It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User
What to expect from kidney stone removal

Hey all, I am new to this board and I wanted some insight as to what to expect on some stones that I had removed 5 days ago and what to expect when the stint is taken out. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User
Re: What to expect from kidney stone removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejazz View Post
hi

Drink plenty of fluids...

Did your doctor tell you what type of stones you had?
You may need to change your diet according to the type of stones you had.
Ask your doctor about this.

Are they removing thestent in the office or in the OR?

Does your stent have the string that comes out?

You will feel cramps, spasms for a while after the stent is out..you may want to have someone take you to the office if they are removing there..I had a lot of pain after they took mine out...(I've had MANY stents..I have a long history)...I take pain medicine before go to get mine out...it helps a little..

Hope you feel better soon..
Hi! No, I don't know what kind of stones they were but I was told that the stint is about 10" long! YIKES! Does that sound right? Did you bleed or feel nauseated? They put me on Cipro and I feel dizzy/lightheaded, not sure if that's normal either. I don't usually take meds other han an occassional tylonol or IB Profin. I just feel terrible!! Will it pass?????? Did you ever feel light headed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Quote:
The stents are long...I did bleed this is normal due to spasms in the bladder and the stents irritating...

Is the lighthededness from the pain of the stent or the medication?
I know the pain got so intense for me at times I felt nauseated and lightheaded...not sure if the Cipro can cause this...I wouldn't be surprised everyone's body reacts differently to medication.
How are you doing today?
Hi and thanks for asking. I took a whole (500 mg.) of Cipro yesterday morning and that's when I started really feeling bad. I had taken a half on Saturday am and the other half pm, and then the whole one the next morning. Today, I feel pretty off balance. I ended up laying down yesterday ay 6pm got up at 8pm and went to bed for the night at 8:45pm and don't feel that much better today. The pain is not so intense at this point and I get the stent out today! But when it had been, I didn't get nauseated because of the pain, so I tend to think it's the Cipro. I'm not taking it anymore until I really have to!

Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Quote:
How are you feeling after getting the stent out?

Cipro is antibiotic...Is it the Cipro CR (controlled release)?
Breaking them in half could be causing the naseau...especially if they are not suppose to be broken in half.

Did you ask your doctor about what type of stones you had?

Oh no...I feel like He**!!! They should have told me that I would hardly be able to walk out of there!! Oh My Gosh!!!!!!! It feels like I have bladder spasms and it hurts to go!!!! what have I done!!!!! I am going to the bathrm every 20 min!!!!! I won't know what kind of stones for another 4 weeks he said. Great! He told me to get off the Cipro. I still feel "off" today and now the pain!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Quote:
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain those stents are wicked...I wouldn't wish them on anyone...I couldn't begin to tell you how many I've had in my life ...but since July I've had 5 placed some were replaced because I had surgery in between those times...for my kidney and the cysto/retrograde tests....I also switched doctors because my old one wouldn't do anything for me...he literally said there is nothing more I can do even though the ER doctor was yelling at him that there was a problem...I go new doctor ASAP and he is very straight forward with me..
I have my test next Tuesday....Lasix renal scan..YUK...YUK...and more YUK!!!

How are feeling today any better????
Well, I quit taking the Cipro which I think is making me feel better...nausea wise, but the bladder spasms are horrible! I go all the time!!! I am having to switch doctors as well. I can't seem to get any communication out of this new Dr. and it is so frustrating!! Now, I can't get in to the new Dr. until the 16th and when making the appt., they ask me the reason and I just told them kidney pain....and yet, I still don't get in for 2 weeks! I just don't get it. I would think Dr's would go out of their way and be paranoid about malpractice suits and build a good relationship with their patients, but they don't. You call the Dr. to make an appt. because you're sick and they can't get you in for a week or two. I just don't understand that. We can plan that we are going to have something wrong. We call because something came up and they makes us wait 2 weeks???? No wonder malpractice Insurance is so high! That right there is the beginning of malpractice!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Sorry, I had to vent. I am so fed up with Dr.'s and they get upset if you try and diagnose yourself. Is it a wonder why??? I hope things go well with you and hope that you go through very minimal pain and get your situation cleared up!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Quote:
It's OK to vent it helps..and I agree with you about the doctors and malpractice insurance...I don't get it either...

