causing this. I'm not sure about this but I think many UTI's could cause inflamation (cystitis) of the bladder. I can't tell you how long is to long to wait but if you get repeated UTI's it can possibly cause some kidney problems or damage. That's what a ped urologist told me. Why wait and continue having problems emptying when a urologist could be helping you. You don't want to wait till after back surgery and still find that you are still having trouble. Another reason not to wait is because if something needs to be surgically corrected with your bladder or such, they may be able to do it at the same time as your back surgery. Sometimes surgeons can get the same surgery schedule. That way you would only have one time to be under anesthesia rather than two if it's something that needs surgery. Lots of women have bladder repair, work, or even a tummy tuck along with a hysterectomy. Some women didn't want to consult a urologist before their hysterectomy and were made to go under anesthesia again because the hysterectomy didn't cure the bladder problem.

I think you should see your urologist and discuss this with him. I thought when I had trouble emptying it was due to certain medications I'm on for herniated and bulging discs. Come to find out, I had to get my urethra dilated again. It was a simple in office surgical procedure with local anesthetic. Since my second dilation I've been better. One thing I do notice however is when I take neurontin I have a much harder time emptying my bladder. My dr. said I could stop taking it if I wanted to. My urologist told me that when the bladder doesn't empty completely, it leaves it at risk for UTI's. I've had many UTI's and after my first dilation 2 years ago I had less UTI's. This year I started getting UTI's again and also had symptoms of incomplete emptying. That was when he dilated me the second time and I am emptying much better. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread