It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

SpiralingDown HB User
Cystoscopy: My experience...

I am a 30 yo female referred to a Urologist after two U/A's at my gynecologist revealed microscopic hematuria (microscopic amounts of blood in my urine) with a negative bacterial culture. I do not have a history of kindney problems, no history of UTI's or stones, and I have never smoked.

I met with the Urologist this morning and he basically said that with my clean medical history we have a dilemma. He said he receives a lot of referrals from GYN's with the same issues and he follows the same protocol: cystoscopy and CT scan with contrast. Many times nothing at all turns up at all.

During the initial cosultation with him today, he asked me if I had a few minutes and that we could do the cysto right then and there if I had the time. OF COURSE I had the time! Definitely wanted to get that part over with.

The doc used a flexible cystoscope which is actually a bit scary looking b/c it is so loooong. Anyway, he prepped the urethral opening with a bit of betadine to kill off any bacteria and then inserted the scope-- no sedation, no numbing solution. Honestly folks, it was nothing at all. I felt two pinches... one on initial insertion and then one a bit futher up. Once the scope was in the bladder it was like instant relief. I could have stayed that way for quite a while. I felt a bit of pressure during that time, but it was very insignificant. Thankfully, the cystoscopy revealed nothing in my bladder and it was really neat to be able to watch the procudure on the screen. When my Urologist removed the scope, I felt nothing at all. I was also given a 500mg Amoxil tab to take after I ate to help ward off any infection.

They warned me that it might burn a bit during urination for a day or so. I already knew that from these boards so I was prepared. I took my first urination (which I actually did before I left the doc's office) slowly... and WOW-WEE! That hurt more than the entire procedure! Felt like a hot poker was being stuck in there! My second urination at home was about 70% better and my third and fourth urinations have felt completly normal.

So, next step for me is the CT scan with contrast; however, I wanted to share my cysto story with those who might be interested as I know that many of us who land on this board will have to go through it at one time or another.

Best to all...

Last edited by SpiralingDown; 01-02-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

agravy HB User
Re: Cystoscopy: My experience...

Wow, that's amazing that you had it done right there in the office. I had to be admitted into the hospital & everything. They didn't put me completly to sleep, just put me in what they called twilight sleep. Wonder why they didn't jsut do that with me? I will say that when they did the test for a neurogenic bladder, it was kind of like what you described though; really no pain, just a little initial pinch. So, to those who are reading, don't be scared.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
(female)

SpiralingDown HB User

Just wanted to share my follow-up:

Had a CT scan with IV contrast on Monday. It was my first CT scan in general and I was a bit nervous about reacting to the iodine. It was a very weird, warm feeling when it went in... but the feeling passed within 30 seconds or so. The CT people were extremely nice to me and made me feel very comfortable throughout the procedure.

Received a call from my Urologist yesterday... with a clean bill of health. He said my entire urinary tract looks great and to only follow up with him if I experience pain, etc... Looks like the cause of my microhematuria is idiopathic. Of course, I'll still be having routine U/A's at my GYN each year.

Best wishes to everyone else here.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

oh thank God that everything came out with a clean bill of health there hon. im suppose to see my urologist (first time ) on the 22nd of this month and my kidney doc, who is sending me over there, said he wanted him to give me a cystoscopy, as well as a few other tests. i recall that i had one done maybe 15 yrs ago and oh that was pure hell. HURT sooo very much during the entire process. again like you said, no numbing, no sedation, so when my kidney doc told me today about wanting the urologist to run that test, i felt cold shivers up and down my spine. from pure fear. its 30 degrees cold here in town today but i swear when he mentioned that word, i could have sworn i started sweating. im praying that it will go smoothly like your test.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
(female)

SpiralingDown HB User

Good luck with your testing, Jenetti. I hope that everything goes smoothly for you.

I received a call from my OBGYN today (who also received copies of my cysto and CT scan reports) and they asked me if I had completed the follow-up ultrasound. Um, what? I told them that my Urologist called me last week and said that there was no follow-up needed. The GYN's office then said that yes, the report showed no abnormality, but that a follow-up US was recommended.

I'm stumped. How can a US be more efficient than a CT scan with IV constrast?

Strange deal. So anyway, I have to have a US now.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

SpiralingDown HB User

Hmph... just got off the phone with my Urologist who informed me that when my OBGYN office called that they never told me the full story. While my CT scan showed no urologic abnormalities, it did show an ovarian cyst.

So, it looks like that's what I need the US for. Looks like I'll be spending a little time over on another board here now.

Best to all...

Old 12-16-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

Hi Jen, not sure if you remember me but I used to write you on here a lot about kidney stones I believe. How have you been? I am doing ok, Still getting small stones but other than that fine and I found out I have diabetics. Is your Fibro still bothering you?
God bless you , Polly

Closed Thread