It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

rachel84 HB User
UTI with fever, what should I do?

I have a UTI with a fever between 100 and 101 degrees, with the average of 100.2

I went to the doctor on Thursday because I had flank pain and tenderness in one kidney, ammonia smelling urine, bladder discomfort, and I had the chills. The kidney still hurts when I touch it.

I was prescribed Bactrim, 800 mgs for 3 days, and I have had it before with NO problems, so I *highly* doubt I'm allergic.

Wednesday night is when I started getting a fever, and I have had one since. The back pain has subsided only a little bit but I can still feel it's still there at times.

I did the urinalysis but they send it out so I have an appointment to go back in 2 weeks, but I'm really miserable.

One second I will feel so cold that I can feel every bone in body ache, and I will be shaking, and then after I take motrin and 2 hours later, I'll be sweating up a storm.

The motrin doesn't seem to help since it keeps coming back. I take cranberry pills (4 times a day), and my Bactrim is almost done, I only have one pill left.

The major concern to me right now is a kidney infection.
I was born with VUR and had it corrected when I was 12. (I'm 22 now)

The doctor asked me if I had a fever and I told her no because it was low grade so I didn't think it would matter.

Is it possible a kidney infection?

Last edited by rachel84; 02-17-2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: wanted to add more info

Old 02-18-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
(female)

rachel84 HB User
Re: UTI with fever, what should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsruby View Post
The doc didn't take your temperature when you were there?
yeah, but at that point I was okay, my temp was 98.3, but I'm off the Bactrim (I finished my dose),and I still feel like garbage.

My fever started the day I started Bactrim, and now I just don't feel like eating or drinking and I haven't been. And sometimes when I drink something I just feel like throwing up.

I probably should go to the hospital, but my mom is convinced I have the flu and not an infection, so I'm going back to the doctor in a few hoursl

The urinalysis was already done...I have an appointment in 2 weeks to get the results but I absolutely cannot wait. I am SOOOOOOO miserable!

Last edited by rachel84; 02-18-2007 at 05:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
(female)

rachel84 HB User
Re: UTI with fever, what should I do?

it doesn't actually take two weeks, but at the clinic, they schedule you for a 2 week follow up...

at least I'm going back to the clinic today...if they dont have the results yet think I think I should just go to the hospital. I took the test on Thursday, so we'll see.

It sucks my mom isn't listening to me, considering I was born with VUR & had surgery, and she's a nurse, so you would think she would be able to put 2 and 2 together.

I'm not eating or drinking, I feel way toooooooo tired and feel sick when I try.

Last edited by rachel84; 02-18-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Closed Thread