It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

freind123 HB User
Frequent urination urges and no other symptoms - need help

Hi ,

I am a woman 28 yrs old and am taking medication for hypothyroidism . I started frequent urination (almost every 20 mins) around 3 months back. I took cipro and macrobid for around 2 weeks.
These did not help and the doctor could not see any infection in the urine.
I have been ruled out for diabetes and kidney stones. In my first visit , doc asked me to take "detrol La" for 15 days. It did resuce my symptoms by a small amount.
In my next visit- my urologust checked my urethra through the cystocope and said that I had slight inflammation in my uretha.(I dont know how -- I am not sexually active and have had no injuries or accidents ). I was on peniciin for around 20 days when I started getting a lot of discharge and diarohe problems. the doc asked me to stop taking it and start on cipro for a month. The thing is after i took penicillin , my symptoms were better than before .. the urges were still there but the intensity had reduced and the best part is ... when I am busy , I dont feel the urge.
My urologust says that dilation of urethar should solve the problem. I have done some research on the web and I saw that dilation if performed once will again result in urethra shrinking and would require to be done again.
Please help if anybody else had the same symtoms ... please.. I really want to be healthy again ..

Last edited by freind123; 06-28-2006 at 04:59 PM.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Frequent urination urges and no other symptoms - need help

The inflammation the urologist saw could have been inflammed tissue due to infection in the glands in the uretha near neck of the bladder.

This area does not have a direct blood supply, it gets nourishment from adjacent tissue. Due to this, oral antibiotics do not clear the infection.

I personally suffered from this condition for years and years and finally a urologist saw oozing of fluid from the glands. Yeah, right, finally after so long of being in so much misery. Needless to say the oral meds did not clear the infection. Finally I took matters in my own hands and with the help of my dermatologist who was well versed in topical meds, decided to use Garamycin cream inside the uretha where the infection was. Did this for 3 weeks and was cured of a horrible infection doctors could not do anything for. I continued to use Garamycin cream as a peventive before and after marital relations, it worked. I have not had an infection now for several years.

WARNING: DO NOT USE TOPICAL ANTIBIOTIC WITHOUT APPROVAL FROM A DOCTOR. SOME HAVE INGREDIENTS THAT CAN MAKE MATTERS WORSE AND CAUSE SWELLING AND BLOCKAGE.

You do not have to be sexually active to get infections of the uretha.

Please request your urologist or other doctor to check for gland infection in the uretha. These are tiny glands but can really be miserable.

I am not a medical professional, speaking from experience only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Longview HB User

I currently had your same problem. I had bad urges and frequency and i went to the doc. I suspected i had a UTI but wasnt so sure because there was no burning. I just had the urges and bad back pain. I was taking a over the counter med for a UTI in case that is what it was..and it didnt really help. It also turned my pee a orange color so the doc couldnt test my urine when i came in. He gave me 8 pills of Cipro. and it didnt really work. I still have the urge but they are not as bad. I think they might be going away on the own, but not sure. Has your temp been high? Mine has been around the 99s through out the day which scares me, because i always think i might be pg! but i dont know. Could Cipro throw off your period? I hope you figure this out and when you do please post !

Old 07-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
(female)

freind123 HB User

Thanks Misty800.

My urologist did tell me that the inflammation may be due to infection in the bladder glands and oral medication would take too long to clear it. What she said was that she would do dilation which would soothe the glands and get rid of the infection . The next time I visit her , I would suggest using the topical med.
Were you ever advised to have dilation done when you had the problem ?
What are the consequences of dialation of urethra ?
My urologist keeps insisteing that it would help but I am scared and need to find out before I have it done.

Can anyone help me out with this please.

Last edited by freind123; 07-05-2006 at 05:09 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
(female)

mgreenw HB User

Did the feeling of needing to go seem worse after you went?

I'm beginning to think I'm nuts. My urine cultures are clear, but I feel like my urethra is irritated. And I constantly feel like I need to go, but I can hold it just fine, so it's not exactly frequency. And I think the longer I wait between bathroom trips, the better it is. Please help! My urologist has me on Uroxatral (sp?) because maybe it's a bladder neck relaxation problem. Any suggestions?

Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Hi,

I've been on uroxatrel for several years for a bladder neck problem and it seems to work pretty well. Give it a while - it may take time to kick in. It doesn't seem to have any side effects.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
(female)

mgreenw HB User

When you had the problems with your bladder neck, did it get worse after you went to the bathroom? I don't really have any other symptoms, maybe a twinge of pain (feels like a normal menstrual cramp) every once in a while. And when I went in for the cystoscopy and urodynamics, my flow was a little weak.

Megan

Old 09-07-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Sometimes I'd go and within 5 minutes feel an urgent need to go again. But I could hold it in for hours if need be. I wasn't very comfortable.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #9
(female)

mgreenw HB User

How long before the uroxatral really kicks in? The past two nights I haven't needed to get up and pee, but tomorrow marks 3 weeks on it, and I haven't noticed any other change.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:17 AM   #10
(female)

pumakitty HB User

I am having the same symptoms!! Help! All of a sudden the frequency feeling kicked in one night. I feel like there is an irritation but all urine tests have returned clear. It is definitely worse directly after I use the bathroom and I can ignore it and wait a few hours before going again. Also, I don't wake at night. I have had no internal exam because the doctors think it is an anxiety issue and said it is all in my head.

Closed Thread