It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Any Men Out There That Had A Cystoscopy?

Looking to get any feed back on men who went through a cystoscopy and comments on the procedure. My hubby needs one due to blood in urine and won't do it because he is afraid of feeling pain. I myself have had many, but women are built different, let me know, thanks...........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User
Re: Any Men Out There That Had A Cystoscopy?

Dead easy ten minute procedure which has hardly any pain. Nips a bit when you pee for the next day or so but that's it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Thanks Sleeper.

I was starting to wonder if any men were gonna respond. I will let him know.
Take care.........

Old 12-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
(male)

ruffy48 HB User
Re: Thanks Sleeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepherd
I was starting to wonder if any men were gonna respond. I will let him know.
Take care.........

Old 12-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
(male)

ruffy48 HB User

I don't know if your husband had the procedure yet but I just had mine yesterday. I hate to tell you this but it was more than "uncomfortable". I understand it is a neccessary thing for proper diagnosos but it is somewhat painful. I only hope that the pain when urinating will subside sometime soon for me !

Old 12-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
(female)

germanshepherd HB User

Hi ruffy, thanks for responding. My hubby didn't have his yet, he said if he does it he wants to be knocked out. I think he is dreaming about that. Did the urologist give you "peridium" afterwards? That makes you pee orange and numbs the urethra till you heal. I being a women, and obvioulsy built different, had about 12 cysto's in my life and will have more due to "pimpling" in bladder, red spots and white ones due to hundreds of uti's I had in past. Kind of like a scarring. They want to keep eye on it due to the slight risk of cancer. So is it safe to say here that if men had babies, the world would be less populated due to the fact women can handle pain more then men? Don't take offense, trying to be funny. Glad you had your procedure done and hope everything is okay. I tell my hubby this all the time. He said I am right about that. I have had a hysterectomy with bladder lift, bladder biopsy, talk about pain, 3 breast surgeries, 4 procedures to drain breast, awake by the way, birthed 2 babies with no meds, cortisone shot in shoulder and lower back, in chronic back pain constantly and have fibromyalgia. And this I say cause hubby won't have a simple cysto to rule out problems. Go figure! Thanks again for comment, Tammy

Old 12-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
(male)

ruffy48 HB User

Tammy
Wow....you sure have gone through alot! Listen, I will be the first to admit that I am the biggest baby when it comes to pain. And, I have nothing but the utmost respect for women and what they go through. Trust me, if I were a woman, my kids would all be adopted! According to my Urologist, if something would have been seen on my sonogram (which he sent me for first), he would have done the procedure in the hospital under a general anesthetic. But, since it was clear, he doesn't like to take such drastic measures. I told him that I would not have minded !
I was not given peridium but a pill called prosed. I think it does the same thing (although I question the numbing part) but instead of turning the urine orange, it was a really cool blue color..........I had fun in the snow !!
Tell the hubby it is painful and a bit embarrasing (unless he's a voyeur......just kidding) but I am relieved that everything came out okay (no pun intended).
By the way, they will be able to tell you that right there before you leave instead of waiting for days for the results.
Tell him good luck.
Tom

Old 12-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
(female)

germanshepherd HB User

Tom, you are a funny guy! Needed a good laugh today, thanks. Blue snow, hehehe, my hubby had a little blood in urine and he had a ct scan cytology tests and all came up negative, the cysto would be finishing the testing and hubby said "no' I hope he is okay as I do know a lot of people have the blood in urine thing and it turns out to be okay. So I guess he is just gonna hope everything is okay, Thanks for writing back, Tammy

Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Blue snow, indeed!

I had blood in my urine and went for cystoscopy. The urologist found a 2 cm growth on the bladder wall, and scheduled me for a trans-urethral resection. The verdict was non-invasive bladder cancer. Blood in the urine is something no man should ignore because it too often is a sign of cancer.

My urologist first deadens the urethra with something like lidocaine. There is some discomfort when he is inserting the scope, and a feeling like an electric shock when the scope passes through the prostate. Other than that, it's not as uncomfortable as a prostate examination.

And it hurts a little to pee for a few hours.

Tell hubby that blood in urine too often is a sign of cancer, and he should have this test done without delay.

Bill

Old 01-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #10
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Thanks Fizz

For the heads up on blood in urine. I just e-mailed your post to my hubby. Hopefully he will get this checked out. I hope everything turmed out alright with you, pleaase let me know, prayers, Tammy

Last edited by germanshepherd; 01-01-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
(male)

dreamer54 HB Userdreamer54 HB User
Re: Thanks Fizz

I think it depends on the doctor doing the Cysto. I`ve had a few done in the past and barely felt a thing, especially once they used a numbing agent in my urethra. Tell your husband it ain`t all that bad. I`ve had worst pain taking a splinter out of my hand.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User

Hello,
They found microscopic blood in my urine, while having a routine check up (I have hashimoto's + epilepsy). I elected to stay awake for the procedure, mainly because I didn't want to stay in hospital the whole day, which you have to if being knocked out! The procedure is very uncomfortable but it doesn't take long, I was very nervous, and told myself I wouldn't look at the monitor while they were in there, but I did. Like someone said, it's the stinging while urinating that's not very nice. They gave me some anti-biotics for the next day. When the results came back I was told there was nothing to be seen, and that there are places where blood and urine pass where only a membrane separates them and even blood pressure can affect it, and so they would just shrug their shoulders. So the blood is still there, but most importantly...I'm still here!
take care

Old 01-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
(male)

n5xmt HB User

I had a quack of a urologist back in 2000. After a round of antibiotics in my urine didn't clear up the little blood they saw, he flat out told me I had bladder cancer and needed the cystoscopy. (no tests done that would even give a hint of cancer). I was scheduled and went in the day before to meet with the anasthesiologist. They gave me the option of local or general. I chose general anasthesia. Went in at 10am, they did the cystoscopy and saw scar tissue in the urethra due to previous UTI's. Basically they did a "roto rooter" and reamed out the urethra to remove the scar tissue. By 1pm I was on my way home. Dr. warned me I would have some discomfort and blood for a day or so. First time I urinated, it was a bit painful (And I ama Wuss when it comes to pain!!), but not so bad... just be sure to avoid citrus fruit and juices for the first couple days and all will be well.

Last edited by n5xmt; 01-06-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
(male)

LeonM HB User

I have had 2 cystoscopy procedures. In the overall scope of unconfortable things I have expereinced in life this doesn't even make the chart. Tell your husband to suck it up, take deep breaths and think of good things. The discomfort last for under 20 seconds and is truly no more than discomfort. The real problem here is that it just really goes agains anything a guy has ever been told. "Your going to shove that thing where?" He needs to get it taken care of ASAP. Damage to your bladder can lead to much worse things than a one time cystoscopy. I self catheterize 5 times a day due to bladder muscle failure.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
(female)

germanshepherd HB User
Thank You All For Your Comments....

I am so glad for all the responses I have gotten on this subject. And yes at somepoint in our lives we all have to do things we don't like. I have sent one of the posts here to my hubby e-mail, but he never commented on it. He will
not go for this test and it's stupid. But I thanks you all for the input, you are all very brave men and did what needed to be done, and nee to be commended for that. When he does scedual his next physical, which he does every year, then the urine test will let us know if there is still a problem and hope it dosen't turn into something serious. But in the meantime, my hats off to you all! Take care, Tammy

Closed Thread