It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #1

StarLuvr HB User
Question Urethra Irritation (female)

I've posted before on another forum but never got an answer. I'm 23 and have had frequent UTI's in the past. In November I started to get the sensation that I had to urinate but the sensation was only in my urethra and not my bladder. It got to the point where I couldn't sleep because I was so uncomfortable. It's almost like a tingle. I went to my doctor who tested me for another UTI but everything came back clear. He advised me against seeing a urologist because he said they would perform tests that wouldn't reveal anything and they would probably be painful. He said it was probably just a narrowing of the urethra. I went to see another doctor in December. He treated me for urethritis stating that it could be from an STD. I took the 1000 mg of zithromax and one 500 of Cipro but it didn't go away. I went to see him again and this time he did a urethral swab and blood work. During the swab the doctor remarked that it went in well without any type of blockage but he did notice a little bit of swelling. Everything came back completely normal except for "a little anemia which is normal for a young woman like myself" but the sensation in my urethra is still there. After the swab I felt a little better for a few weeks but last weekend it started to come back even more. He thinks it's physiological and advised me to see a urologist. I have an appointmen on Feb 3rd but I'm scared out of my mind. What could it be? It doesn't hurt at all even during sex. It's just a constant and annoying sensation in the urethra. I read somewhere that it's possible to have antibiotic resistant urethritis but if that's the case wouldn't it show up in my blood work? My doctor said not to worry too much about it since I'm young and in good health but it's the unknown I'm afraid of. I've ready tons of urology books and websites but I am at a loss.

Last edited by StarLuvr; 01-23-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
Re: Urethra Irritation (female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLuvr
I've posted before on another forum but never got an answer. I'm 23 and have had frequent UTI's in the past. In November I started to get the sensation that I had to urinate but the sensation was only in my urethra and not my bladder. It got to the point where I couldn't sleep because I was so uncomfortable. It's almost like a tingle. I went to my doctor who tested me for another UTI but everything came back clear. He advised me against seeing a urologist because he said they would perform tests that wouldn't reveal anything and they would probably be painful. He said it was probably just a narrowing of the urethra. I went to see another doctor in December. He treated me for urethritis stating that it could be from an STD. I took the 1000 mg of zithromax and one 500 of Cipro but it didn't go away. I went to see him again and this time he did a urethral swab and blood work. During the swab the doctor remarked that it went in well without any type of blockage but he did notice a little bit of swelling. Everything came back completely normal except for "a little anemia which is normal for a young woman like myself" but the sensation in my urethra is still there. After the swab I felt a little better for a few weeks but last weekend it started to come back even more. He thinks it's physiological and advised me to see a urologist. I have an appointmen on Feb 3rd but I'm scared out of my mind. What could it be? It doesn't hurt at all even during sex. It's just a constant and annoying sensation in the urethra. I read somewhere that it's possible to have antibiotic resistant urethritis but if that's the case wouldn't it show up in my blood work? My doctor said not to worry too much about it since I'm young and in good health but it's the unknown I'm afraid of. I've ready tons of urology books and websites but I am at a loss.
I had a narrowing of the urethra called urethral stenosis or urethral stricture. There is a lot of information on the internet about this, the symptoms, and causes. I had frequent UTI's. My urologist told me that when the bladder doesn't empty completely it can leave you with more UTI's. You can check out some of my other posts on this subject. I know some places on the internet say that once a woman has had 3 or more UTI's in a year, it's time to see a urologist. If you are lucky and get a good urologist, you may not have any pain. I was very fortunate I have an awesome urologist who is very gentle. He treats me very well.

I got dilated during a cystoscopy in the office. It was quick and painless and the dr. used a numbing jelly and I had lidocaine injected on the inside. I'm also young. My urologist asked me a series of questions to which I answered yes or no to. My urethral stenosis may have been caused by my enlarged uterus sitting on my bladder. Both my gyn and urologist said I would feel much better after my hysterectomy. I was losing a lot of blood from my uterus so was probably anemic as well but never got tested for it. Good luck to you and I hope things get better for you.

Last edited by j_f_2003; 01-23-2004 at 06:27 PM.

Closed Thread