It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
(male)

lars44 HB User
So scared for my future

Hi

I'm a 32 year old male and three weeks ago I started feeling like I constantly had to pee. I put it down to drinking too much tea that day, but the feeling never went, and its destroying my life. Blood tests have come back clear for liver and kidney function, sugar levels are normal, urine tests are clear and I even went to a sexual health clinic to test for anything which was clear.

I'm not waking in the night to pee, but find that towards the end of the day my symptoms are so much worse. Its like even though I have just emptied my bladder, I feel like I have to go again. Its driving me mad, I cant stand it, I cant concentrate on work, i'm too afraid to drive far in the car, I was such an outgoing person, its wrecking my life, and after reading about people who have had this for years and it getting worse, I dont think I could live with this.

I have been referred to a urologist for more tests. The doctor said that sometimes the muscle in the bladder can go into spasms, but this has been weeks now. Somedays its better than others.

Weird thing is, I dont get it at night - sure it takes a while to drift off to sleep because I am thinking about peeing, but after that i'm ok until morning. Also weird is that if I have a few drinks of alcohol, the feeling subsides. Also, if i'm really busy, the feeling subsides and I can go a few hours.

Ive gone from peeing maybe 4 times a day, to going 10-15 times a day. I had a 3 hour exam in work the other day which was total agony. SOmetimes I get the feeling from my penis that I am leaking a bit, but I am not.

There seems to be a lot of people on here with similar problems, who havent been cured, I cant live with it I really cant if I am stuck with it. Whats confusing me is why I dont get it at night, why alcohol helps it and why I can ignore it if I am busy.

Does anyone on here have similar symptoms and more importantly, how do you live with it? i.e. work, travel, holidays, sex life etc? I am so depressed from this....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
(male)

jkhh HB User
Re: So scared for my future

Gary,

It is very depressing and consuming. I've had similar symptoms and diagnosed with at least 3 episodes of Prostatitis (bacterial). I have the daytime problems you've specified, however, I don't wake up at night that often. Caffeine is a definite irritant to the prostate (at least my urologist always told me). I try to drink more water during the day but that just makes it worse because of the flooding of the kidneys and bladder. What has worked for me so far is anti-biotics (Cipro) and we're talking at least a month or more each time. Also, my present urologist has placed me on flomax at the same time. This helps with the emptying/voiding issues! After a couple of weeks, I start doing better and gaining some confidence back. I would lean towards prostatitis because it is so common with young males especially and the symptoms you describe are text book symptoms of it. Try a hot tub or hot bath and then see if there is a difference. This seems to relax my muscles and helps with the emptying/voiding.

Don't give up. I've had so much emotions from it, but you just have to see the light ahead. I've just finished the 2nd week of anti-biotic and flomax. You have to get yourself to where you feel like you have voided completely. The flomax seems to help greatly in this area! Also, I have a tendency to strain because of the voiding/urgency feeling and the flomax will help relax the involved muscle around the bladder.

Last edited by jkhh; 04-16-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: omission

Old 04-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

yellowbird14 HB User

Gary,
I'm new to this board, but my heart went out to you while reading your post, so I wanted to reply. I am a 23 year old female who has been living with interstitial cystitis for 5 years. It's an inflammation of the bladder with no known cause or cure. I discovered one day that I was experiencing all of the symptoms you listed: urgency, feeling like I needed to pee gallons when it was only a tiny drop, the feeling like I need to go even though I just went, etc.. it was awful. I thought it might be a UTI, so I had it checked out, and my FIRST urine test was positive, so I was put on antibiotics (Levaquin) but after taking them faithfully, the pain wasn't gone. I called the doctor back and she gave me another round of Levaquin but she was certain the symptoms should have been gone by then. They really weren't. After another round, they were still there. I went in for another urine test and it came up clear. I was checked for all STDs as well, and nothing came up. Finally, she referred me to a urologist who said it sounded like interstitial cystitis. He set up an appointment for a cystoscopy - hydrodistension of the bladder - where they look into your bladder via scope through your urethra (fortunately, you're asleep for this) and they fill your bladder to its maximum capacity with water, then drain it and look for hemmorages on the bladder wall. When I awoke, the doctor confirmed that I had interstitial cystitis. He showed me pictures of my bladder and there were broken blood vessels all over. He explained that there's no cure, but there are treatments. One, which has helped me greatly, is the medication Elmiron, which acts as a coating for the bladder, blocking irritants from the bladder wall. He also told me to monitor my diet for irritants - caffeine (coffee, chocolate, soda) and other highly acidic things like juice, tomatoes, etc.. With the exception of the past few months (I'm pregnant and stopped Elmiron) this type of treatment has worked wonders for me. I still feel like I need to go even when there's nothing in my bladder, but it's not as strong.

