It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
(male)

fishsticks HB User
Urinating pain after Cystoscopy

Hello,

My urologist needed to examine my bladder so he did a cystoscopy. He didn't find anything wrong. He advised I would feel some burning when urinating over the next couple of days. But in my case, it's REALLY bad burning whenever I urinate. It feels like a hot dagger is coming out of me, and I dread whenever I have to go pee. It's only been one day, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion/tips for providing immediate pain relief. I don't doubt within a few days it'll get better, but for the moment it's really bad. Any help/advice from others who have gone through this is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by fishsticks; 01-26-2005 at 03:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
(female)

JenniferB123 HB User
Re: Urinating pain after Cystoscopy

I don't know why they say a little buring, because it burned like crazy for me too. The doctor gave me some of those red pills that make you pee orange, it is suppose to help with the pain, and it did. It still burned but not as bad as if I didn't take the pills. The burning lasted about three to 4 days for me slowly going away. You might want to try advil, I suggest calling your doctor and seeking what is best for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
(male)

fishsticks HB User

Hi JenniferB123, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I love it when they say 'little burning' or 'mild discomfort'. When I urinate it feels like barb wire is being pulled through my prostrate and urethra. I did call my doctor's office today before they closed, and they phoned in a prescription for those same pills as you got which makes you pee orange (phenazopyridine). I took it a little while ago and did urinate a bit orange, but the bad burning didn't feel like it went down. I guess I have to give it a little time to work. Glad you told me about it taking 3-4 days for you, and the pain lessening but not going away entirely. At least I know what to expect and possibly deal with. At this point any lessening of the pain is better than nothing. Talking with people, like yourself, who've gone through the same thing is sometimes different than what the doctor's office says. All I kept hearing from their office today was 'oh slight discomfort is expected', 'it should only last for a couple of days'. They phoned in prescription which gave me enough of the pills to last only for 2 days. I hope that's enough or else I'm having doc's answering service page him on Saturday, which I'm sure will thrill him. I also took Advil, thanks for the advice.

My main problem that started all this is a few months back I was getting slight urine discharge at night time when I sleep, intermittently, maybe 2-6 times a month. Not a whole lot, just a little which my briefs absorbed. All the tests they've done so far have found nothing. He also has me seeing a neurologist, which also has found nothing. The neurologist said he's probably going to have me get an MRI of my brain to eliminate MS as a possible cause. My urologist had planned on bringing me back to do some other test (cystometrogram) where they fill up my bladder at differing rates and volumes and what not. Given my bad experience with the cystoscopy, I'm extremely hesitant to have them do the next procedure. At this point I'm 95% sure I do not want to go through with it. It's not so much the procedure but dealing with the pain afterwards. I hope my doctor doesn't get annoyed with me. So far he's been pretty good in listening to what I have to say and understanding my concerns. Anyway, thanks for listening and letting me vent a bit. Best regards.

Last edited by fishsticks; 01-26-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
(female)

JenniferB123 HB User

Well if you feel like it really,really hurts tomorrow then you might want to call your doctor to rule out anything else like a infection.

The pills won't work magic, and they took awhile to work. Like I said it still hurt me to use the bathroom when I was on them, but when I all of a sudden ran out of the pills I for sure felt the difference.

Just make sure you don't run a fever and there is no blood. (If I remember correctly that is what they told me) But check with your doctor if you feel it is getting worse.

Personally, I have a lot of bladder problems. I had a cystocope about a year ago for pain and micro blood in the urine, plus I have frequent urination problems. I hate having procedures like that done, he had to stretch out my Urethra and each time they do that causes scarring, which can lead to a whole set of new problems.

I hope you find out what is the cause of your problems, it is so frustrating not knowing. The next time you have to have somthing like this done, maybe they can give you a strong pain med right after the proceedure and then some pills to take home with you to help cope with the pain.

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 01-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
(female)

mary50 HB User

Wow I'm sorry this happened to you. I had a cystoscopy and it was a piece of cake, I just had very minor discomfort but nothing to call the doctor about, it was gone by the second day . He even let me see my bladder on the monitor and it was cool. However he has not found my problem yet
I sometimes think he only wants to take my co-pay..LOL

Old 01-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #6
(male)

fishsticks HB User

Just as info, I'm on my second day with the pills that make you pee orange, and I can honestly say the burning pain hasn't lessened at all. This is my third day since the cystoscopy and if anything I think I'm getting more used to the pain, that is I know the amount of burning to expect. Hopefully by the end of tomorrow I'll notice a significant difference. My pills run out today. Regards.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #7
(female)

JenniferB123 HB User

Well your pain I think should be less by now, but everyone is different. Maybe call your doctor or nurse and see if this is normal. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
(male)

fishsticks HB User

Thank you JenniferB123

Old 01-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

dokken HB User

I too had the C-scope and it was very uncomfotable. For me it only burned the first day and then it was ok. My Doctor did give me 500mg of Keflex just in case there was an infection intrduced by the scope and guess what ?? My Doctor has no idea what is wrong with me either...blood in urine..etc... all I know is I had a stone in my prostate the seemingly broke in two but my problem started at the end of August....

