It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 07:46 AM   #1

CC1995 HB User
Cystoscopy & Antibiotics

I was diagnosed this past january with Bladder cancer (I'm only 30 years of age, very uncommon for my age and also due to that fact that I never smoked or worked with dyes or chemicals or work in an environment with them). Anyway the tumor was removed in January and it was the lowest stage and grade cancer you can have. Meaning the chances of this turning into a visciuos malignant cancer in the future is only 5%, but the cancer could come back and if it does if will reoccur most likely as the same stage and grade. The only pain is that I would have to keep getting them removed. Anyway, I've gone for my 3 month regular followup cystoscopy today in office with local gel anistetic to numb my urethra and it went fine, 6 months no reoccurances thus far. But he usually prescribes antibiotics after the procedure to prevent infection due to a foriegn object being in my penis and bladder. I told him I didn't want them due to my stomach situation, I have mild colitis and antibiotics can cause upset stomach (don't want to mess up and kill the good bacteria flora in my stomach). Is this unwise of me to not take these antibiotics? The last 2 times i've had the procedure done in the hospital that gave me an IV drip of antibiotics while having it done and after they gave me a prescription to take them for 4 days afterwards. When i did take them, both Macrobid and Cipro gave me hives so i stopped after the first pill and I never got a UTI then. So I figured if i refused to take them now hopefully i'll be fine. Hoping that my nutrition and drinking lots of water and 100% cranberry juice cut with water (25% cranberry, 75% water) will help prevent an infection. Do you have any advice or similar experiences? I know some Urologists don't give antibiotics after in-office cystoscopys due to the fact that bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics and they don't believe in giving these unless there is an infection, not just as a preventative measure. Has anyone not taken a course of antibiotics after having an iin-office cystoscopy done? I'm very concerned since I don't want a UTI, but I don't want to mess with my stomach either.
Thanks Craig

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 08:34 AM   #2

Fairyboots HB User
Re: Cystoscopy & Antibiotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1995
I was diagnosed this past january with Bladder cancer (I'm only 30 years of age, very uncommon for my age and also due to that fact that I never smoked or worked with dyes or chemicals or work in an environment with them). Anyway the tumor was removed in January and it was the lowest stage and grade cancer you can have. Meaning the chances of this turning into a visciuos malignant cancer in the future is only 5%, but the cancer could come back and if it does if will reoccur most likely as the same stage and grade. The only pain is that I would have to keep getting them removed. Anyway, I've gone for my 3 month regular followup cystoscopy today in office with local gel anistetic to numb my urethra and it went fine, 6 months no reoccurances thus far. But he usually prescribes antibiotics after the procedure to prevent infection due to a foriegn object being in my penis and bladder. I told him I didn't want them due to my stomach situation, I have mild colitis and antibiotics can cause upset stomach (don't want to mess up and kill the good bacteria flora in my stomach). Is this unwise of me to not take these antibiotics? The last 2 times i've had the procedure done in the hospital that gave me an IV drip of antibiotics while having it done and after they gave me a prescription to take them for 4 days afterwards. When i did take them, both Macrobid and Cipro gave me hives so i stopped after the first pill and I never got a UTI then. So I figured if i refused to take them now hopefully i'll be fine. Hoping that my nutrition and drinking lots of water and 100% cranberry juice cut with water (25% cranberry, 75% water) will help prevent an infection. Do you have any advice or similar experiences? I know some Urologists don't give antibiotics after in-office cystoscopys due to the fact that bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics and they don't believe in giving these unless there is an infection, not just as a preventative measure. Has anyone not taken a course of antibiotics after having an iin-office cystoscopy done? I'm very concerned since I don't want a UTI, but I don't want to mess with my stomach either.
Thanks Craig
HI Craig - I too had something done in Feb-2004 and had a Tumor removed and now I too have to see DR for Bladder Scans every 3 months.
I have been seeing DR for my Bladder among other things for almost 3 years but not for tumors(I am Female) .
I had a 2nd surgery and did not know about my Tumor until I decided to finally have my surgery and was told in recovery they had found a tumor and removed it.
I never had anyproblems taking my Biotics- I took em Faithfully .
Good Luck to yah ~Roxanna

Closed Thread