It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

tanabear6 HB User
a natural way to cure a UTI???

Is there anything I can take other than antibiotics? I know of cranberry juice and alot of water...but is there anything else I can do to get rid of one naturally?

Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

aliasnewname HB User
Re: a natural way to cure a UTI???

Many years ago I had a UTI that lasted 6 months and no antibiotics helped, at all. This worked for me: First I cut out coffee (did I say you may not LIKE my answer? ) and lots of cranberry juice, the unsweetened stuff, concentrate from a health food store, and I also used fresh-squeezed lemon juice plus B vitamins. And plenty of vitamin C. It worked, but the headache from no coffee for a week made me grumpier than usual .
It took a week, whereas the antibiotics did me no good at all. If you try it, I hope it works. Whatever you try, I hope it works very soon, and I hope you never go through this again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
(male)

rpg HB User

I have heard that a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in an 8 oz. glass of water will give temporary relief. This will raise (temporarily) your urine pH to reduce the irritation of acidic urine. Of course, this is only a quick solution and I don't know how natural it really is, but I've never heard of anyone ODing on baking soda!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:56 AM   #4
(female)

Megn80 HB User

I've never heard of a natural cure. You need to get antibiotics to kill it. Cranberry juice doesn't get rid of a infection, it only prevents one.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
(female)

LizinBoston HB User

In Germany the herb uva ursi (also known as bearberry) is the main ingredient of the main government approved drug sold over the counter to treat EARLY STAGE Uti, not full blown. Here in the US, uva ursi products (tea bags, tinctures, tablets mixed with other herbs) are sold in health food stores (as diuretics and bladder healers) and on=line. BUT If you have an irritated bladder or interstitial cystisis, uva ursi will irritate it more so DO NOT consider using it. Exact treatments are difficult to come by here, so i can't advise specifically. You should NOT take it if pregnant or lactating. I learned about it from a friend in Germany but the only info I have found out about it from a medical source in the this country is from a textbook called WOMEN"S HEALTH IN COMPLEMENTARY AND INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE by Tieraona Low Dog, MD, and Marc Micozzi, MD. It's a $55 textbook. (Dr. Low Dog works at U. Arizona Medical School with Andrew Weil, MD, so perhaps you could write to her there.)
Some on-line herb stores (include Native Remedies, which I CANNOT vouch for but where I have bought products) sell UTI tincture w/ instructions about how many drops to put in water for a UTI. Many other places sell uva ursi tea--very strong, and very potent. (don't think: if some is good, more is better--be cautious) Again, I cannot vouch for these products, but there are many such on=line stores, selling uva ursi teas and so forth, and I suppose you could read -up on them. I think you are wise to explore this route but do it cautiously and NOT if you have irritation. Some people drink uva ursi tea prophylactically. Dr. low Dog's book (chapter 18 on UTI's mentions this in passing.) I used to drink a 'weighless" tea as a diuretic that was made with uva ursi, sold in grocery stores. It definitely makes you pee; but doses in that tea are small compared to the stuff on-line. AND most of the stuff on-line has other herbs in it, some of which have antibacterial properties.
I suppose you could Google: "natural antibiotics" and see what you come up with. I'm sure you'll read about different herbs and plants.
ALSO: to minimize new infections, try a no sugar, no alcohol (including no fruit for a while as it has lots of sugar) and low yeast and low carb diet, as sugar and yeast provide hospitable cultures for bacteria. Get your good health back and stay infection free for a while -- and/or really cut back on what you used to do. Sugar is a killer for hosting bacteria.
ALSO, if you have been taking lots of antibiotics, you should be taking a probiotic every day (upon awakening and before bed) to restore essential flora in your stomach and intestines. Go to a good health food store and to the refrigerator section and ask for the best probiotic they sell and take it every day, whether you're taking antibiotics or not. This will help bring you back to good health and your body will not be such a good host for infections.
ALSO: never sit in a hot tub (esp. after many infections) or linger in a swimming pool, until you have a long stretch of having this licked.
If you have an irritated bladder and no infection, I would strongly recommend acupuncture, at least 2X a week for at least a month. It coulD REALLY REALLY help the irritation and pressure. If irritation and no infection, go to amazon and read about books on cystitis -- One called You Don't HAve to Live with Cystitis.
good luck.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ar58 HB User

tanabear6,

There are many herbal remedies in homeopathic preparation that can help get rid of UTIs naturally. But these are very specifc to the type of UTI and one will need to know all the symptoms to suggest some thing. I could suggest if you let me know the details