Although interstitial cystitis is found primarily in women, I wouldn't rule it out, in your case, because the symptoms are so similar to what I experienced - especially not being able to concentrate. I rarely wake up during the night, and I find that if I'm distracted enough, I don't seem to notice the symptoms, but alcohol never made it any easier for me!

Mention it to your urologist - he or she might recommend a cystoscopy which could at least rule it out. . Good luck and please keep us posted.

Last edited by yellowbird14; 04-17-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 AM   #4
(male)

lars44 HB User

Thanks for your replies. Could you tell me if some days you dont get any symptoms at all? Or do you have the feeling every day? Just that 2 days ago I didnt have ANY feelings that I needed to go - my day seemed normal and it was so nice to remember what it was like to feel normal again. Yesterday - they came back and got me down so much I just went to bed as I couldnt stick staying awake any longer.

I've seen 2 doctors, both have told me I am not drinking enough water because my urine is so concentrated. I know they are right as I hardly drink any water, I never have done, the one doctor said this may be the cause of my problems in that my body is starting to react to not having enough fluid, BUT, surely more water = more visits to the loo?

I dont have in infection - well, not one that has been picked up during a urine test or a STD test, so I dont think drinking loads to flush it out would work. The only thing I can say though is that I dont feel as strong an urge to go all the time as I did say, when this first started 3-4 weeks ago....

I still wonder sometimes if its in my head but am not sure. For example, when riding my motorbike I can totally forget about it and not need to pee for 3-4 hours. When sitting in my car, I feel like I need to go constantly. Arrrghhhh.... just feel like my body is out of control.

The one thing that made me think this may of been an STD is that these symptoms started 3 days after having a one night stand where the condom broke, but i've been checked for everything in my STD clinic and all was negative. And given the urine test was also negative, is there anything else that can cause this.

Also - ive read that anxiety and depression can also cause these symptoms??? Is this true?

PS. A hot bath or shower I find actually makes my symptoms worse!!!

Last edited by lars44; 04-19-2007 at 02:05 AM.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
(male)

jkhh HB User

Gary,

What are you drinking the night before and the morning of the days that are good vs. the days that are bad? With me, if I drink a lot of coffee in the morning, I'll have a lot of bathroom visits because coffee is hard on the prostate. If I drink less coffee and more water, I still go a lot but it's more productive. Like you, I don't drink enough water. Probably, if we could drink it mostly in a couple of weeks many symptoms would be ridded and the kidneys, etc. would be flushed. If you're drinking a lot of tea or alcohol the night before, those irritate the prostate as well.

The hot bath (esp. hot tub) is to get the prostate massaged and may or may not help but it can be good for the short term. Pretty much, the prostate is located behind your testicles so you've got to try and get that area to where it's releasing the bacteria in the prostate (caffeine and other irritants, gather there and stay put-that's also where the Cipro or other anti-biotics are often necessary). Because of its location, it's difficult to get this area relaxed.

I can't emphasize enough that you need to find a urologist whom you are comfortable talking to but more importantly, will work with you until you get this resolved. It may or may not be prostate related, however, the stress you're placing on yourself is not helpful to you or the problem. I've been there and done that and it only makes it worse! You can get thru it but I don't think (from my experience with it at least) that it would resolve on it's own. Good luck.

Last edited by jkhh; 04-19-2007 at 07:36 AM. Reason: omission

Old 04-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
(male)

lars44 HB User

Hi - these symptoms all started on a day I was drinking a lot of tea. I just thought it was from drinking too much of the stuff. Today I am fine, been to toilet 3 times since waking up, its now 5pm and I dont feel any urges. Though all day I have had 1 small glass of water. Yesterday I had one cup of tea in the morning and I felt bad all day. Maybe its tea....

