It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
(female)

freind123 HB User
Dilation of urethra - Does anyone have any info

I have had frequent urination problem since almost 3 months now. I was on cipro and macrobid for 2 weks initially but no effect. I went to seea urologist.
She gave me detrol LA (for overactive bladder )for 2 weeks and the symptims reduced by around 20 %.
In the next visit the doctor examined my urethra and said that she thinks the urethra was tightening and there was slight inflammation, She wanted to dilate then but I decide to wait. I was on peniciln for 2 weeeks again the symptoms reduced by 30 %. The intenisty of urge to urinate had reduced. After 2 weks I started having serious diaorrehea and other problems related to Penicilin so I stopped. My doctor again sugegsted that I need dialtion. Can sombody tell me what the procedure is .. what are the pros and cons. Would this procedure have any effect on any other part of body ? Is it painful... can it cause any harm ?
Please .. any information would help.. I am really desperate

Old 07-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

calababy HB User
Re: Dilation of urethra - Does anyone have any info

Hi there,
Well I have frequent urination for some unknown reason. The last uro. I went to did the dialtion a.k.a stretching process on me because he thought I had a narrowed uretha. He told me I could do it either while being awake or put to sleep. I didnt have much time or money so I did it while I was awake. I had taken 2 painkillers of me own (which they do not give you) prior, and I think it may have been the only thing that got me through this. During the process they numb the area with some cream and leave it inside for you a bit, and then they fill your bladder up to the full capacity with water. Im not quite sure if anything else was done ( i didnt look of course). It was very uncomfortable but not unbearable. The worst part of the whole thing was the aftermath. Going to the bathroom was sooo painfull. This lasted for about 3 days and it was torture.
The pro's would be that I felt better but only for about 2 weeks so it was def. not worth it. The con's are I hear it can cause scar tissue. And this has no effect on any other part of the body. The new doctor I am seeing now wants to do it again but she wants to have me put to sleep when I do it, to get better results. But I am just not prepared to do it all over again. It was not worth the pain at all. So I may just have to continue to suffer. It is also very risky to be put to sleep. Do you know how your doctor wants to do it?
Also, keep in mind that this has not been proven effective and a lot of doctors are actually against performing this. This is kind of an old procedure. Hope this all helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
(female)

tertree HB User

i had it done when i was in my early twenties im 42 now but it helped me so much i didnt have any UTI's for gosh probably 15 years after i had the procedure. i was put to sleep and yes it hurts like hell first timeyou use restroom but it worked as far as my not having any more infections i was getting them every three months or so before i had them.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

Are you talking about a Cystoscopy? b/c that is what i had done in the dr's office..he inserted a camers to look at the wall of my bladder,,(,he also filled it with water) it was inflamed & turns out i have Cystitis.

Yes it was worth having it done b/c at least NOW i know whats is wrong..I am taking Elmiron for it.
I had NO pian relief & he said the numbing gel was USELESS,,so none of that as well. it stung a bit, but the test was less than 5 minutes, & it stung the next few times i pee'd.but i was fine the next day.
Good luck to you~~~

Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I have had a urethra dilation due to it having shrunk because of constant inflammation.They use very small rods or dilators that they insert into your urethra and then insert a larger one and then larger again. This slowly stretches the urethra . I had numbing meds. It was uncomfortable during but not bad, What was worse was going pee after ,the first few times it stung and burned like the dickens! Did it help yes it did alot.

Closed Thread