It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

Catherine83 HB User
UTI that wont go away..Please Read

Hello - I'm 23 and about a month and a half ago I starting having some signs of UTI. I had a burning feeling when I would urinate and there was also a pressure along with it like if you were to stop right in the middle of urination (but I wasn't stopped). Also, I had a feeling like I still had to urinate but couldn't. Anyway, I called my doctor and she phoned me in 2 different things... One was Septra DS tablets (take for 10 days) and also pyridium 200mg (to help with the burning). I took these as told and after 10 days felt some relief. Then about 3 days later the burning started to come back. This time I made an appointment and went in to see my doctor. (this is now about 3 weeks into at this point). She tested my urine and I did in fact have a UTI. She then gave me Levaquin 500MG to take for 3 days. It seemed to help a lot but now that I'm through with taking them...I'm still haven't some issues. I drink ONLY water ...NO SODA, tea, etc. My urine is still yellow in color. Usually, when I drink water, it is clear. Also, there is a definant urine smell. And 1 time (last night) when I went to the bathroom I had a SLIGHT buring feeling. Does anyone know what this could be or why I could be having this problem??? I'm going back to the doctor but can't get in for 2 weeks.... Thanks - Catherine

Old 05-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
(female)

chime80200 HB User
Re: UTI that wont go away..Please Read

There's a chance that the Levequin didn't kill all of the bacteria and it's starting to return or that the bladder and urethra are still inflamed and may go away in a few days. It's still better to make sure you go to a follow up appointment to see if they find any lingering bacteria. If it's just inflamed, hopefully it will go away on its own.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
(female)

spiritcf HB User
Question Re: UTI that wont go away..Please Read

I have completed the fourth round of antibiotics for a simple UTI infection that has been sent in for culture twice showing no E-coli... just normal bacteria. It returns despite very careful hygiene. Part of this could be my age (post menopausal) and not emptying the bladder completely.

In several other posts the question was raised about using UTI-clear and its effectiveness. Only one person replied with an answer to the questions about the effectiveness of using that product. I would be grateful if someone who has used this product would reply to this thread and let me know if it really works or if it is hype. I am in the fourth day of using the product and see no change.

Also, I read about inflammation in the urethera tube and wondered if the inflammation occurs because of the infection or exactly how that happens.

spiritcf

Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

I would like to know also about what the above poster has asked. I'm at my breaking point now with almost 2 months of having this infection. I am also a very clean person and can't imagine how this got started. I'm going back to the doctor on Tuesday morning to probably get more antibiotics. If these don't work then I dont know what to do. A lady that I work with had terrible UTI problems and had done EVERYTHING under the sun to correct the issue. She took antibiotics for MONTHS and nothing helped. So, she went to some kind of health/herb store and talked to them. They suggested an herb for her to take that was actually very inexpensive. It worked for her and she's had no infections for over a years. So, if worse comes to worse, I am going to try that. I'll find out what exactly the name of this stuff was if anyone is interested. Thanks and I'll keep posting. ~ Catherine

Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

UIT's have many causes. You should urinate before and after sex. During sex bacteria in the vaginal area can be massaged into the urethra by the motion of the males penis. Waiting to long to urinate causes the bladder to stretch beyond its capacity and over time it may weaken the bladder muscle. When that happens the bladder is weakened and has a hard time completely emptying which can cause urine to be left in the bladder. That can increase the risk of UTI's.

I can't take baths cause it causes me to get a UTI and I can't drink oj any more for the same reason the amount of acid in it gives me a UTI. I have to sanitze my water bottle after each use or I will get a UTI. I refrain from sex mainly while on the Cipro. I just feel dirty but I dont' want any more bacteria to get in there while I'm trying to kill the ones I have.
I am usually given Cipro for 10 days to clear it up.

I wipe from front to back after a bowel movement or urination. I drink plenty of water. Drinking plenty of water each day will help flush bacteria out of the urinary system along with emptying the bladder as soon as you feel the urge. Doctors say urinating before and after sex is good for flushing out any bacteria that may enter the urethra during sexual intercourse.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
(female)

spiritcf HB User

Hi Catherine,

I posted this question, "Does anyone know if UTI-Clear (a Native Remedy (company) suggested to clear up the UTI actually works?" There is so much hype about products that I wanted to know if anyone has had success with the product. Also... I just learned yesterday that taking the antibiotics several times actually promotes the urinary tract infection. I heard this from someone who recently got over a serious kidney infection.

I started cycling and think that this may have started the problem... or... as one poster suggested ... bath water. I don't often take a bath (instead I shower, but I used the Jacuzzi for sore muscles). The jets can carry bacteria.

It is hard to imagine that sex is the culprit after being married for 51 years; but I appreciate knowing preventive possibliities.