In the nights - I may have a small Jack Daniels before bed. I have been depressed and suffering from anxiety lately, though this all started during a week I was very relaxed.

I find it worst if I am sat at my desk in work or sat at home watching tv. Maybe its because I am thinking about it. I've been to an interview today and into college and have felt fine, also did a lot of driving. Im afraid to drink loads of water incase it makes things worse!! My doctor recommened 3 Litres a day which to me seems a lot!

If I had bacteria in my prostrate, wouldnt this have shown something up on the urine test?

Old 04-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
(male)

jkhh HB User

Gary,

Not necessarily something that would show up in the urine. Prostatitis is one of the tougher things to treat because of the unknowns (it's more diagnosed by symptoms and digital rectal exam . To give you an idea, pilots, motorcyclists, bicyclists commonly have it. So, when you tell me you sit at a desk a lot (as do I), it tells me you are someone that would commonly have it.

Ideally, one should drink 1/2 weight (in ounces) of water/day. Do I do it? No! Should I be giving you advise on it? No. . With that said, today I drank a couple of 20 ounce glasses at lunch. I'll try and do it again with dinner. I think if you drink it with meals, you'll notice it less. That way, you're not just sitting and thinking "I've got to drink 100 ounces of water today."

Last edited by jkhh; 04-19-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: omission

Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
(male)

lars44 HB User

Thanks for your replies, you are being very helpful and it is appreciated. Ive been reading lots about this condition and considering so many people have it, i'm amazed they cant treat it effectively. I have read that it is resistant to many antibiotics, and as such will keep coming back all the time - my question is - will it ever go? Funny enough, I have just been out on my motorbike this evening. Symptoms are much better when I stand, though sometimes I feel like I have dribbled but havent, its horrible feeling.

Still havent drunk any more today - how do I pee so much if I am not drinking anything?????? Can I please ask you how old are you, would you say you live a normal life because of this? I mean, I am worried I may never go on holiday again, go to the cinema, take a girl out for dinner, its really going to have such a big effect on my life. Feel sometimes that I may be stranded in the house for the rest of my life

Last edited by lars44; 04-19-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

You guys got to drink lots of water, at least 8 glasses a day!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
(male)

jkhh HB User

Laura, I couldn't agree more! If only they didn't make those diet sodas (pop) so tasty .

Gary, I am 39 and holding (for another month ). I've been battling this for a few years (and looking back, it may have started near your age). I would think it would be the irritation that causes you to urinate even when you haven't drank anything, especially if you have little flow. Laura is right about the water, it definitely helps with flushing out the organs and helps with a good flow. Let's work on drinking more water! You can buy flavor packets at the grocery to pour in a bottle of water that gives them some flavor.

I have another urologist appt next friday. Probably, he'll prescribe more anti-biotics and maybe flomax if i'm not better. I'd say I'm about 50-60% improved from my visit 2 weeks ago. Prostatitis is very tough to conquer. You will get better (regardless if it's prostatitis or not). You have shown by posting on this board that you're interested in resolving it (although understandably frustrated). Just find a good urologist, get treatment and let time work it out.

Let us know if you get clarification from the doctor/urologist. Also, I've had kidney stones in the past and they cause the same type of urinary problems although you should know by the pain beneath your abdomen (with a kidney stone). If it's not prostatitis, at least you'll be better educated for the future .

Last edited by jkhh; 04-19-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: omission

Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #11
(male)

lars44 HB User

Cant believe you have had this for so long. Thats what bothers me the most is that it seems people have this thing for life. Been reading that the antibiotics may help for a while, but it keeps coming back all the time. Tell you whats weird, and maybe you notice this??? If I try and ignore the feeling, the longer I go without peeing, after a while the feeling goes, as if my bladder has filled up more and soothed the irritation!!

Its just the "feeling" all the time that youre dying to go that is the worst. I get absolutely no pain whatsoever so I doubt its kidney stones. Anyway, thanks again for your help and I will let you know how I get on. Unfortunately being in the UK, we have long waiting lists for treatment so I have to wait a while

Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #12
(male)

lars44 HB User

Judge can I ask you another question please. Do you find that your symptoms get worse as the day progresses? I find that in the morning when I get up I dont have the feeling, then once I go to toilet first thing, it starts the cycle of symptoms, and the more I pee, the more I get the symptoms, until in the evening they are really bad and i'm ready to jump out of a window!!!!

