It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

PA2LA HB User
fun with catheters and other painful devices...

Well, I finally went to see a urologist today, with my husband.

After dealing with the horrible sense of feeling like I never empty my bladder, maybe, on Monday, I'll know what this is or isn't.

I didn't expect to have all of the tests done today, but I'm glad that they are out of the way. I have been very anxious about having anything inserted into my urethra. At least, now I know that it does indeed hurt, but I was much more calm not knowing exactly what the doc was doing at any particular moment!

So, 6 trays of cultures will be done. I had swabs done all over the place! It will be helpful to understand once and for all what is causing this discomfort. Vaginal swabs were taken and then the doc just did a short-insertion swab of my urethra. OUCH. Then, she explained how she was disinfecting the area for the clean catch sample: the dreaded catheter. She used a flexible tube and the smallest diameter possible; the pediatric one. Then, in it went. OUCH. NO REALLY, OUCH!

I'm still feeling pain from it and it is making going to the bathroom even worse than it was before! At least I didn't have any burning, but this feels like I should be bleeding!

My poor, dear husband didn't fare any better! In order to make sure that we aren't passing something back and forth, especially since I've had 3 rounds of antibiotics in 4 weeks, they did the same urethral tests on him!!

He didn't have the pleasure of the clean catch catheter, but I think that he was just as miserable having all of his parts examined, uh, how should I say this...aggresively! His swab is causing him the same amount of pain when urinating, too.

The doc checked the lump on his epididymis, and confirmed that it is not his testicle. That's good. But, it could be an indication that his bladder infection was not fully treated in early December and has now mainifested iteself in his most sacred of parts!

We are both such clean, particular people, that this is just so unfair! But, the doc was very reassuring in explaining that you don't have to look for bacteria, it finds YOU. Even chlamydia can live on a cotton towel for 47 hours. EEEW. Think about all of the other kinds that live on our skin by the end of a workday.

So, according to one of the most respected Urologists in Los Angeles, it is most likely that we are passing something back and forth, very, very common in intimate couples. Much moreso than I imagined. Another thing he said, "just because you don't hear anyone talking about it doesn't mean it isn't happening all over the place, just look at my appointment book".

Now, IC is by no means ruled out for me, but we'll get the cultures back on Monday and hopefully know how to treat from there.

Oh, he told me to STOP THE CRANBERRY JUICE! He said to get the cranberry capsules. There is way too much sugar in the juice and that is not helping re-establish the flora destroyed by the antibiotics. Only plain or vanilla yogurt and plain water. A yeast infection could be raging inside my body without me even knowing and that is kind of scary...no thanks to my soon to be ex-doctor.

sorry the saga is so long, but I can only hope that this might help someone else get through their own ordeal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #2

todlyb HB User
Re: fun with catheters and other painful devices...

Certainly helps.

Really looking to see at the results.

So all in all you would consider my gf's constant urination and somewhat vaginal pain to be from just various things that pass between us?

I have these white bumps on my scrotum however i've asked my doctor and he said they are "xxx granuals " xxx being something like 4d's granuals or something and it was nothing to worry about as alot alot of males have them. Just oil glands.

But anyways, i guess the towels or w/e it might be.. so i guess i'm really interested in what to tell her to try and help her w/her problem and find a fix!

Old 04-01-2005, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

PA2LA HB User

Well, your girlfriend might just have a the "gruesome twosome", bladder infection w/resulting yeast infection (likely result of anitbiotic treatment, antibiotics sometimes kill all too much "friendly" bacteria in the vagina).

It takes a few weeks to get it under control, at which time you need to limit your contact or use extra precautions. It's not the most romantic time in your lives, but it is normal and it does go away. If she gets properly diagnosed, she may be treating more than one infection.

Yogurt will be good for her 2X-4X a day, and now that I know that the cranberry capsules actually work, I'd say that it's a safe bet. Sometimes the best treatment is the most simple and natural.

However, if she keeps going through this misery, that I know all too well, she needs to see a urologist. There are UroGyne's out there, but I didn't find one close to me. I couldn't put up with another week of having to pee all of the time, so my husband found a Uro and we went. I think I'm being treated just a thoroughly as I would with a urogyne.

The white bumps that you have are normal, too. My husband gets that occasionally and some never go away. The skin there is so delicate and thin that the oil and sweat ducts can only process so much. It's no indication of a harmful bacterial presence, so not to worry. No matter how much you shower or what kind soap you use, it's not going to disappear!

BTW:
"INQUIRER"'s posts have helped me tremendously. Without her/his posts, I would've been so much less educated going into this, and much more afraid...So, thanks, INQ.!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

PA2LA!

I've been wondering what's been going on with you! Well, as strange as this sounds, I hope it IS something that you and your husband have passed back and forth, as that may be easier to treat and eradicate for good! Sorry you had to endure all those unpleasant tests, though..

Keep us posted!

Inq

P.S. I'm a "she"...and you're welcome!

Old 04-12-2005, 04:58 AM   #5
(female)

Abrie25 HB User

Hey! I just read this post and others and wanted to let you know that I responded to the post you replied to on mine! Im so glad you got everything squared away and i had no idea about those things, cranberry juice does that ? I drink sugar free now though b/c i had a feeling all that sugar wasnt doing me any good. They came out with the splenda kinda i beleive with more juice. I dont know if thats much different, i would think so though. As for Chlymidia living on towels, OMG eww and i never knew about couple passing things. That actualy makes me less nervous about what i might have. well, if you get around to posting back id really appreciate it! thanks and again im so happy for you!

Closed Thread