I have now taken the UTI-Clear for over a week and some of the symptoms appear to be abated. Perhaps I am still inflamed from (bike riding? or having the UTI??). I have an appointment to get my urine re-tested the first part of next week; I wanted to wait an additional week to see what will happen with the "UTI-Clear.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

Hello ~ I also saw that UTI~Clear while doing some research online just now. I was curious to know how it worked and that will probably be my next resort. PLEASE be sure and write me back to let me know if it helped you. I'm holding my breath that this current dosage of antibiotics will treat my problem but then again I could have cystitis. I wont know for about 2-3 weeks though. I'm going to let this medication run its course before I head down that road with no health insurance. Please keep me posted on your results and I will do the same. Thanks ~ Catherine

Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
(female)

chime80200 HB User

I started using the UTI-Clear recently as well. However, unfortunately, I can't really claim that it helped get rid of a UTI since I've more or less only taken it as a preventative. I was on antibiotics for my last UTI and once I finished those I've taken a dose of the UTI-Clear almost every day. I will say that some days I have felt the slight inkling/ tingling/ throb of a UTI and have taken the UTI-Clear and didn't have it return the rest of the day. However, whenever I feel that throb I usually start drinking a ton of cranberry juice and water and popping D-mannose pills and now the UTI-Clear so I can't say for sure what is helping it and what isn't. I've just made it part of my regimen.

I'm just trying my best to make it till next tuesday without another UTI since I finally have an appointment with a Urologist. Apparently, they prefer to do the tests about 10 days after the antibiotics are out of your system so I'm trying really hard to make sure I don't get put on another bout of antibiotics in the mean time. Two showers a day, no sex, tons of water and cranberry juice, D-Mannose (even though my last two infections weren't caused by e-coli I figure it can't hurt, right?), now the UTI-Clear, always wiping front to back (and also using wipes of sort to make sure I'm super clean afterward and haven't missed anything), and whatever else I could possibly think of. I feel like these chronic UTIs are taking over my life!

I'm rambling, sorry. The question was about UTI-Clear, I know. As I said, it may be getting rid of my pre-symptoms but I don't know for sure. I don't know if I would trust it over antibiotics though, hence why I'm using it as a preventative. I tend to get really sick with nausea right from the beginning of a UTI so I don't have the patience to really try to treat a UTI solely with the UTI clear when the antibiotics seem to work so much faster. I do hope though it prevents the UTI and therefore, I don't have to keep taking antibiotics because the side-effects are horrendous. Anyway, I hope you find more answers soon. I'll probably keep checking back myself just to hear if anyone else has experience with UTI-Clear.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I wish I could tell you I knew the answer. My heart goes out to you. I am having Bladder Urgency. I am a prisoner to the toilet. I am going to the doctor today for a Cystometry (Measurement of Bladder Pressure) and wondered if it hurts so I came here. I had a bladder tack when I had a hysterectomy but now it seems to have stopped helping. I go today at 3.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

Dixie - I wish you only the best with your bladder issues. I'm so sorry and will pray for you. I will have to have that done next and I dread it. Please let me know how painful it is and how long it takes. Do they put you to sleep for this? Good luck with everything. Please keep me posted. ~ Catherine

Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #11
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

Thanks for your prayers!!!! Being the chicken I am it was not as bad as I thought. The first thing is a Q-Tip test where they put a Q-tip in there and you cough. It was not terrible just strange. They use a lot of lubricant for the tests. They also use Batadine so when you are done you may see some Batadine on the paper gown so don't freak out (like me) and think it is blood.
It kind of was uncomfortable when they put the catheter in but the catheter was extra tiny (small as a paper clip) and flexible. I did not have to go far up which was also a concern I had. They also placed a small sensor in my anus. It was a very small tube and it was not that bad either (although unpleasant if you sit and think about it too hard) but on a pain scale zero. The sensor in the anus had a tiny balloon that they filled with water. The balloon was the size of a paper clip (of that big) Once it was in place it was just a little odd feeling. The nurse said that rarely do they put it in the exact place it is needed so she said she may have to move it some. I told her that I would be praying that it was in the right place. ( I was not kidding). She then checked the computer monitor and said that it was indeed the right place. SHe says that almost never happens. I told her that prayer works and smiled. It really helped to have a nurse that was ready to explain everything and was compassionate. I had to sit in a chair like when you get a pap smear, same position. Once the catheter sensors were in place they filled my bladder with water. It was cold but that was the only sensation. Then I had to tell her when I first felt the urge to urinate. Then she filled it more to and told me when I had the urge so bad that I was in pain. (not bad pain- just when I do the Pee Pee dance pain..sorry my graphics are kind of funny). The nurse has this set up so that if you do leak urine it does not go on you or shoot out to her. They have a catch all thing in place so no one gets wet. It was reassuring to me. then she asked me to cough so urine would leak and it did. Then she said I could release the urine but I could not through the catheter thing so I had to wait a few minutes so she could record things on the computer. Then she took the catheters out (not painful) and I was allowed to go to the restroom. It burned a little when I went and the water was cold coming out but that was it. They give you antibiotics just in case you get an infection. They gave me a kind that made me sick once Levaquinn so I told them to change it and they changed it to Microbid. I have to take it for a week I think. I have to check the bottle. The nurse said that some people continue to feel a little burn when they urinate for a couple of days but I have not. My results were that I have a tiny bladder ( I was like Darn it I would) and I have some leakage when I cough or sneeze. I can have surgery but it is not so bad that I need to do it right away. I go back in July. I just don't want to wear those pads. My Mom had to do that and she hated it and there is a smell. My MOm did have the sling put in and she loves it. SHe has had no problems since. She had a prolapsed bladder. Mine is in place it is just tiny and weak. I hope this helps you. If I CAN do this you can too. I have never had a baby which everyone tells me is the worst pain in life. This is nothing compared to some things I have had done. I hope I have made it easier for you. I took a 2.5 xanax before but I did not tell them. I dreamed it up to be worse than it was. I will keep you in my prayers. Let me know.
Much love and prayers!!
dixie

