It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 07:14 PM   #1
Inactive

The_Cheese_Man HB User
Red face How extensive can a prostatitis be?

CORRECTION - THE HEADLINE SHOULD HAVE READ...

"How extensive can prostatitis be?"

Anyway...last year I took 500mg of Penicillin VK 4 times per day for 10 days prior to having a molar extracted and then went on another course AFTER I had the molar pulled. As a result I ended up with a month-long bout of prostatitis, epididymitis, balanitis (yeast infection of the penis) and basically found myself on an antibiotic "merry-go-round" chasing one infection after another...yuk!. I also ended up with geographic tongue and when I talked to my mother, she said "that's funny, I just had some of these problems myself after taking Penicillin". I later read that yeast infections can be a common side effect of this medication.

Anyway, the doctor told me that once you get prostatitis, it can come and go for life...always "simmering" below the surface at some level. Well, it has been slowly creeping back up on me again. I have the urgency when I have to urinate, my left testicle cord hurts along with my left inner thigh all the way down to my foot sometimes, it feels "different" when I ejaculate, etc. To make matters worse, I also have a vericocele on my left testicle (and left cord) which tends to aggravate the whole thing. I have begun taking Cipro this evening which worked for me the last time and I am just wondering if anyone else here has had a similar experience with vericoceles being aggravated by thier prostatitis. Heck, it even hurts in my groin when I walk and I have to keep shifting on my chair just to get comfortable.

Last edited by The_Cheese_Man; 01-23-2004 at 09:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
Re: How extensive can a prostatitis be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cheese_Man

Anyway...last year I took 500mg of Penicillin VK 4 times per day for 10 days prior to having a molar extracted and then went on another course AFTER I had the molar pulled. As a result I ended up with a month-long bout of prostatitis, epididymitis, balanitis (yeast infection of the penis) and basically found myself on an antibiotic "merry-go-round" chasing one infection after another...yuk!. I also ended up with geographic tongue and when I talked to my mother, she said "that's funny, I just had some of these problems myself after taking Penicillin". I later read that yeast infections can be a common side effect of this medication.

Anyway, the doctor told me that once you get prostatitis, it can come and go for life...always "simmering" below the surface at some level. Well, it has been slowly creeping back up on me again. I have the urgency when I have to urinate, my left testicle cord hurts along with my left inner thigh all the way down to my foot sometimes, it feels "different" when I ejaculate, etc. To make matters worse, I also have a vericocele on my left testicle (and left cord) which tends to aggravate the whole thing. I have begun taking Cipro this evening which worked for me the last time and I am just wondering if anyone else here has had a similar experience with vericoceles being aggravated by thier prostatitis. Heck, it even hurts in my groin when I walk and I have to keep shifting on my chair just to get comfortable.

Any antibiotic can promote the growth of yeast. If your immune status is normal, a yeast infection is usually not likely.

Prostatitis is frequently infected from a UTI, a complication. You have to take a systemic antibiotic to cure it. Cipro is a good drug, but mske sure you take the full dose or the infection will return.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
(male)

enigmatics HB User
Re: How extensive can a prostatitis be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cheese_Man

I was just wondering what happened with your situation. I share a similar experience. Back in November of 2004 I was in Seattle for some work when I got really sick. Turns out a had a really bad gumline infection where my bottom left wisdom tooth was. I tried to work through it for almost a week and a half when finally I broke down and decided it was time to go to the hospital. I was put on those same Penicillin V 500mg tablets for a couple of weeks before everything cleared up.

However, since then I've noticed alot more sinus problems, digestive problems, and have even had blood in my stool (caused by an internal hemorrhoid). The past month and a half my groin in my right leg has bothered me quite a bit and sometimes the right testicle bothers me as well. I've also had the geographic tongue.

When that blood first appeared in my stool I immediately started taking some of those leftover penicillin tablets, which was probably one of the most stupid things I've ever done. I was just scared at that point.

Anyways, I'm wondering if perhaps I'm experiencing what you've gone thru - chasing various infections.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
(male)

lennydee789 HB User
Re: How extensive can a UTI be?

Just wondered if your doctor suggested using a suspensory to take the weight off your testicles and cords. I had to use a suspensory a few years back for a similar pain. It is much like a jock strap except your penis fits thru an opening but gives full support to the testicles. The material is also softer than a jock would be. These are available at drug stores and really help with recovery.

Closed Thread