It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2004, 04:42 AM   #1

BamaBabe HB User
UTI? I have questions...need some help!

This might be a long story--I apologize in advance. I've had ovarian cysts in the past so, when I experience slight, lower abdominal pain I generally associate it with a cyst, don't worry too much and the pain goes away. Mid February, I started having lower abdominal pain, thought it was a cyst. It felt like pain right above my pubic bone, like I normally have with a cyst. It never went away on it's own and gradually got worse. I started vomiting, feverish, chills, diarrhea, pain in my lower back and side..etc so I finally went to the doctor a week ago. I'm so afraid of doctors! So, my GP told me that my urine had blood, pus and bacteria present and I had classic case of a UTI. He prescribed Cipro for 10 days. I started taking it Saturday afternoon and by Monday, I felt so much better. The constant lower abdominal pain and pressure was nearly gone. So, Tuesday I went shopping all day, worked around my house in the evening, sat at my computer desk and worked all night. Wednesday, I woke up with the exact same pain (just as bad too) as before. I haven't missed a bit of medication and take it right on time. Why would the pain return just as bad before? Is this common with antibiotics? Will it take the full 10 days to get rid of this? I feel so stupid that I went out and did all of those things and now I'm in pain again. Should I just rest--does rest make a difference with antibiotics?

I should say that I didn't feel like I had any of the conventional signs of a UTI. No burning why I urinated or anything like that. Just constant pain and pressure above my pubic bone with a burning feeling inside. Nothing when I urinated. Just generally uncomfortable.

I need some advice here. I've never had a UTI before. Am I just expecting too much too soon? I've been drinking plenty of water - 10 glasses per day and cranberry juice as well. Yesterday and today, I feel terrible again though.

Thanks for reading and for any advice. I appreciate it so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 06:59 AM   #2

sidnee74 HB User
Re: UTI? I have questions...need some help!

I just went through this. I would give the antibiotic the full ten days. I was only on a five day cycle of cipro, and like you, felt immediate relief as soon as I started taking it. But it I didn't feel completely better until I had taken it all. Sounds like your case is worse than mine - I think I caught mine early and started drinking cranberry juice right away - about a week before I actually got the meds. You should rest as much as possible. Having a UTI can really make you feel like crap. I didn't have the burning either - just the cramping and pressure and peeing a lot and not feeling well. My dr said to call her back, though, if I didn't get 100% better after taking the cipro. She said there was a chance I could have a kidney stone. I don't know if this applies to you or not, but if you don't feel well after taking all your scrip - I would call your dr. Best,
Sidnee

Old 05-13-2004, 07:26 AM   #3

BamaBabe HB User

Hi Sidnee,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate that so much! Whew..I'm relieved to hear that someone else has gone through the same thing. Well, I'm not relieved you had this problem but, relieved that the antibiotic could take 10 days.

Hopefully, this will get better soon. I can't stand it anymore!!!! I hope you are feeling better now.

I do think I let this go too far. I've read quite a bit and they say by the time you're vomiting and have back pain, it could be in your kidneys. I just kept thinking it would go away. My own fault.

Have a good day and thanks for the input!

Kim

Old 05-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBabe
This might be a long story--I apologize in advance. I've had ovarian cysts in the past so, when I experience slight, lower abdominal pain I generally associate it with a cyst, don't worry too much and the pain goes away. Mid February, I started having lower abdominal pain, thought it was a cyst. It felt like pain right above my pubic bone, like I normally have with a cyst. It never went away on it's own and gradually got worse. I started vomiting, feverish, chills, diarrhea, pain in my lower back and side..etc so I finally went to the doctor a week ago. I'm so afraid of doctors! So, my GP told me that my urine had blood, pus and bacteria present and I had classic case of a UTI. He prescribed Cipro for 10 days. I started taking it Saturday afternoon and by Monday, I felt so much better. The constant lower abdominal pain and pressure was nearly gone. So, Tuesday I went shopping all day, worked around my house in the evening, sat at my computer desk and worked all night. Wednesday, I woke up with the exact same pain (just as bad too) as before. I haven't missed a bit of medication and take it right on time. Why would the pain return just as bad before? Is this common with antibiotics? Will it take the full 10 days to get rid of this? I feel so stupid that I went out and did all of those things and now I'm in pain again. Should I just rest--does rest make a difference with antibiotics?

I should say that I didn't feel like I had any of the conventional signs of a UTI. No burning why I urinated or anything like that. Just constant pain and pressure above my pubic bone with a burning feeling inside. Nothing when I urinated. Just generally uncomfortable.

I need some advice here. I've never had a UTI before. Am I just expecting too much too soon? I've been drinking plenty of water - 10 glasses per day and cranberry juice as well. Yesterday and today, I feel terrible again though.

Thanks for reading and for any advice. I appreciate it so much.
UTI's can be so painful to not be too serious in the scheme of things. I think the anti-biotic, the cranberry juice, the AZO and a hot water bottle to the belly are about the only things that work. IF they don't over a period of a week or so, the doctor needs to take a good long look.

Old 05-16-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

teachergirl64 HB User

Be sure to finish your meds even if you are feeling better. If it comes back a day or two after you finish the antibiotics, please don't fool around; call your doctor and let him know. UTI's can go to the kidneys very easily.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #6

BamaBabe HB User

Thank you all for the help. I had one dose of Cipro left and decided to go back to the doctor so he could see if it had cleared up-I did feel quite a bit better. After the urinalysis, he said that white blood cells and red blood cells were still present although no bacteria is. Is this normal? He gave me another 7 day script for Cipro and is referring me to a urologist now. I don't know if I needed more antibiotics or..if this just isn't responding to treatment. I have no idea since I've never had anything like this before. I am very scared at this point. I feel better but, I still have an infection and Cipro hasn't helped much apparently.

Closed Thread