Old 06-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #12
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I forgot to mention that they do not put you to sleep. It takes about 20-30 minutes for my test. My Mom had infections like you for many many years. I have never had one. I have taken her to the emergency room many many times and my heart goes out to you that have them. She was finally diagnosed with a prolapsed bladder. She is a small lady who had 2, 8 pound babies one of which broke her tailbone and his exit so I think over the years the bladder dropped. She was about 50 something when she got the bladder sling. Before that she had to wear those pads and she hated it. She is very happy now with the sling and no more infections. She is the one who told me about the doctor that I went to.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #13
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

Also I read some things on the web about after the test that I had that you should shower for a couple of days instead of using the tub. The doctor did not tell me this but I figured it would not be a bad idea, plus I am taking the Microbid and drinking tons of water. I am taking a cycling class too which is why I went to the doctor. We take long rides so I always have to potty a lot the doc gave me enablex to stop the urgency. You have to stay hydrated to ride so I am drinking a lot of water during my rides. I live in Southern Georgia and it is so hot and dry that if I did not drink a lot of water I would get dehydrated for sure.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #14
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

Dixie ~ Thank you SO much for explaining all of that to me. I didn't want to go into it clueless about what was going to happen so it means the world that you took the time to explain it. I'm still scared but that is just because I worry constantly about anything and everything I can. I've been like that since I was a child and it's terrible. I did pray for you so I'm so glad that it went well. I have never had any children either and I've tried everything possible to avoid that pain. I've heard horror stories from my mother :-) so I can deal with a urologist (I hope...). I just have to keep thinking "This could always be worse"
I'm still not taking to my anitibiotics. I'm on Microbid at this point (this is the 4th day). I was so down yesterday that I cried most of the evening. I think it's just frustrating and it just came on all of a sudden and now it wont let up. I have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday and then take in a urine culture to my doctor. From there she is going to send them off to a lab and have the white blood cells annolized to find out what this infection could be. I just hope it doesn't take long to get the results back. So, from there I'll know what steps I need to take. I pray that it isn't anything serious.

I'm glad that all you have is a small bladder. Yes, it can be annoying but at least it isn't serious. I must have that because I dread going on long car rides...I have to stop about every 30 min's and find a bathroom. I recently went to Tybee Island, Ga which is about 6-7 hours away from me (I'm in SE TN) and my friend kept saying that I must have something wrong with me to have to stop that much! I'm just falling apart I guess!!!! :-) I'll keep you posted. Take Care ~ Catherine

Last edited by Catherine83; 06-01-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
(female)

dixiepeep HB User

I too have been crying a lot because the bladder problem is just one problem that I am having trouble with. Everytime I eat I get really nauseated so one doctor thinks it is my gallbladder. I had a test last week where they shoot dye into your body and then scan the gallbladder. The worst part there was getting the I.V. in because I have rolling veins. Then I had to lay still for 45 minutes which of course right in the middle of it all I had such a bad need to urinate. I had to hold it which was miserable. I still don't know the results. I find out June 4th. Then I have to have an endoscopy test which I am completely terrified of so I understand the crying spells. We just have too much going on and the tests are so much without anyone telling us hey, You will get through this!!! You will get through this!!! You are stronger than you think!!! I am sending you a virtual hug and a pat on your back plus prayers.

I live in Georgia about 4 hours from Tybee. I am kind of relieved that it is my small bladder but the medicine they gave me to take is making me sleepy and I am at work. I feel like a bobble head I am so sleepy!! A couple of months ago a friend and I went to the Georgia Aquarium which is a little over four hours away. I told her ahead of time where I would need to stop and she understood. I told her she has a bladder made of steel and she told me that I had one of a small mouse. At least I can laugh about it.

If you have a compasstionate nurse for the test it is so much easier. It is hard to make conversation while you are in the chair but I have found it to be comforting. I pray that you will breeze right through it.

Closed Thread