It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
(male)

MachOneMustang HB User
Angry My urine is cloudy and has an odd smell. Sometimes it burns. Urinalysis... negative?

Hello all,

I am a 20 year-old male. Prompted by recent abnormalities in my urine (and sensations while passing it), this past week I went to my doctor to get a urinalysis. When I say “abnormalities,” I am primarily referring to a frequent opaque cloudiness (sediment-like), slight discomfort (in the form of a burning sensation) when passing, and a sometimes-noticeable strong smell that, if anything, smells rather sweet. I have been self-convinced for quite some time that I had a UTI.

I began to take notice of the aforementioned symptoms soon after (days, that is) I neglected to urinate after being awoken mid-morning by the urge to. Too tired to really care all that much, I drifted back to sleep. Approximately a half hour later, I was awoken for the second time for the same reason, only now it was more prevalent. Again, too fondly acquainted with my pillow that night, I ignored the alert yet again. Needless to say, not much time would elapse before I was awoken for the third time. This time, I actually got out of bed. However, when I went to urinate, quite less than what I had anticipated actually came out. Perplexed, I simply went back to bed. This was approximately 3 months ago.

Over the months, I have done very little to investigate the symptoms simply because school and work demand too much of my time for me to stray very far from them. To be quite honest, I was hoping the symptoms would remedy themselves (I thought UTI’s went away on their own). Unfortunately (and obviously), they have not, and I would now like to seek out the source of the abnormalities before they mature into something greater. Another occasional symptom I experience is inaccurate sensations in regards to how intense I actually have to urinate (either too much or too little) and, more recently, slight uncontrollable dribbling after I have urinated.

So, fast-forwarding to this week…

Monday, I made an appointment to see my doctor. By a stroke of good luck, I was able to get in that night. However, since I could not produce a specimen that night at the doctor’s office, my doctor gave me a specimen container and told me to take a sample from the first urine of the day; I would drop the specimen off on my way to school. This would be beneficial, he said, for that urine has remained the longest in the bladder and would most likely contain higher concentrations of whatever was inducing the cloudiness. After taking the specimen (average color with opaque cloudiness as expected) and sealing it in the container given to me, I let it sit out while I took a shower. About 30 minutes later, I came back to discover that whatever was floating around in my urine, giving it cloudy properties, had settled to the bottom of the specimen container. Baffled I was, yet glad, knowing that the specimen would undoubtedly suggest a UTI.

However, it did not… at least that is what the nurse who performed the tests told me. She also told me that my urine would be sent to a laboratory to find out what IS in my urine. Following is what my doctor’s office (on-site) tested for and their results.

Leukocytes: negative
Nitrite: negative
Protein: negative
Glucose: negative
Ketones: negative
Urobilinogen: 1
Bilirubin: + small
Blood: negative
SG: 1.026

Fortunate for me, I am beginning my biological studies and have access to professionals that can give me insight. My biology professor (a PhD in anatomy & physiology) has shed light on the issue, which is that few things precipitate out of urine to settle, primarily bacteria, white blood cells, depository crystals, and protein. Bacteria and white blood cells would indicate a UTI or bladder infection, depository crystals could be an indication of pre-stones, and protein hints strongly towards kidney damage and/or malfunction.

However, since there is no presence of bacteria or protein in my urine, I am somewhat curious as to what really IS wrong with my urine.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to MachOneMustang:
slickerish (11-18-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread