It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Brand New Procedure for shrinking the Prostate?

Hi Anyone/Everyone,

I need information on a new procedure (I failed to get the name from the Urologist) for shrinking the prostate, which in turn will enlarge the pee pipe. It is done in a Dr. Office and you go home after an hour without a catheter. Like I said, I think it is really new. Please write if you know of anyone or have had experience yourself with this procedure. Or perhaps a website to visit?!

Thanks, Wannabe

Old 06-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Brand New Procedure for shrinking the Prostate?

Hi it's me again,

Anyone? I now have a name for this new procedure. Prolieve Thermodiation System - Cool Therapy, Trans-urethral office procedure. It is so new, they are doing 1 days worth of patients with the representatives (and Dr. and Nurse). My father will be in on the 2nd days batch of patients, in a few more weeks. So if anyone knows anything about this procedure or one sort of like it - give me info please!

It is supposed to shrink the prostate, thus making the pee tube larger. In office, no catheter to go home with, not too much pain. You are awake but sedated.

Thanks for any help. Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
(male)

peblestone HB User

I just had the procedure called GREEN LIGHT. It replaces the TURP. My Dr. uses
a Green Laser and burns some of the prostate, especially the part that causes
your BPH. Or as you say,Pinching your pp tube. The green laser is very inavasive procedure. Ask your urologist if he is qualified to do this. It is a one day operation under a general anesthetic. I had to have my catheter over night
as a precaution . There was minor blood drain and urine drain. They removed it the next day in the Dr. office. No problem. I reccomend it. There was NO pain.
and I am now peeing like a horse.........Good luck Bud

Old 07-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Bud,

Thanks for your help and reply. My dad goes in for a urine test Mon.(to check for infection). Then, if he has no infection, he gets his procedure done Thurs. in the Dr. Office. We get "informed" on Mon., when he gives his urine sample. I will report more later. Of course, if he has an infection he cannot get his "pee pipe" enlarged til another time!

Thanks again. Wannabe

Old 07-16-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi to anyone that want info on this,

I reported earlier about my 78 yr. old dad having a procedure called: Prolieve Thermodiation System Treatment. Here is a shortened version of what he had. An in office procedure, he took antibiotics a few days ahead and after, and a fleet enema to clean out just a little, dr. also gave him a valium and a hydrocodone 1 hr. b4 the treatment. He was not used to these drugs and was wacked out! Sort of funny. Anyway, They put him on a table and and only took off his bottom clothes. They put a numbing jelly in his penis, then a greased rectal monitor (has temperature gauge), then a catheter in his penis thru to his bladder (with a balloon inflated inside between his prostate (enlarged) ). There is water circulating thru the catheter to keep the temp down. The machine is then turned on and a microwave energy is sent thru your penis to where your prostate is. This works for about 45 min. The temp. is monitored very closely. There is not much pain. The process shrinks (burns) the part of the prostate close to the pee tube - on each side. That lets the pee tube get larger. In my dads case from 20% to 40%, we hope. We will not find out for a few weeks.

The good thing about this procedure is that you usually do not have to go home with a catheter - he did not have one. And it takes only a few hours total. He did have a little pain at home and bled for a day or two. Also had a little urgency and frequency urinating. But he is doing good now. He does not go back for 6 wks - to dr (urologist). Then they will do tests and see how much he was helped.

Sorry about the book, just thought some of yall might like the info. Wannabe

Old 07-25-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi all that are interested,

An update - not too good of one! My dad did have to go back in to the Dr. to have a catheter inserted, about a week after his procedure. He was dribbling a lot, and I guess not too much urine was coming out (I was not allowed to see as he has alzheimers). Anyway, he had the cath. for 5 days. He had it out this morning - 9 am - and seemed fine, and was very relieved to have it out. Then he could not pee much today, so went back in at 4:30 and was re-catheritized. Is supposed to get it removed Thur. at 9 am. They also gave him some pills this time 2 x day uroxatral. This is supposed to relax his prostate and bladder.

I sure hope it works this time. They also said the first time could have been because of scar tissue. He previously had prostate cancer - 2-3 yr. ago - and had radiation for that. Plus maybe scar tissue from this new procedure. Now, the dr. ofc. says that his retaining could be from swelling.

I guess this new procedure works for some and may work for others but with problems. We will see. I will report (just for anyone interested) again when I think we are done with all the problems!!!

Yall take care. And I guess do more homework that me! I have learned that a new procedure, needs more proving time.

Wannabe

Old 08-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi anyone that is interested,

Just another report. My dad had to wait til the next Monday to have his catheter taken out (a second time). Well, he did get it out and was able to pee on his own. He says he is getting a good stream. He does have an infection, probably from having the catheter in so long. He is so glad to have it out. He still has not gotten back all his control - not that it was perfect before. He is taking pills for the infection, for a week (2x day). And also, will probably be on the uroxatral for the rest of his life. He is 78 with Alzheimers and Parkinson, so the infection does not hurt - he knows sometimes that he hurts but does not know where or why.

He does not have to go back to the urologist for several weeks, and then just for a flow/quantity test and to make sure that the infection is better. Too bad this procedure could not have gone nice and easy, instead of being drawn out for a month!!!

Hope you guys learned from our inexperience. Take care. Wannabe

Old 08-24-2005, 10:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi all,

Hopefully, last update. We went to the urologist Tues. for a final (hopefully) visit. The dr. said he is as good as he is going to get (considering his age and illnessess). No more infections. He only has to take the Uroaxatral for 1 more month. Then, unless something goes wrong, he does not have to go back. Has gotten back most control, except, when he needs to go, he really needs to go fast!

Also, the dr. said that this procedure only lasts 3 - 4 yrs. Which really does not matter much in my fathers case! But, it might to some of yall. No one told us this in the beginning or at any other time, except the last visit.

Research tons. That is the key, to picking out the procedure that is right for you.

Wannabe

Closed Thread