Old 11-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
(female)

tanabear6 HB User

i have the constant need to urinate and when i do, towards the end i get a burning sensation, almost like I can't go anymore...those are my only symptoms, but i've had uti's before, and i know thats just the early stages.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
(female)

kewlgirl HB User

When you have a UTI, you have to change the pH level of your body to remove the bacteria. Take 1000mg of Vitamin C a day and drink pure cranberry juice or cranberry supplement pills.

Bacteria cannot grow or spread in an acidic (acid) environment and will eventually die in your body as long as you keep your body acidic. Cranberry juice and vitamin C are both acidic and promote acidic environments.

Word of warning, only take high doses of Vitamin C for 1-2 weeks. Prolonged acid environments in your body weaken the immune system and promote disease. Example: Cancer thrives in acidic bodies. Now I'm not saying that just because your body is acidic that you will get cancer. But overall your body is "healthier" if it is akaline.

I haven't had a UTI since I take this remedy. Antibiotics work temporarily but will not stay away unless I take high doses of Vitamin C and cranberry pills for at least a week.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
(male)

dreamer54 HB Userdreamer54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlgirl
When you have a UTI, you have to change the pH level of your body to remove the bacteria. Take 1000mg of Vitamin C a day and drink pure cranberry juice or cranberry supplement pills.

Bacteria cannot grow or spread in an acidic (acid) environment and will eventually die in your body as long as you keep your body acidic. Cranberry juice and vitamin C are both acidic and promote acidic environments.

Word of warning, only take high doses of Vitamin C for 1-2 weeks. Prolonged acid environments in your body weaken the immune system and promote disease. Example: Cancer thrives in acidic bodies. Now I'm not saying that just because your body is acidic that you will get cancer. But overall your body is "healthier" if it is akaline.

I haven't had a UTI since I take this remedy. Antibiotics work temporarily but will not stay away unless I take high doses of Vitamin C and cranberry pills for at least a week.
Vitamin C and Cranberry Pills work for me also. I`ve actually cured a UTI by starting high doses of Vit. C & Cranberry. Kewlgirl.......do you take Vit. C on a regular basis or only when you get the symptoms of a UTI ? Also, where did you hear that " Prolonged acid environments in your body weaken the immune system and promote disease" ?? I`m curious about this.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:07 AM   #10
(female)

kewlgirl HB User

Here is an excerpt of what I've read......

Alkaline = 7.0 and above. Acidic = below 7.0

When healthy, the pH of blood is 7.4, the pH of spinal fluid is 7.4, and the pH of saliva is 7.4.

Most children are dark blue, a pH of 7.5. Over half of adults are green-yellow, a pH of 6.5 or lower, reflecting the nutrient deficiency of aging and lifestyle defects.

Cancer patients are usually very acidic and a bright yellow, a pH of 4.5, especially when terminal.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-05-2006 at 07:09 AM. Reason: do not post any kind of information to find a website - no keywords or search instructions

Old 12-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
(female)

kewlgirl HB User

I usually only take high doses of Vitamin C and cranberry supplement pills when I feel the burn/itch starting to come on. I start taking it for at least a week straight. The symptoms usually disappear within 48 hours and then I am fine. I keep taking it for a full 7 days, even after the symptoms are gone just to be sure. Just because there are no symptoms doesn't mean the infection is gone.

I asked my OB/GYN about this, and she did admit that yes it does work, but also said it is a good idea to get checked by a doctor anyway. I think she was trying to justify the need for antibiotics as part of her job and encouraging people to see their doctor regardless which isn't always a bad idea in case it is something beyond a UTI.

Closed Thread