It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User
Constant sensation of a need to urinate

Afternoon all, I'm new here so I'll give you a run down of the current problem.

About maybe six months to a year ago I noticed that I was dribbling a bit after peeing - just a drop or so but enough to leave a spot on light coloured trousers. This didn't happen all the time but enough to make me careful about 'dabbing' my John Thomas with a bit of bogroll before leaving the stall. Anyway, around the start of the year I started getting funny urinary symptoms - I would go for a pee, zip up and then have to whip it out and continue. Sometimes I had to squeeze hard to get everything out otherwise I would get a dribble afterwards - and sometimes did, squeezing or not.

Didn't think much of it until the end of February when I developed a constant urge to urinate. Can't remember when it kicked off exactly - I was in Wales for the rugby (Scotland vs Wales) and became aware of it shortly after. I went to the doctor who gave me a week's worth of amoxicillin for a UTI. This had no effect and I went to another doctor who took a urine culture and put me on Trimethoprim (not Trimethoprim Sulfate) for four weeks. Again not much joy with this stuff - in fact it seemed to give me horrible constipation.

To cut a long story short, the urine cultures came back negative for infection and Chlamydia and a blood test confirmed my PSA was normal. The doc at that point - after looking at a voiding diary I had kept - suggested it may be prostatitis or an overactive bladder. I'm now coming to the end of a four week course of Ciprofloxacin which hasn't cured it but has perhaps made me feel a bit better - although the sensation seems to wax and wane - and have been referred to an Urologist. Unfortunately there's about a three month waiting list to see him - the NHS is great but it ain't quick.

Other symptoms include an occasional mild pain in the abdomen and the groin - both on the right hand side and sometimes my rectum feels full when it isn't. Not sure if they are related. One thing I have found is that lying down - either on my back or my left hand side reduces the urge substantially and that I don't have any real nocturia problems - I maybe get up once a night if at all. I also have no incontinence - I can hold on for hours at a time if need be.

I'm 37 and male so I'm more inclined to think this is something prostatic rather than an overactive bladder - although, in fairness, I have always been a frequent pee-er. My questions are:

1) Does anyone have or has had something similar? If so, has it cleared up and how long did it take?
2) Could this be early onset BPH?
3) Is it worth continuing with the antibiotics until I see the Uro?
4) Is it worth adding Detrol to the prescription in the meantime?

Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 02:53 AM   #2
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User
Re: Constant sensation of a need to urinate

Anyone?

I guess I'm going to have to live with this then.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User

Sleeper,
It could be interstitial cystitis "IC" which is an inflammation of the bladder, though it affects more women than men. It's good you're going to see a urologist. He/she may want to scope your bladder just to be sure. Good luck

Suncat

Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User

Thanks - not sure it is as I don't have any pain at all in the bladder but I'll ask him to check it out. The sensation is more in the uretha than anything else.

Last edited by Sleeper678; 05-02-2006 at 12:50 AM.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
(male)

bubblehead12 HB User

ive a similar probelm u can check out my other messages in this site

Old 05-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
(male)

bubblehead12 HB User

please let us know if there is any breakthrough in your case

Old 05-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User

bubblehead - I'm not sure my symptoms are the same as yours although it sounds like you have prostatitis too which can cause a number of differing symptoms.

Prostatitis is a funny disease - it can cause a number of differing symptoms and, unfortunately, can hang around for a long time.

I've been taking Quercetin which seems to have helped with the pain symptoms, however the urge to pee is still constant during the day. Fortunately, lying down eases it and I can sleep OK with it. This makes me think that my prostate is larger than it should be - which my GP has confirmed - and is putting pressure on my bladder when I'm up and about. I have a Uro appointment in just over two weeks so we'll take it from there.

I am also taking doxaszosin. This helps with the stream although not with the urge. I have no or little post void dribbling.

I will let you know if there is an improvement, however if you do have prostatitis it may be a case that you have to tough it out for a good many months.

The best thing is to work with your GP and Uro to find something that works for you.

One crumb of comfort is that you'll note a lot of people who have complained about these symptoms stop posting after a while. This may very well be because the symptoms have been resolved or controlled.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
(male)

mefrin HB User

Try taking a course of virgin oregano oil (nature's antibiotic).

Old 05-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
(female)

airey HB User

It still sounds like interstitial cystitis. Check out ichelp and it might answer your questions. There can be different symptoms with different people. You can have pain with not urgency or urgency without pain.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User

IC is a possibility and I will have that checked out. Still more inclined to think it's prostatitis or BPH given the previous symptoms - imediate double voiding and dribbling - and my doctor's statement that my prostate is bigger than it should be for my age. In addition the pain I have isn't really in the bladder region, it's more just to the right hand side of the base of the penis and even then it's mostly pretty mild.

I have an appointment with a Uro on Thursday so we can begin narrowing it down then. In the meantime I am taking Quercetin, Flower Pollen, Zinc, Multivits and - because I am fortunate enough to have a trained herbalist for a stepmother - a tincutre of saw palmetto, nettle root and marshmallow root along with herbal tea.

Whether this works or not only time will tell.

Last edited by Sleeper678; 05-26-2006 at 07:59 AM.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 AM   #11
(female)

LAYLAVERITY HB User

Hi Have Read About Your Problem And It Sounds Like What Im Currently Experiencing :need To Wee Lots,pain In Groin And Generally Feeling Rough .gp First Diagnosed As Uti Even Though On Testing Wee With Stick Thing It Came Up Clear! Had Trimethoprim Like You, If Anything Got Worse Went Back Had Norfloxacin Ok For Few Days Then Same Again! Am Now On Cefalaxin And Dont Feel These Are Going To Do The Trick Maybe My Gp Will Refer Me Like You To A Urologist. Do U Feel Really Rough? Have To Say Feel Really Worn Down Now As Have Felt Like This For 2 Wks Now. Im Wondering Whether It Could Be Viral Especially As Not Showing Up In Wee? And Someone Else I Know Seems To Be Coming Down With The Same Thing.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #12
(male)

mad jamison HB User

If you haven't had a DRE (digital rectal exam) you might want to consider it. At least ask your doctor. Under normal circumstances the DRE wouldn't be something a young buck like you would need, but they recommend getting one when you're fiftyish. The reason you might want to have it done (and it's no big deal at all), is that the doc can tell if your prostate is swollen or there are any nodules or lumps. The symptoms you describe are common with an enlarged prostate.

Good luck.
Tim

Old 05-31-2006, 04:08 AM   #13
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User

Thanks, Tim. I've had the old finger up the jacksie from two GPs. The first one said it was smooth but prominent whilst the other said smooth but bigger than it should be for my age. My PSA is normal and no nodules so almost certainly not prostate cancer.

Off to the Uro tomorrow to see if we can narrow what it is down further.

Layla - I would recommend that your GP refers you to an Urologist as your problem hasn't responded well to antibiotics. However, in answer to your question, apart from the constant need to pee and some infrequent pain around the base of the penis, abdomen and groin I feel pretty good.

Mark.

Last edited by Sleeper678; 05-31-2006 at 04:16 AM.

Closed Thread