It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
(male)

me in id HB User
Dialating Urethra question

Hello,
I am more then likely facing a surgery to open up the tip of my Urethra. It is slowly closing and my Urologist says after the surgery I am going to have to dialate my Urethra. Does anybody know what this is all about? Does anybody have any experience in this? I have read about a drug called Daytrol, does it do the same thing? Any help on this subject is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
me in id

Old 10-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hairier yet.. HB User
Re: Dialating Urethra question

I've heard of a thing called urethral stricture, where there's a blockage or closing of the urethra. I don't know what causes it but have heard of men who had to have their urethra probed, stretched or dilated. It may be a fairly common thing, I'm not sure.

You mentioned surgery, do you mind me asking what your doctor's going to do to your urethra surgically? Will something have to be removed? Just curious.

Wish I could offer you more. Let us know how everything turns out.

Best of luck my friend.

-hairier

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Dialating Urethra question

You can look up urethral dilation on the web yourself. It really isn't a surgery that involves cutting, it actually stretches the urethra using progressively larger tubes. It can be done under local anesthesia and has a very good success rate.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
(male)

me in id HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairier yet..
I've heard of a thing called urethral stricture, where there's a blockage or closing of the urethra. I don't know what causes it but have heard of men who had to have their urethra probed, stretched or dilated. It may be a fairly common thing, I'm not sure.

You mentioned surgery, do you mind me asking what your doctor's going to do to your urethra surgically? Will something have to be removed? Just curious.

Wish I could offer you more. Let us know how everything turns out.

Best of luck my friend.

-hairier
Hello and thank you for your reply,
Yes it is an Urethrel Stricture. The doctor is basically going to cut the tip of my urethra open to make its size bigger due to the fact that it is slowly closing. No nothing has to be removed, just a couple slices and I think thats it. He is going to put me completey under. But one thing that scares me about this dr. is that, I asked him about the dialating of the urethra and he gave me IVAC probe covers and thats what im suppose to use to do the dialating. Is it just me or is that fishy? Im suppose to stick it in my peehole like 2 1/2 inches. I mean is that a low budget deal or is that what people use? Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
(male)

me in id HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari526
You can look up urethral dilation on the web yourself. It really isn't a surgery that involves cutting, it actually stretches the urethra using progressively larger tubes. It can be done under local anesthesia and has a very good success rate.

He says im suppose to do it like 2 times a day for a week after the surgery, then once a day then gradually take it down to once a day. And this is all on my own in my home, with NO local anesthesia. Does that sound right. I have loked it up on the net, I promise, I found one guy who has been doing it for 15 years and the rest are all for the female anatomy. So resources are limited. Any help/advice you got what be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Dialating Urethra question

Okay, I just looked up -self urethral dilation and saw several articles regarding men who perform this procedure at home but, only after recieving instruction on the proper technique from their urologist. It stated that because there is a high incidence of reoccurence of the stricture it is recommended that the patient self dilate several times a day for a few weeks.
The article stated that the urologist measures exactly where the stricture is determining how far the dilation tube needs to be inserted. It was recommended that the patient purchase stainless steel chopsticks that would be placed in boiling water for thirty minutes, then cooled and then cleaned with betadine. The patient is to wash hands prior and hold one end of the chopsticks with a clean towel then guide the chopstick in after lubricating with a water soluble gel ( like K-Y).
I don't mean to be too graphic, only passing on the information because you asked. You can look it up yourself.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

hairier yet.. HB User

I'd say that sounds normal. He'll do the surgery to open you up, then of course you'll have to do the insertions in between urinations. I really don't think it's low budget surgery or anything. Your doctor probably just wants to save you the trouble and expense of coming back to his office becuase the insertions will be so simple. The pee hole insertion isn't a big deal at all really. I don't know if you've ever done urethral insertions before but it's not painful. You'll need a little lube though, like K-Y.

-hairier

Last edited by hairier yet..; 10-15-2006 at 08:31 PM.

Closed Thread