It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
Did I have a complicated or uncomplicated infection?

I put my questions in Capital letters so it's easier to read or see what I am asking. I'm not yelling. Sorry this is long but may help to answer if this was either a complicated or uncomplicated infection.

A few weeks ago I had symptoms of a UTI but this time with a low- grade fever (ear thermometer) however it was normal in the office by (oral thermometer) when I saw my urologist on a Thursday. He asked me if I could wait till after the weekend (4 days later) to get the results or offered me macrobid. I told him I had some macrobid at home but forgot to remind him again that macrobid makes me very sick to the point that I can't eat or drink very much while taking it. I'm basically so sick that I stay in bed or live on phenerghan. He did not offer me any other antibiotic. Maybe I should have asked for something else? I told him I would see if I could wait till the results came back before trying macrobid if I got worse. Unfortunately I got worse and as that same day went on, I had chills, sweats, felt very sick, and had some back pain. My spouse told me that if I started taking the macrobid I would have to take it for the full 7 days as I haven't taken it in the past that long because it made me sick. I decided to call the urologist office to tell them that I was getting worse, couldn't take macrobid because it made me sick, and surely couldn't wait till next week for the results.

7 tablets of Cipro XR 500mg QD was called in and I took one tablet per day till it was gone. By that same night,I was passing blood even after an hour of taking my first dose of Cipro XR 500mg. After I took some pain meds I had for something else and some additional urimax. I took the urimax before the scheduled time because I was in sooo much pain. I finally got to sleep late that night.

The next week when I called for the results the dr. said the culture came back positive and I mentioned that I passed blood in the evening of the same day I saw him. He asked me if I had 7 days worth of Cipro and if the bleeding stopped to which it did. I had 2 more days left of Cipro and I did go in for a follow up but never asked what type of UTI this was. This was the 4th UTI in six months, but the 3rd one in three months. I have a history of urethra stenosis that has been dilated twice within the last two year and the last dilation was a few months ago. I did have a kidney ultrasound during that follow up after the infection that came back normal.

IF I HAD A COMPLICATED UTI OR KIDNEY INFECTION WOULD THAT HAVE SHOWN UP ON THE FOLLOW UP ULTRASOUND?

I also noticed somewhere that the normal dose taken for uncomplicated UTI's is Cipro 250-500mg for 3 days or for complicated UTI's is Cipro 1000XR 7 days. I took Cipro XR 500 for 7 days. Somewhere else said, for complicated UTI's the dose is Cipro 500 (not XR) is every 12 hours for 7-14 days.... CAN THAT DOSE DETERMINE IF I HAD A COMPLICATED OR UNCOMPLICATED UTI? I'M NOT SURE WHY I TOOK CIPRO 500 XR FOR 7 DAYS RATHER THAN 3 DAYS. I suspect I was close to being septic but not sure because my kidney ultrasound came back o.k.

I don't go back to see the urologist again unless I have any more problems. I want to know what if I should tell my gyn if it was either a complicated or uncomplicated UTI when I go in for my yearly visit. Thanks for any responses.

Last edited by j_f_2003; 02-07-2004 at 05:33 PM. Reason: wanted to make title smaller to say complicated or uncomplicated infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread