It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

klasikal88keys HB User
How long should it take for recovery after a TURP?

My husband had a TURP operation on Dec. 9. He still has a lot of discomfort and is urinating frequently, especially at night. The urologist has him on the Oxytrol patch for overactive bladder. This still doesn't seem to help. Has anyone else had this operation and taken a while to feel normal again? Thank you in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to klasikal88keys:
cwright66 (11-11-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klasikal88keys For This Useful Post:
Bettah (11-07-2012), kweyanga (05-18-2012)
Old 01-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
(male)

dreamer54 HB Userdreamer54 HB User
Re: How long should it take for recovery after a TURP?

It took me about 6 or 8 weeks to finally start feeling normal again. It`s been 4 months now and I feel as good as new. I think it varys from person to person though, depending on how severe the conditions were beforehand. I have heard of men who could not control their bladder for 6 months afterwards and others who have no problem urinating after only a week or two. I found relief in taking cranberry capsules and Saw Palmetto ( an herb), they really seemed to speed the recovery. Tell your husband to hang in there. He should be feeling better soon. Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to dreamer54 For This Useful Post:
kweyanga (05-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
(female)

klasikal88keys HB User

Hi Dreamer. Thanks so much for the reassurance. My husband would like to know if you had any problems with frequent urination afterwards. He is going to the bathroom every 1 to 1 1/2 hours. He also has discomfort when he sits and asked if you had this, too. His doctor keeps telling him that this should get better, but it seems a very slow recovery and he's looking for more support. Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
(male)

Yes, after the TURP I felt as if I needed to empty my bladder often. This feeling did fade little by little as time went on. I also had discomfort when I sat. What I did was purchase a type of inflatable ring seat which helped out quite a bit. It looks sorta like a childs life preserver that kids use while swimming. It certainly did take the pressure off while sitting. The TURP does take a while to recover from, however, the end results do seem worth all the pain and discomfort. The other procedures ( laser, microwave) don`t last as long from what I have read, I think you husband will find that he made a good choice in deciding on the TURP. The only side effect I have noticed is retrograde ejaculation, which is more mentally disturbing then physically. The feeling after orgasm eventually will be the same as what he was always used to. Tell him he`s over the worst part now.

Dreamer : )

Kooklet (04-26-2011)
Old 01-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

klasikal88keys HB User

Dreamer54, thank you for your responses. I hope you don't mind some more questions from my husband. What has been so bothersome to him has been the frequency of urination. He used to have to urinate frequently before the TURP, but not nearly as much as now. As I mentioned before, the doctor first put him on Detrol LA and now he is using the Oxytrol patch. This doesn't seem to be doing him any good. Had you taken anything for your bladder control? How frequent were your urination urges? My husband really appreciates being able to communicate with someone that had a similar experience. He hasn't been getting too much positive support from the urologist. The doctor told him he would be OK 2 weeks after the TURP. Thank you again.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
(male)

My original probem was that I could never totally empty my bladder. My Urologist had me on Cardura prior to the surgery but it didn`t help much at all. Frequency of urination? Probably twice as much as normal, maybe every couple of hours. After the surgery I did have the urge to go quite a bit however that faded within maybe a couple of months. Also, it seemed that whenever I was due for a bowel movement I felt like a had to urinate also. I believe that your "receptors" are messed up after the surgery causing this problem. Some men will even become incontinent for a short period of time but return back to normal after things heal. Your husband should be having a much stronger flow now and it should be easier for him to void. I can understand how hard it is dealing with his doctor. They tend to intimidate their patients. My question to him would be, "am I retaining urine and is this why I have the urge to go so often" ? Doctors can tell if their patients are retaining urine by checking their bladders with an Ultrasound Test.

soul2soul (06-06-2012)
Old 01-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
(female)

klasikal88keys HB User

A couple more questions from him.....his stream is stronger now, but not very long. Sometimes he also only voids a few drops, then feels the urge to go again immediately afterwards. Does this seem normal? Also, he feels the urge to make bowel movements but a lot of times he doesn't go or goes very little. Did you have any of these problems? Is this also part of the recovery?

Old 01-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
(male)

The part about the bowel movements seems to be very similar to what I went through. Three or four times a day I felt like I had to have one and it actually got confusing at times knowing if I had to urinate or have a B.M . That sensation faded in 2-3 months. Since his stream is stronger now, I would think that the operation was a success and once he heals the rest of the way, he`ll be back to normal. If his stream wasn`t any different, I would be inclined to say that the doctor didn`t do a good job and didn`t remove enough tissue when he did the TURP. After I had my TURP, I was surprised that it took me as long as it did to recover. I think your husband just needs more time for his internal parts to heal now. His symptoms don`t appear to be anything out of the ordinary for the amount of time since the procedure. I know what he`s going through, it`s not easy believe me. Be extra nice to him this weekend............these are the orders from Dr. Dreamer..................haha.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
(male)

A couple more important things I forgot to mention and perhaps his doctor didn`t tell him either. It`s very important that he is not constipated while recovering. He needs to stay "regular" either by eating more fiber or by using something to prevent constipation. I used a natural stool softener. It will be easier all around if he can maintain regularity because by being constipated, it will put pressure on his prostate gland. Also, if he`s still passing clots, it will naturally be harder to urinate. I passed clots and tissue for weeks after my surgery. The only thing other then time which will help is to drink more fluids.........Cranberry Juice helped but I also took Cranberry Capsules. Ok......i`m done now. Go back to pampering your hubby. Have a nice weekend !

Dreamer : 0 )

Last edited by dreamer54; 01-30-2005 at 06:36 AM.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #10
(male)

dodgy-todger HB User

Hi people.
I too had a turp on April 6th and I am also experiencing the sensation of sitting on something which is not so much of a problem if you are told about it, I wasn't and by the sounds of it your husband wasn't either Klasikal88keys.
There are also a number of other symptoms that I am experiencing and wondered if anyone else experienced same.
Let me state from the outset that before the op I was not able to urinate at all so was self catheterising 3 times a day for 9 months. After the operation for the first 2 weeks it was like urinating from a hose pipe with no phisical effort at all but now I feel the stream is not as strong and I do have to push.Saying that I am able to go & feel that I do void
Is it normal to have to push or what?
Secondly I have the sensation that a piece of string is being drawn through the penis in the latter stages of urination. Has anyone else experienced this problem & if so does it improve over time?
dodgy.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #11
(male)

SLFNYC HB User

I am 50yrs old,and supposed to go for TURP this week

Doctor says Its a one day hosp stay and the catheter will be removed the next day.Then I will be released from the hosptial.
He also says revcovery time is 2 to three weeks.

But I read that the Catheter may be in for 3 days, and recovery time is 2 months.

Does anyone konw the real truth.

How long is the recovery period, Are there any risks involved

Last edited by SLFNYC; 10-24-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: More Info

Closed Thread