You say you have been on antibiotics for years - do they make any difference. For example, with most antibiotics, after a while you can feel yourself getting better. Once you stop taking them, how long until your symptoms re-appear?

One more thing, where do you get the urge to pee? Mine is in my urethra, mainly towards the end of the penis, and sometimes it feels like I have leaked, but I havent. I dont get any pushing or pain from the bladder area which is weird, but sitting at my desk for example, or in the car, I am aware of the feeling that something is immediately going to leak out, but nothing ever does - do you get this or is your feeling more in the bladder area?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
(male)

jkhh HB User

Gary,

I've only been on the anti-biotics for 3 weeks, but I've had prostatitis this past year (last summer) and was on anti-biotics for about 6 weeks. Before that, it only took a couple of weeks of ant-biotics to do the trick.

Usually, as the day moves along, it gets worse. Really, if I drink a few cups of coffee at work then I'm running to the bathroom for several hours back and forth. My urge usually starts like any normal cycle, however, it's as if I'm not finished when I think I'm finished . Then, I'm back in there in just a few minutes regardless of whether I've drank liquids during the interim. As I told you, anti-biotics have improved it (plus the Flomax helps get a good stream and flow) and I'm drinking more water (day-to-day ). I drank about 2 liters of water today while golfing so this counts as a good day. I hope you get it under control soon. I'm back to the urologist on Friday so I'm hoping this week is one of progress for me. Hang in there, soon it will be hot dry days .

Last edited by jkhh; 04-22-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: omission

Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #14
(male)

lars44 HB User

Thanks for the reply. Yeah same as me, starts as a normal flow, but then its like releasing a valve and it all starts off again. Good to hear your out playing golf though, thats bit of good news as it shows you can spend a few hours out and about away from a loo! Past 2 days I have been feeling much better, hardly noticeable, and i've been drinking more water.

My doctor sent off some bloods for a PSU test, I think thats what it was called anyway, prostate test or something, and some more urine tests have been sent away.

Will let you know how I get on - Thanks by the way, its good to have someone to talk to about this!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
(male)

Sleeper678 HB User

Hi, Gary.

I'm 38 and I had exactly the same symptom as you and was at my wits end as to what it was. My GP couldn't tell me, my Uro couldn't tell me (initially!) and I felt that my life was over. I went through three months of antibiotics and then another three of bladder spasm medication, both to no avail. Some days wouldn't be too bad, others would be horrific. I saw a PT who helped a bit but nothing came close to solving the problem.

Then in September 2006, 7 months after it all started, I had a cystoscopy. This showed that I had a high and narrowed bladder neck. I was put on alpha blockers which helped a bit but again weren't satisfactory. You have to give them at least three months though.

As this hadn't worked I went for videourodynamic analysis. This showed that my flow rate was weak (Qmax 11 ml/s) and that I had an obstruction at the bladder neck caused by overgrown muscles. My surgeon recommended that I have a Bladder Neck Incision to resolve the problems.

On March 6 this year I had the op. I was out the next day (overnight stay with a catheter in - yikes!) and ******* like a racehorse. Aparently this had been building for years but I'd just never noticed it. When I peed at that rate I thought "My God! It's a firehose!".

7 weeks later I still have excellent flow (about 25 ml/s or higher). My other symptoms have eased off a little bit but will take time (maybe up to 6 months) to clear up completely. The trouble is that once the obstruction is removed your bladder has to get back in shape and that takes time.

I am still fertile - my surgeon advised there was a high risk of reto but this didn't happen - and looking forward to getting my life back. The only thing I wish I hadn't done is too much exercise to soon as this caused a bit of bleeding and put me back a few weeks. Ah well, you live and learn! when they say '"take it easy" they mean it.

My advice to you is to have a full urological workup. I went through 7 months of hopelessness before we finally got a hold on what the problem was. Hopefully this will resolve the problems for me with a bit more time. There are no guarantees (the operation is about 80% succseful but if your flow rate improves generally everything else does too) but it's worth it if that's what's wrong.

It's our health. Insist on full treatment.

Last edited by Sleeper678; 04-23-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Closed Thread