Old 01-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
(male)

fishsticks HB User

Dokken, my doc also gave me some antibiotics, levaquin, to take for 2 days. And similar to you, they warned me in advance they may not find anything as to my original condition with all these tests and examinations. My pain symptoms was similar to JenniferB123, it's getting better after a few days. My first two days the pain literally made me jolt during urination and sent a shock through my system; the third day it still burned a lot but didn't jolt me as much; the fourth and fifth days I feel a slight burn but I can put up with it. The medicine they gave for the pain, which made me pee orange, didn't do anything to reduce it.

Sorry to hear you problem hasn't been resolved yet. Hope all goes well for you.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
(male)

Randy1234 HB User

Hello. I just had my cystoscopy about 3 hours ago and while the procedure was fast and not very painful, urinating has been unbearable. I even took a vicadin when I got home and it didn't help. I dread every time I have to go to the bathroom. I was told that there would be some slight burning, but I can honestly say that this is the worst pain, I have ever felt. They told me to keep drinking water, which I am...but that's just going to make me have to go even more. I'm literally screaming and doing jumping jacks when I go...once the urine stream starts, it's "slightly" better....but getting to start is HELL. I've done the washcloth thing and the warm bath already...Anybody have more tips? I can't see myself dealing with this for more than a day...especially when I have to go to work. Luckilly it doesn't hurt while I'm not urinating. Is THIS much pain normal? I don't see any blood or anything.Good luck to all.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
(female)

ProjektRaRa HB User

I had my cystoscopy 5 days ago and the burning pain, while SLIGHTLY better, hasn't really improved. It burns intensely, particularly right when I start and finish urinating, and I'm still spotting a little bit of blood. Granted, it isn't quite as bad as the barbwire/lemon on papercut pain when I first got out of the doctor's office, it still is pretty horrible. I'm on Levaquin and the doctor also prescribed Prosed for pain relief but it doesn't help. I'm hoping it'll get better within the next week. I have an appointment in two days and I'm definitely going to bring it up.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
(male)

chris7808 HB User

Just had a cystoscopy 2 days ago. The procedure really wasn't that bad, I was anticipating far worse, but urinating afterwords has to be the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. Those little 'orange pee' pills help alot, but not nearly as much as I want them too. That "slight discomfort" is BS. I've been stabbed in the face before, and that didn't hurt NEARLY as much as peeing after a cystoscopy.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
(female)

ahargra2 HB User

I had the procedure done a few days ago and the pain I felt when I urinated after the procedure was unbearable. This is going to sound gross but it works to provide pain relief at least for a woman. Before you need to urinate fill your bathtub with enough water to come up to your waist while sitting in the tub. The water should be neither hot or cold just lukewarm. When you need to urinate sit in the tub filled with lukewarm water and urinate in the water. This provided greater relief than any pain medicine provided.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

ahargra2,
It sounds to me what MAY be happening is that your Urethra is "spasming" when you urinate, which would explain the "warm bath water" helping with it. Does it burn when you go?
I had a Hyst/bladder sling done about 10 years ago, and my bladder never regained function. Ive been self cathing for 10 years now. I ended up with nerve damage from the "Hysterectomy" part of the procedure.
My bladder no longer "contracts", which in order to pee, it needs to. I dont have the earge to pee, but what I do get are some powerful spasms from the urethra. Which happens when the weight of my bladder becomes too much for my urethra, and thats when I know I need to cath.
Have you talked to your doctor about what your feeling? They MAY be able to give you an antispasmotic to relieve that pain, rather than having to take pain meds.
For me antispasmotics wouldnt work because it WOULD take away the spasm..BUT I would never know when to empty my bladder(self cath) so to this day I still deal with urethra spasms. But for you IF this is what is happening, because your bladder does function, may give you some relief, and speed up your recovery. Just a thought.
I dont understand why the doctors allow patients to go through this when it can be avoided! And would choose to give patients pain meds rather than an antispasmotic. Just dont make since to me.
Anyway, I hope you find some relief soon, Please let me know how you make out.
Take care and God bless,
Annette

Closed Thread