HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Urology (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/)
-   -   UTI -always coming back (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/326450-uti-always-coming-back.html)

bird_princess 09-21-2005 11:23 PM

UTI -always coming back

Hi all! I'm a 28 yo girl with reoccuring UTI's. Every year I have 2 or 3 UTI's, and I've had this problem for as long as I can remember...
At the moment of writing, I'm in pain, and I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow.

During the last few years, though, I've gradually become more aware of how to make preventative measures, but it seems that I can never be 100% protected from getting UTI's. They still return, and I keep taking antibiotics to get rid of them. Cranberry juice helps a little, and so does drinking plenty of other fluids.

Is it normal to get UTI's this often, I wonder? Could it be something I have a predisposition to? Will I always have this problem for as long as I live? :confused:

I'd love to hear back from someone with similar problems, or anyone who may know have an answer to these questions!

Bird Princess

KaraKaraKara 09-22-2005 06:19 AM

Re: UTI -always coming back

I have the same exact problem, only I get them once every few months! I also take preventive measures, but nothing seems to ever work, and the doctor visits are getting tiresome. Hopefully someone can help us out.

bird_princess 09-22-2005 09:11 PM

Hi Kara! I'm sad to hear you've got the same problem! It would be good to get some "expert" advice, wouldn't it?

Today I saw my GP again, and I have to go on yet another course of antibiotics to clear the infection! You're right that the doctor's visits are tiresome!! :rolleyes:

earlycat 09-30-2005 10:52 AM

bird princess and karakarakara,

I am a 29 year old who has chronic uti's. I've gone through a lot frustration and dr's appointments till I finally found one Dr. that would listen to me and help. What has been helping is an antibiotic called bactrum. the dr gives me an rx of about 30 at a time and I take them when I feel the burning start and I also take them after sex. Since taking bactrum I have had 1 uti in the past 3 years. I use to get them ever couple of months. I hope this helps! Good luck!

natalierscott 10-05-2005 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=earlycat]bird princess and karakarakara,

I am a 29 year old who has chronic uti's. I've gone through a lot frustration and dr's appointments till I finally found one Dr. that would listen to me and help. What has been helping is an antibiotic called bactrum. the dr gives me an rx of about 30 at a time and I take them when I feel the burning start and I also take them after sex. Since taking bactrum I have had 1 uti in the past 3 years. I use to get them ever couple of months. I hope this helps! Good luck![/QUOTE]

oh ladies.. that used to be me. I no longer get bladder infections at all. My steps are
1. always go pee after having sex.. always, no compromise
2. always have a glass of cranberry juice after sex.. again, Always..
3. then I mix water with cranberry juice for the next day after.

This has completely cleared me up. (It's been an adjustment though because I really don't like the taste of cranberry juice.)
But it's really worked.

mandar 11-07-2005 09:48 AM

i`m almost 16 & i have gotten UTI's about once to twice a year. what are the possible reasons i (& others) get them? they're really bothersome & now i'm missing a day of school because of it... :rolleyes:

threethings 11-07-2005 06:46 PM

has anyone had a test for ureaplasma? just curious. sometimes that causes similar symptoms but doctors don't always test for that.

earlycat 11-08-2005 08:36 AM

Mandar,

I am also prone to uti's and take bactrum as needed. before taking this antibiotic I would get uti's every couple of months. Your right it is very tiresome and I always felt like I was alone and no one else understood. I do know some causes of uti's but not all. My doctor told me I have a short urethra and that bacteria can get in there easily. Other reasons are intercourse, wearing tight pants, and I don't know if this has anything to do with them but I have noticed a difference depending on the type of soap I use in the bath and the type of laundry detergent I wash my undergarments in. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Threethings, I would also like to know what ureaplasma is. Thanks!

threethings 11-08-2005 05:57 PM

ureaplasma is a cervical infection that has the same type of symptoms as a UTI. sometimes doctors don't test for that so you're treated for a UTI but also / or have a ureaplasma infection. it can be sexually transmitted and i've heard you can also get it from people coughing on you. there's not a ton of info out there but i just thought i'd ask. :)

threethings 11-09-2005 05:57 PM

i think ureaplasma is only tested with a pap smear. some people are prone to UTIs. but once in a while someone has UTI symptoms and they could have ureaplasma. don't know. just a thought. :)

BarbaraH 11-15-2005 08:48 AM

I haven't seen this mentioned, but in case someone hasn't been told this along the way, always wipe front to back after using the bathroom. Wiping the other way introduces more bacteria to area of the urethtral opening and contributes to UTIs.

Barbara

jennysmith6 11-25-2005 10:09 AM

I have had the same stories that everyone of you have. I had the painful urination, frequent urination, pain in my kidneys. I currently have Interstitial Cystitis (IC) which is a chronic bladder disease. This is how my journey started out was a UTI/Kidney infection every month before, during and after my period. Then I would be ok for a week then there it would come again. IC is a disease of the bladder lining which has small cracks in the walls that bleed. When these cracks are exposed to certain elements such as food, drinks, sex, smoking, etc. it causes a "flare-up". I am not sure if this is what you might have but this disease is really undectable until there is a bladder distention done with a cystoscopy. This is done by a Urologist. This is a very rare disease and my own Dr. knows nothing about it except minor details. He has learned most from me.
Does any of you have the increased symtoms around your period? Does it worsen after you drink cranberry juice which contains HIGH amounts of acid.
If it continues to happen frequently I would contact a Urologist.
This is how I describe IC.....imagine a blister in between your toes and it pops...painful enough right...then pour alcohol on the open sore..that is my introduction to Interstitial Cystitis. I pray that you all don't have it but if you are suffering from it, get help and stay strong.
Jen

tmarie1990 12-31-2005 07:47 PM

This is for everyone with the frequent UTI problems. I am not a doctor, but have been having the same problems. Since July 05' I have had countless UTI's and many antibiotics! Very frustrating! Finally, my Dr. sent me to a Uro. He did a cystoscopy and found many bladder polyps. He said these could be causing the infections. I am now scheduled to have them removed in January. I hope this helps someone.