It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #1

john_ct1 HB User
UTI and Nausea?

I have a question about UTI symptoms. My otherwise healthy 74 y.o. Mother started having morning nausea, vomiting and lightheadedness a few days ago. (not too likely that she’s pregnant, ) Her pcp told her over the weekend to go to the hospital ER and have it checked out. He was worried about dehydration. They did a complete work up (chest X-ray, blood tests and urinalysis) and the only thing that was abnormal was a high WBC from her urinalysis (25-50), which the doc said was very high. WBC from the blood test was normal though. They said it was a UTI, gave her IV fluids and IV antibiotics and sent her home with a script for oral antibiotics.

My question is can nausea be a symptom of a UTI? She has had UTI’s in the past but she always had your typical symptoms but never nausea and vomiting as her only symptoms. She’s been on the antibiotics for a day and half and still had bad nausea this morning. How long does it usually take for the antibiotics to kick in? She has an appointment to follow up with her pcp tomorrow.

Thanks, John

Old 01-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

jasminetea HB User
Re: UTI and Nausea?

Sorry she's not feeling well. I don't know much about antibiotics but I am sure nausea can be a part of a UTI. If she's not already taking probiotics she should do so because antibiotics are really hard on the stomach and will make her feel pretty lousy. Just make sure not to take the probiotics 2 hours before or 2 hours after the antibiotics because it can interefere with the prescription.

I think the antibiotics should kick in after a few days but it really depends on the severity of the bladder infection and the length of time it went untreated.

Hope she feels better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #3

john_ct1 HB User
Re: UTI and Nausea?

Thanks for the info. Yes I just gave her a package of Probiotic Pearls day. She went to her PCP today and he was stumped. He sent her for additional blood work and an abdominal ultra sound. Hopefully we'll get the result soon. One thing we do know from the ultra sound is that she has a kidney cyst in the center of one kidney. I don't know if that could be causing all the nausea. I'll post that question.

-John

Closed Thread