It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

bjguthrie HB User
Question Cystoscopy? Has anyone had this done?

I am scheduled for a cystoscopy next Monday due to blood in the urine, frequent urination, abdominal pain, and painful intercourse. I am an woman, 53 years old. What was it like? Was it painful? Did you have a local anesthetic? Please let me know what to expect. I have read several articles about the procedure, but I would like to know about it from someone who has gone through it.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: Cystoscopy? Has anyone had this done?

Hi BJ,

I had a cystoscopy before my combination surgery of bladder sling and total hyster.

I think that it hurt really bad. My doctor would only give me 10 mg vailum. It still hurt and I would not do it again unless I was under.

Get some more ideas from others tho.

Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Lost_in_Time HB User

Hello, bj,

I had this procedure done about two months ago. I was scared to death to have it done. One of the worse parts was the 3 hour wait in the waiting room.

The nurse took me to a room where I took off my clothes from the waist down. I then lay on a bed with the stirrups. The nurse put something on the area to sanitize it. She the used something like a Qtip to put the anesthesia right on the place where I pee. She lay sterile clothes all over me so that I was covered all over while waiting. I lay there for a few minutes and she and the doctor returned.

The doctor came in and removed the cloth and told me I was going to feel a sting,which I did. To behonest it stung quite a bit, BUT he said that my urethra (spelling?) was narrow and he couldn't get the scope to go in. He said he was going to have to dilate it...which scared me...but then it went int.This all took about 15 seconds. It stung quite badly going in, but it may have been because mine was narrow. Yours may not sting that badly. I've read a lot of other people say that they only feel a pressure as it goes in.

I was expecting a long procedure. I had read where during this procedure they fill the bladder with water to see the entire bladder, but they didn't do that. The scope was in for a very short period of time. 30 seconds maybe. It was in and out. The nurse had told me that earlier, that the doctor's part only took about a minute. That was about a right. It was very fast. THey didn'tfind anything in mine,so I guess if something in there is found, tumors or such,then it might take longer but mine was just in and out.

As soon as it was out, the doctor left and the nurse immediately helped me up. I was still hurting quite a lot but went ahead and dressed . I then had a conference outside with the doctor. He had found that my uterus was pressing on my bladder causing all my symptoms--frequent urination, pelvic pain, etc.

The first time I peed afterwards, it hurt like heck. I let out a scream. I was also glad that I had been wearing a pad becuase I bled quite a lot on the way home. So, you might consider that. Of course, likeI said, mine was narrow so there was probably more on mine. It hurt to pee for a day or so and bled about a day or so. I also passed some big blood clots with the urine that night.

It was all uncomfortable but it is bearable. The other people I talked to all said they just felt pressure and not the sting that I had, so you will probably feel the same.

Hope this helps. Don't worry.Its not a big deal. You can do it. I hope you get good results and it all goes well. LEt us know

Lost

Old 09-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
(female)

elphers HB User

Lost,
I have to have cystometrics for a dropped bladder. I think that is when I'm filled with water or ?
I just have a question-- because I am having a lot of pelvic pain,(and frequent urination), I was wondering what the Dr. said that they are going to do for you, since your bladder is pressing on your uterus?
Thanks and take care!
elphers

Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Lost_in_Time HB User

When I had the test done, I had been feeling good for about two weeks. I had to wait over a month to have the test done.

The doctor said the only thing to do for the uterus pressing on the bladder, but if it wasn't a problem now,he didn't recommend the hysterectomy. Only if it was or became a problem of pain or urination did I have to go that route.

Like I said, at that time, I had been feeling betterfor about 3 weeks. I thought the pain was just from the bladder infection.

However, i"m having a A LOT of pain now. I guess it might be getting worse. So, I guess hysterectomy is in my future if I want to feel better, but I sure don't want to do it.

Good luck

R

Old 09-12-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Lost_in_Time HB User

I didn't have any Valium or anything before the cysto.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
(male)

scrubaholics HB User

24 y/o male here.

I had one done and couldn't hardly eat or sleep a week prior to this.

It was nothing.

I mean it sounds horrible, but it wasn't bad at all.

You will live, and feel better for checking things out.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
(female)

Sehsun HB User

I've had a couple cystoscopies done, about 5-6 years ago. They were done through general anesthesia, so I was out for the entire procedure. I remember it being very painful the first time I urinated after the procedure, and I had blood clots due to the stent that was put in. Overall the recovery time was quick and the post-operative pain wasn't too severe.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Interesting. I have had two . . . by two different doctors. For me, the most "uncomfortable" part was having cold water splashed on my genitals before inserting the scope (and it really was no big deal at all). Otherwise, there was nothing to the exam itself. The only part that hurt was peeing for the first time after the exam . . . it stung a LOT!

Old 09-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Lost_in_Time HB User

I didn't have anything splashed on me. The nurse did wipe some kind of alchohol smelling stuff on me, but I didn't hardly feel it. It did hurt going in and, you are right,that first pee is a DOOZY!!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 AM   #11
(female)

Newey HB User

Now listen here! Don't be shaken by horror stories...and we all read them on the www. I had this done this morning and it's a doddle. No pain at all. Thats it.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Lost_in_Time HB User

I don't think anyone here is telling horror stories. I have tried to be realistic and explain what it was truly like for me. I think it's better to be prepared and to know what might be expected, rather than to go into it blind not knowing. Before mine, everything I read on the internet said what you said, no problem, no big deal, no pain at all, just some pressure. That's what I expected. That was NOT what happened. I had great pain. I, also, explained when relating my story that I had a small opening so that could have been what caused the pain. I tried to be realistic and share my experience. True...don't let our experience scare someone away from having the test done, but its a good idea to be realistic.

Closed Thread