It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

shonks5 HB User
can you have a uti without a positive urinalysis?

I have been having what seems to me as urinary burning and pain, a little while urinating, but mostly after finished also have some pain just above the pubic bone, and feel as if I have to go to the bathroom all the time. I did have a slight e-coli uti but was treated with macrobid, and then keflex. I went yesterday to the dr. because I still have symptoms. He did a vaginal check and said that there was some slight inflamation in the cells and the area looked a little irratated, so he gave me flagyl said use that, pushed my estrogen back up, as I just lowered it about a month ago. Did a urinalysis said the dipstick was negative, but would send it to culture anyway. My question is, can you still have a uti if the urinalysis is negative?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
(female)

ala1979 HB User
Re: can you have a uti without a positive urinalysis?

I dont think so, but your bladder can become very sensitive from the infection itself. I have had 1 UTI in my life and now am dealing with bladder sensitivity. Been treated with macrobid and Detrol for three months and will continue for another three. Got to a Urologist for the best diagnosis. They will know exactly the tests to run. God Bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

Hi
I thought I had a UTI (had two before) so I went to the DOC and my urine sample showed that I had no growth on my culture. I still have the burning though. I have been wondering the same thing about whether I could still have a UTI even though the culture says no. Also I think I see you on the pregnancy boards. When did you have your baby. I had mine two weeks ago and thinking that maybe something down there just got irritated during delivery. I would be interested to see when you delivered. Looks like we are in the same boat here!

Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
(female)

jasminetea HB User

Yes, you can have a UTI and the tests don't show it. I have a ureaplasma urealyticum infection that went undiagnosed for nineteen months. No one thought to test for until finally a chronic fatigue doctor did. If you are still having symptoms ask your doctor about MYCOPLASMA infections. It might not be the answer but it's a possibility.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
(female)

shonks5 HB User

Sorry if I sound stupid, but how do you contract mycoplasma? And why don't the doctors check for it? Do you check for this with a urine analysis? I will call and ask for the test, because I still am having symptoms, and am starting to get depressed about it. I feel like I have cramps all of the time. and burning on urination. What a pain! I have been on three differant medications for this. Macrobid, Keflex, and a cream for a vaginal infection that I'm sure I didn't have. The doctor only saw some inflamation cells on my vaginal culture and didn't say a word about any bacteria! Do you know if any of these drugs would have killed mycoplasma ? Thanks for the information!

Old 01-31-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
(female)

threethings HB User

Ureaplasma / mycoplasma is an infection that is controversial. i say controversial because nobody is 100% on how people contract it. it can be sexually transmitted but at the same time, everyone has a certain level of ureaplasma in their body and at times it flares up for unknown reasons. you need to have a pap smear to check for it. zithromax is usually the antibotic that is described to treat it. it causes burning and frequent urination and even after taking the antibiotics the symptoms can last for a long time.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:48 AM   #7
(female)

shonks5 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I went back to the doctor again, and she checked me for everything but. She said that mycoplasma is very rare, so she didn't check. She did check for other stds though (all negative, of course). I've been married for 30 years with the same person who I'm pretty sure is faithful, but the doc wouldn't check for the myco. If she would check for those other things, then why wouldn't she check for that! I just don't get it!!! Does this sound crazy to anyone else but me? I might have those other infections but couldn't possibly have the myco, which may not even be an std, I didn't really think that I had anyway. For me it would be more rare to have the std!!!!! OH GOSH!!! Anyway she told me that if I continue to have problems, that I should go see a urologist. Maybe he will do the test. Again, thanks for the info.

Closed Thread