It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

Ricki23 HB User
Unhappy Worm in Urine

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a worm in the urine.

I had been having some bleeding into my urine for about a day and half and on day 2 went to give a urine test and passed a worm in my urine. The lab said it was a four inch worm. It was sent to a lab in Boston and then sent to a lab in California only to be told that when they got it it was to dehydrated to identify what kind of worm it is. I have been so stressed out about this, because I'm so afraid there's more in there. I haven't had anymore of the symptoms I had before I passed this one, but am so stressed it will happen again. My Doctor says she can't treat me without knowing what kind it is, and I don't know how they will find out unless I pass another one or I see a urologist and they can look in there and I'm not looking forward to that.
Any and all responses to this post would be gratefully appreciated.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: Worm in Urine

Hi Ricki 23,

Are you a boy or girl? I have never heard of a worm b4. That is very disturbing. You need to go to a urologist and be sure and take all your paper work and test info. If they give you tests other than blood or pee, just ask them to sedate or calm you b4.

Hope you find out soon, what is going on. Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 01:58 AM   #3
(female)

angela2k4 HB User

seems to me that you have some kind of urinary parasite..

Old 08-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
(female)

Ricki23 HB User

Thanks for responding ToBeFreeToRoam

I am female and I have never heard of this before either. From what I've read on the internet it seems to be that the only way to get this is to be in contact with contaminated water. I might say I have never been out of the USA in my whole life and it says it happens in the tropics.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #5

nattalie74 HB User

Contaminated water could be it.I saw a show on this once.Maybe theres something you can get at the pharmacy for it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
(female)

Ricki23 HB User

Hi nattalie74,
Thanks for responding to my post. However I have a question for you.
The show that you saw on this do you remember if the contaminated water could be drank or was it from wading, bathing, etc.?

Old 08-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #7
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Ricki,
Do you live in the southeastern US by any chance? Some of the "tropical" parasitic infections have occasionally appeared in Florida or other southeastern states. Schistosomiasis is an one example that I think has popped up periodically in the US ... and yes it can involve the urinary tract.

You have to swim or wade in the water (drinking won't do it) to contract these types of infections. And it has to be fresh water, not ocean.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
(female)

Ricki23 HB User

Sorrel2,

Thanks for responding. I live in the state of Massachusetts. The only water I have been in was water we put in our pool for our pets I waded in it before they got in.
We do not have the greatest of water where I live. I was so hoping it could have been from drinking contaminated water, but you say can't be. So now I don't know.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:38 AM   #9
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Hmm, do you think it's possible that the lab made a mistake, and that it was actually mucus or your own body tissue, and not a worm?? What did the worm look like when you passed it? I would think that living in Massachusetts, AND not having swum in any natural freshwater bodies of water, would totally rule out any urinary parasites.

Have you had any kind of ultrasound on your bladder, or a cystoscopy or anything?

Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #10
(female)

Ricki23 HB User

It looked like a worm to me, it was 4 inches long according to the lab and it was of a grayish color to me. I have had no ultrasound as of yet, or cystoscopy not looking forward to that. Just gave another urine and stool speciman on last Friday, because the doctor wants to look at it again. It didn't look like mucous or body tissue. I am so frustrated and can't imagine a lab not knowing what they are looking at. Like I said before when one of the labs got it it was to dehydrated to identify what kind it was.
I have read that unsafe drinking water can be a cause and a few months ago when I filled my bottle for my water cooler, the water tasted very bad, but I kept drinking it.
I was hoping that could have been it.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Hi again Ricki. This is one of the most puzzling things I've read on these boards and I hope someone can figure it out. Four inches is pretty big for a urinary parasite. Schistosome worms, the tropical kind I mentioned earlier, usually only get to 1/2 an inch or so. I was doing some research on this because it is so strange, and I discovered that there is a type of roundworm called the giant kidney worm, which can live in the urinary tract and get pretty big. It's very rare, though. But it can be contracted by drinking contaminated water, or by eating contaminated fish. You can do a search on "Dioctophyma renale."

I think it is kind of irresponsible of the lab to let the worm get too dehydrated too identify. They should have been able to preserve it in such a manner to prevent that.

By the way, I live in Massachusetts too.

Good luck, I hope you figure this out.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:35 AM   #12
(female)

Ricki23 HB User
Smile Re: Worm in Urine

To any and all who have read my original post, I have had about three urine tests done all clean and also did a 24 hour urine, no parasites. Urologist suggested cystoscopy. I had that done today, bladder is fine, no worms, no tumors etc. Very irritable bladder and I believe I exacerbated it with my worry. Hopefully it will get better with this peace of mind that I got from todays test. Thanks to all who responded to my post.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
(female)

Jen0577 HB User
Wink Re: Worm in Urine

have you been drinking tequilla?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #14
(female)

xkittykatx HB User
Unhappy Re: Worm in Urine

I know this happened a while ago, and no one is probably reading this thread anymore...

But has this issue been resolved at all yet?
Do you know what it was??

I think the same thing happened to me earlier tonight. But I panicked and flushed it. Then I went online and started looking for what it might've been. It was even longer than yours (about 6 or 7 inches), and also grayish and flaky.

There's NOTHING on any other sites about anything similar to my situation. This is as good as I can get.

I just don't know what to do! This is scaring me...

Please tell me it was resolved! =(

Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #15
(male)

wings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkittykatx View Post
I know this happened a while ago, and no one is probably reading this thread anymore...

But has this issue been resolved at all yet?
Do you know what it was??

I think the same thing happened to me earlier tonight. But I panicked and flushed it. Then I went online and started looking for what it might've been. It was even longer than yours (about 6 or 7 inches), and also grayish and flaky.

There's NOTHING on any other sites about anything similar to my situation. This is as good as I can get.

I just don't know what to do! This is scaring me...

Please tell me it was resolved! =(
I was at a relative's home when a worm showed up in the toilet. It was more white the gray, and was 3 to 4 inches long, and about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. Could it actually be something that lives in the sewer? Reason I am asking it no one would own up to using tape worms, which was a common practice back them. Oh, it was also Minneapolis, 32nd Ave and 45th street by the tennis cort. Strange. I would suggest you get a Bristol Stool Chart, and follow your condition with a Toiletta, both found on the internet. Chart is free, and the Toiletta is 4 or 5 bucks. That will take the guess work out of your concerns.

Closed Thread