It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 03:05 AM   #1
(female)

Rain820 HB User
How Long Does a UTI Last

A few days ago, I suddenly had to pee millions of times for a few hours. The next day, that was better but I had cramp-like feelings in my lower abdomen and lower back all day. Research and talking to some friends all seemed to indicate a UTI/bladder infection.

I happened to have an appointment with my gyno yesterday, so I decided to ask her to check for the UTI. I gave a urine sample, sure enough she said there was blood in there, so it "may be" an infection but she was sending the urine to the lab as well. In the meantime, she put me on Macrobid antibiotics for 5 days (2 a day for 5 days). This was only yesterday, so I've only taken it 3 times already.

I'm just wondering, because most of yesterday I had no lower back pain at all, but later on I did, and now I have it again. Is that still normal to have the back pain, and is it normal for it to continue a few days longer?

Oh and also, is it possible to be really tired from a UTI as well? Because this past week, I have been falling asleep really early and still being a bit tired the next day. Right now it's 6:00 am and I'm only awake because I fell asleep last night at 8:00, that's not like me at all!

Old 02-13-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
(female)

Rain820 HB User
Re: How Long Does a UTI Last

Hey again, well I have another issue going on now.

It seems my body was reacting badly to the macrobid (I think) because all day yesterday, I had this weird tingly, icy/hot feeling through my body on and off. Mostly in my upper arms and legs. I thought it was just back pain but when I looked up side effects for the drug, that was one of them. So I haven't taken anymore since yesterday morning, and today the tingly icy/hot feelings are gone.

However, I don't know what I'm supposed to do about this UTI now if I can't take the medicine my gyno prescribed. I tried to call yesterday but the office was closed. I called my primary doctor but they couldn't help because they said the doctor who prescribed the medicine has to do that. So, I guess I will call her tomorrow and tell her what happened. But in the meantime is it bad that I will be going a whole 2 days or so without any antibiotics?? I guess I have no choice other than running to the ER, but I don't want to do that unless it is really an emergency. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
(female)

KLWalsh HB User

I wish I could help you out. Did the urine dip show white blood cells? probably not, if she said it "may be" and infection. If there were no red blood cells, your uterus or bladder just may be irritated, and that's where the blood is coming from. So the antibiotic usage may not be necessary to begin with. I went through something similar last month, and had a follow-up urine dip this week which still showed blood, so I got a urinalysis on Friday, keeping my fingers crossed this is nothing serious. I'd just hold tight until you get your results, and drink lots of cranberry juice!

Old 02-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

Rain820 HB User

Well the doctor's office just called me back and said they got my urine culture back. There was no infection at all, so they said I should stop taking the antibiotics (which I did anyway cuz of the funky reaction).

This is a bit of a relief, but doesn't explain why I've had the odd lower abdomen and lower back pain on and off. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Any thoughts? Would urine cultures show any other types of illnesses that I should look into?

Old 02-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
(female)

KLWalsh HB User

you need to follow up w/the blood that was in your urine. I would wait until your symptoms go aay, then go in for a repeat urinalysis, to make sure the blood is gone.

Closed Thread