It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

noel07 HB User
foul/sulphur smelling urine 4 years

I am a 30yr old female and have had VERY strong smelling urine for about 4 yrs. After I use the restroom my fiancee or family members tell me how offensive the smell is. It is soooo not normal!! It is very strong and smells of sulphur most of the days (as if I have a UTI) but I've been told it smells like popcorn on others. I am very self conscious now and don't want to use the restroom when I'm out unless I pound a liter of water 1st so I know all I'm peeing out is the water. The smell occurs almost every day but I can go a few days without the smell. It happens in the morning so I drink a liter of water and things are fine 4 a couple of hours....then the very strong smell is back!! Sometimes it doesn't occur until later in the day even after I've had plenty of water. Sometimes the urine feels very warm when it comes out and sometimes it stings a little. A friend of mine told me that she sometimes has the feeling of an oncoming UTI and then it leaves so this seems normal except for the offensive smell. Sometimes it's cloudy and sometimes it seems there is a thin oily layer on the surface. I drink water throughout the day. I've attempted to keep a food diary thinking it's something to do with my diet but haven't found any correlation. I've gone off my birth control pills to see if it's a hormonal thing, no correlation. I have had numerous bladder infections in the past but haven't had one for about 2yrs. About 3yrs ago when I had medical insurance I had a complete urinalysis panel performed and everything came back normal. I drink 2+liters of water a day. I don't eat asparagus. I don't have chlamydia or gonorrhea. I've tried cranberry and pineapple pills/juice. I don't take vitamins regularily or any medications. I don't have back pain or abdominal pain. It's definitely my urine that smells and not a personel-hygeine issue. I don't drink coffee or excessive alcohol. I stopped drinking alcohol all together for about 6months to rule this out. I'm really tired of this!! Has anyone experienced anything similar?? Any suggestions?? PLEASE HELP!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: noel07
dina leanne (03-25-2011), pamacan (03-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
(female)

jujutsu1 HB User
Re: foul/sulphur smelling urine 4 years

I can't diagnose of course, but from what I can gather, sounds like you might have a UTI. When I had a UTI last year, my urine smelled foul, sulfur-like. I also had stinging upon urination.
Some UTIs can be chronic because sometimes, not all of the bacteria is eliminated during treatment because some of it can hide out in the bladder, among other places (also, if the full course of the prescribed antibiotics was not finished, you could have developed resistance to the treatment and some of the bacteria might have survived)
Also, if you had previous UTIs, generally you are at a higher risk of getting another UTI sometime in the future.
In addition, it's easy for women to get UTIs because 1) during sexual intercourse the friction of the penis against woman's genitalia can transer bacteria that's part of normal vaginal flora into the urethra, where it can cause UTI 2) if you wipe back to front after going to the bathroom, you can introduce bacteria from rectal area and vaginal area to the urethra too 3) vaginal secretions, esecially if you have a yeast infection or the like, if they reach the urethra (say during wiping or if there's a fair amount of secretions on the panties) can also cause UTI.
I would recommend going in for a simple urine test (it doesn't have to be a complete urianalysis) to check if there's bacteria in your urine. It shouldn't take long (mine took less than 15 minutes). If you don't have health insurance try and see if there's a free public clinic in your area that can do this test. Also if you are a student, the student health center should offer this service too. Hospitals sometimes have financial assistance plans available (I would try a Catholic hospital first. They seem to be more sympathetic than state/university hospitals in these situations).
There are many different antibiotics that can be prescribed for UTIs. If the doctor writes you a script for some expensive brand medication, you can ask to substitute with generic. The usual therapy course is only 3 days.

It worries me that you had this problem for so long. If it is indeed a UTI, the infection can not only spread to your bladder but also to your kidneys where it can cause pyelonephritis.
Let me know what have you decided.
Hopefully this was helpful.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
(female)

Blondybex HB User

Hey noel. Not gonna lie its actually comforting to find someone with the same problem as me. I have all the same symptoms...to a tee! Its so embaressing!! I have noticed the symptoms increase during times where I have been more sexually active. I have seen many doctors. One suggested it may be something called honeymooncititis. Thats its nick name, its real name is very long and hard to pronounce. I am on a medication for it called Nitrofurtoin, however its not very strong. I have to take it religously and have to drink a lot of water for it to work. I have seen many doctors, some tried to tell me its just my hygeine and that I am not wiping correctlying!!! Trust me, that is NOT the problem. I am seeing by your post, you've gotten that too. Find a great gyno who knows what there doing. The information I have gathered over the past couple years is that the smell may stem from a certain type of UTI where ecoli (yes the smelly stuff found in feces) gets into the urinary tract causing the urine to smell. Its mainly hereditary and usually stems from sexual activity. Unfortunately, I have gotten no sure diagnosis so I am still fighting the smell. About 2 years ago I experianced my first kidney infection and I still have lower back pain (on the side) at times. I have also heard that it may be pyelonephritis which is another disorder involving the kidney and UTI's. Hope I could help.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
(female)

kay1988 HB User

I have the same problem. My urine smells so bad that I have to wash off after I use the rest room. My urine is very cloudy also. It smells the worst in the morning. I don't use public restrooms at all because of this. I've been to the doctor and they keep telling me that I just have a U.T.I. but after I'm finished taking the pills they give me, the smell just keeps coming back. I don't personally know anyone with the same problem so I don't have anyone to talk to about this. I need help finding out what this problem is because none of the doctors around where I live seem to know what is wrong.

Closed Thread