It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

npille HB User
Problems after Laser Prostate surgery

My husband Bill had an enlarged prostate (no cancer). He had recently had about five attacts where he had to go to an emergency room for treatment
because he couldn't urinate.

He elected to have Laser (Green Light) surgery to reduce enlargement. The surgery successfully removed enlargement and cleared a passageway. That was two weeks ago.
He had the catheter removed three days afterward and for a short period of time, he had bowel problems but could void. After a couple days he again could not void. He was in a lot of pain. He went back to the doctor who put in the catherter for two weeks. Doctor said bladder spasms were causing problem so gave him medicine also to help bladder. He also said uthera was probably still swollen. My husband is pretty depressed right now and would like to hear from others who may have had prostate surgery of any kind.
I am writing because he doesn't use computer much.

Bill would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had any surgery for prostate and who might know about bladder problems post-surgery.

The following user gives a hug of support to npille:
sarasota14 (11-11-2011)
Old 07-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

wood650 HB User
Re: Problems after Laser Prostate surgery

I had prostate surgery about a year ago. It was not the same as yours; it was called TUIP, where they go in an slice the prostate in a few places in order to open the urine passage up. I was in the hospital overnight and had a catheter for one day. I had no problems except a lot of burning when I urinated for several days. I know from reading that the catheter can cause spasms in the bladder, but I thought was usually while the catheter was still inserted. Anyway, it takes about 3 months for all the hearing to occur so don't be depressed; it will get better with time. I'm sure in the beginning the prostate was still swollen, and time will take care of that too. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2004, 04:12 AM   #3
(female)

npille HB User

Thanks a lot - I have been pretty anxious. Your post made me feel better.

Old 07-27-2004, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

Liane HB User

Hi. My husband had prostate cancer so had his prostate removed. After that surgery, the catheter stays in for three weeks. For him, it was three weeks of agony, as he had a bad reaction to the tubing, probably not a latex allergy but it clearly irritated him. After it was removed, he had muscle spasms too which caused an inability to urinate. The catheter was put in, then removed, then he seized up again, all requiring trips to emergency like yourselves. This happened five different times, and we were mightily frustrated, as you can imagine. He is on Flomax, which relaxes the muscles, and gets two doses per day rather than the regular one dose. This seems to have helped because he is urinating now without a problem. He is still a bit incontinent, but that is typical after prostate removal, and as a previous poster commented, it takes several months to get things back to normal. We are a bit concerned about the effect of the drug, but until the healing is complete and the pain is gone, which it isn't yet, we are hesitant to reduce the dosage. The cancer is totally gone, we are just now trying to get back to normal.

Closed Thread