The Lasix test is awful...I'm not looking forward to that AGAIN..

Do you have anything to take for the spasms?
They gave me Ditropan and pain med's when I had the stent in...and to use after until the spasms let up...they are terrible...wish you felt better.
They gave me Darvecet and Percecet which I am not taking any of them. They gave me nothing to calm the spasms down. They just aren't communicating with me about anything. I didn't even get a post op sheet of what to do at home! I'm on my own on this one! I hope you don't have to do too many more of these tests. Do you keep forming the stones or are they just not getting them?

Old 04-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
(female)

jana65 HB User

Hi ! I just read your post and was wondering how it went when your stent was removed. I have one now...I had my 5th lithotripsy on 3/6/07. In 2005 I found I had 2 large stones in each kidney. I had 4 lithos in 2005 and waited until this year to have another IVP. That revealed that some of the fragments from 2005 had re-formed into stones and were getting big again. So I had what I hope is my last treatment on 3/6/07.
I had 2 stents in 2005 and neither were lots of fun ( mostly just that feeling that you constantly have to go ! ) but both were removed in the Dr's. office. There was a pretty bad burning pain for about 1 hour afterward, then it was OK. I have to take my X-Rays from the hospital to my dr. so I look and them and the stent is clearly visible and it is quite long. I saw my stents once they were removed and they look like the plastic line that goes on a WeedEater ! I'm not kidding ! I was amazed at the thickness of the line itself.
By the way, I had to take Cipro in 2005, but had no problems with it. This time he just gave me a few Levaquin to take for about 3 days after the Litho.
Let me know how your stent removal went !

Jana65

Old 04-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
(female)

fromthesouth2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana65 View Post
Hi ! I just read your post and was wondering how it went when your stent was removed. I have one now...I had my 5th lithotripsy on 3/6/07. In 2005 I found I had 2 large stones in each kidney. I had 4 lithos in 2005 and waited until this year to have another IVP. That revealed that some of the fragments from 2005 had re-formed into stones and were getting big again. So I had what I hope is my last treatment on 3/6/07.
I had 2 stents in 2005 and neither were lots of fun ( mostly just that feeling that you constantly have to go ! ) but both were removed in the Dr's. office. There was a pretty bad burning pain for about 1 hour afterward, then it was OK. I have to take my X-Rays from the hospital to my dr. so I look and them and the stent is clearly visible and it is quite long. I saw my stents once they were removed and they look like the plastic line that goes on a WeedEater ! I'm not kidding ! I was amazed at the thickness of the line itself.
By the way, I had to take Cipro in 2005, but had no problems with it. This time he just gave me a few Levaquin to take for about 3 days after the Litho.
Let me know how your stent removal went !

Jana65

It was not a pleasant experience at all! It really hurt to get it removed, but they didn't tell me to take anything like IB Profin for pain before coming in which I should have done. I couldn't hardly walk out of the office, they should have told me to have someone drive me. Had bladder spasms alot afterwards. I had 3 litho's done and the danger about that is if you have a large stone and it breaks into pieces, you may not pass all the fragments and then they grow. I have a too large to pass stone in one of my kidneys which I have had for at least 9 plus years and they said that it would not give me pain because it's lodged in there pretty good. Is yours giving you pain? Did you have the lithos because of the ones that are in your kidney or were they elsewhere?

Old 04-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
(female)

jana65 HB User

My stones were quite large and I had 2 lithos on each kidney back in 2005. There were some large fragments that remained in the left kidney and two stoneswere reforming. I had my stent taken out Monday in his office and it went amazingly well. In the past I had some burning at the outside of the ureter.There was a little pain as he began but it was over in less than 3minutes. I am taking potassium ( 4 ) pills a day and a magnesium ( 1 ) pill once a day. I had a 24 hr. Urine and the stones are calcium oxalate. This combination of drugs will supposedly stop new stones from forming. I really don't know how long I'll take these pills. But I'm giving it a try, at the moment.
I really pray that i am DONE with kidney stones !!!

Closed Thread