It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

SweetPuff HB User
Antibiotic Not Working-UTI

Tuesday evening I begin taking Bactrum for my second possible UTI. The first time the doc gave me Nitrofuratane and it worked immediately. In the meantime the test came back Neg. This time she tried the Bactrum (sp) and tomorrow is my last dose....tonight I'm burning as much as I was Tuesday. I haven't had sex or fooled around since last Friday so shouldn't the antibiotic be helping? I just took an AZO standard to try and get some relief! Should I call and ask for the NitroF. again and is it normal for one med to work and one not to?

Old 12-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Deeraysmom HB User
Re: Antibiotic Not Working-UTI

Before you suffer any longer .... Call your Doc and tell him this antibiotic is not working, no one should have to put up with pain.... best of luck..... Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
(male)

kylesal HB User

I have had many UTI's, and I have used many types of antibiotics. Levaquin, Cipro, and Avalox all worked really well. But Bactrum did not do a thing for me. Bactrum does not seem like it works well for UTI's. Call your doctor immediatley, and have him/her put you back on your old medication.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #4
(female)

kewlgirl HB User

I suffer from frequen UTI's that always come back after the meds don't work or wear off.

I take high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg) a day, and the infection clears up on it's own after a few days. It helps with the pain a lot. The bacteria die in an acidic environment, Vitamin C makes your bladder acidic and the bacteria eventually die off.

I also take cranberry supplement pills (3-4 a day) which help keep your bladder healthy.

This has saved me many trips to the doctor when I start to feel the burn come on. One should never substitute this as a cure verses a normal doctor visit, just to be sure it's not something bigger than a UTI.

My OB/GYN suggested taking Vitamin C pills (1000mg a day for 7 days) to help fight a UTI and I was amazed at the results!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
(female)

heziggy HB User

I get UTI's fairly often. The doc does the test in the office and it comes back neg. Goes to lab and comes back pos. When He gives me meds for it, Cipro seems to work very quickly and your done in 5 days, it's great!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
(female)

Red MP HB User

Hi everyone, sorry to hear about the UTI not clearing up. I know all about it. Gets worse as you get older. When I first started getting them, 1 dose of antibiotics would kill it. But your system begins up resistance over time, so beware taking antibiotics unless you are absolutely sure you have a bacterial infection. It could be something completely different, such as Interstitial Cystitis or an inflamed bladder / sensitive bladder.

I have two strong suggestions to make - the first is to read this book - it contains a wealth of information on UTI's, written by an American urologist for patients, so its easy to read. You will learn A LOT, esp how to avoid them again in future.

You Don't Have to Live with Cystitis by L. Gillespie

My second suggestion is to try alternative therapy such as homeopathy, esp when no bacteria is found. It can really help with the UTI sysptoms when there is no apparent infection there.

Peace

Closed Thread