It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

bakoo HB User
odd odor when urinating

Hi there, I am a 20 y/o female with a rather embarassing problem. There is a very strong and unpleasant odor when I pee. I didn't know what this could be, because I have no other symptoms. No discomfort and no feeling like I have to pee all the time. Could it still be a UTI? I also heard it could result from diet as well. I've tried drinking water to tame it, but that didn't cure the problem.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Re: odd odor when urinating

Hi Bakoo
You may have an urinary tract infection. Recently I went to the doctor to have some blood work and other routine tests. I wasn't having any burning or pain but it turned out I had an infection. I took antibiotics for one week and it cleared up. I would get it checked out to be sure. Take care.

Mus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
(female)

sezzle HB User

hey i also had the same thing (the smell, nothing else), i noticed it about a year ago and didn't do anything about it, didn't think much of it. But i had a RAF medical a fews days back and they told me that i had a urine infection. I still need to go to the docs about it, but i'm worried becuase i have left it so long, what are the risks of having the infection for a long time? I am 16 and i am not sure what the causes could be, could someone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Sarah

Old 02-25-2005, 10:18 AM   #4

pillzpillzpillz HB User

hi - I went to the mayo clinic website and found this information:

Urine odor is related to the volume and concentration of a variety of chemicals excreted by the kidney. Normally, urine doesn't have much odor. If you're dehydrated and your urine becomes highly concentrated, it can have a strong ammonia smell. Many foods and medications — such as asparagus or vitamins — can also affect the odor of urine.

Most changes in urine odor are temporary and don't indicate serious illness. But sometimes an unusual urine odor can be associated with an underlying medical condition. If you're concerned about the odor of your urine, talk to your doctor.

Urine odor Potential medical causes
Strong ammonia smell Not enough fluids, dehydration
Foul smelling Bacterial infection of the kidneys or bladder
Sweet smelling Uncontrolled diabetes
Musty smelling Liver disease; phenylketonuria, a rare, inherited metabolic condition
Maple syrup smell Maple sugar urine disease, a rare, inherited metabolic disorder

Old 02-25-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
(female)

JenniferB123 HB User

I had the same thing happen about a year ago, went away after several months...

Old 02-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
(female)

XxWonderingxX HB User

Sezzle, if you do have a urinary tract infection and let it go without treatment it will progress to a bladder infection then a kidney infection. If you aren't having any lower back pain (to the sides), then more than likely it is not a kidney infection yet. Thats all the info I can give you really....I've had three UTIs in the last year and a half, but have always caught them early enough to get treated easily. Good luck!!

Old 03-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
(male)

JERRY 104 HB User

Have you been eating any Asparagus latley? In some people it makes the most awfull smell but its harmless!!!

Closed Thread