It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Not urinating hardly at all....

How many times should a person pee each day? I have been drinking about 8-10 12 oz. glasses of water but only go 2 or 3 times a day.... Is this something to worry about?

Old 07-30-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
(female)

~briza~ HB User
Re: Not urinating hardly at all....

You could make a fluid intake/urine output journal. How I wish I only had to pee 3-5 times a day.. I have a painfu bladder condition called Interstitial Cystits and with my med (elavil) I "only" have to go 10 -15 times a day, down from 30-40. If you are concerned and feeling other symptoms such as pain, burning bladder, anything else down there, I would see a doctor. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Well, I have always went about 6-8 times a day. I came down witha kidney infection a little over a month ago. They thought I had stones, but after the testing it has come back that I don't. I still have blood in urine & don't feel like I have to pee hardly at all. I make myself go & sometimes I have to push it out. It burns sometimes when I pee, but sometimes when I am able to go easily without pushinng then it doens't burn. The MD just said no stones after the IVP & left it at that. I would think these symptoms (along with the pelvic/groin/back/rib(they were calling it kidney pain)) would be of concern, but they didn't even need me to be seen again....

Old 07-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
(female)

~briza~ HB User

I would be careful on pushing to pee. That can cause even more problems. Best to do something to relax the muscles...run the faucet or use some relaxation techiniques to prepare yourself. Using a sitz bath filled with warm water on the toilet can also be very helpful...go in that and then rinse with fresh water. If you don't have a sitz bath (available in med supply stores or pharmacies that sell med supplies) you can do the same in the tub. I don't have any experience with kidney stones, so I can't comment on that.
If you are retaining urine, that can be very painful, that's why I think a voiding log would be helpful, in case your symptoms don't go away, you can take that with you to the dr. Keep an eye on the size of your belly...if it swelling and you are experienceing a lot of pain, that can mean you are retaining. There is a med called Pyridium that is available by rx but can also be bought OTC as Uristat or AZO standard. It's a bladder antispasmodic...I take it for bladder pain and burning. You can get it at any grocery store or pharmacy section of drugstores or places like walmart. Were you tested for a UTI? That can cause bleeding and other urinary and bladder symptoms. You can also by a test kit for that OTC, but I would still drop off a urine sample with your dr and have it not only tested but also ask to have it cultured, so if you do have some bacteria involved, you get put on the right antibiotic. If you do that and are still experiencing pain and other symptoms, I would ask your MD for a referral to a urologist. Other than the pain in your rib area, your symptoms sound similar to mine, except that I usually have to pee a lot. Some with my condition have problems with retention. You could ask for an ultrasound or sonogram (can't remember which) to see if you are retaining after you've peed....if you are that could be the cause of your pain and it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn how to self cath if that is the problem. I know I'm throwing a lot of info at you, but just trying to cover all bases. Best wishes

Old 07-31-2007, 04:28 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~briza~ View Post
I would be careful on pushing to pee. That can cause even more problems. Best to do something to relax the muscles...run the faucet or use some relaxation techiniques to prepare yourself. Using a sitz bath filled with warm water on the toilet can also be very helpful...go in that and then rinse with fresh water. If you don't have a sitz bath (available in med supply stores or pharmacies that sell med supplies) you can do the same in the tub.
Why not push out pee? I mentioned it to the doctor but he didn't seem to think it was an issue...? What problems can it cause?

I have been trying to just relax as you said. It just dribbles out & I dont' seem done when no more comes out. Then I get those pelvic pains & cramps (probably bladder pain?) They did an IVP, no stones, no problems with anything. (The CT scan did find some " numerous, too numerous to count, bilateral pelvic calcifications, most of which likely represent phleboliths.") That's it. So I guess I don't know what's wrong. Maybe it's not anything serious, so I should just forget about it & not worry.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
(female)

~briza~ HB User

Pushing/forcing urine out can cause pelvic floor problems known as Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. PFD can also cause pain and problems with urinating...there are two types...one type creates tight muscles, which sounds like you may already be dealing with, the other type is a weakening of the muscles, in this case, kegels might be recommended but it sounds like you have the tight version. I have the first type...I was rxd low dose valium 2mg 3 x day because of vaginal/pelvic floor spasms. I described my symptoms to my gyn and he gave the rx for valium. It was a godsend. It is very low dose, acts as muscle relaxer, but doesn't make you sleepy, drugged, or unable to function. I have also tried muscle relaxers but the side effects were much too strong, no matter how small the dose, if I took one I would be knocked out for at least 10 hrs. Most people I know who have this condition prefer valium, because of its lack of side effects compared to muscle relaxers. Some drs recommend physical therapy for PFD, but it is time consuming, costly, and often difficult to find a PT who specialized in pelvic/bladder conditions. And many times is not successful.
Hope his helps...
Bri
PS I've seen A LOT of drs, and the majority of them don't know #&%( regarding bladder issues). I would get a second opinion, test for UTI, an ultrasound or sonogram to see if you are retaining, and if you are have them teach you how to self cath, it's not hard with a small cath 5 or 8 French and lidocaine to use as lube, and try to get an rx for a med (like valium) that will relax your bladder. Best not to ask for that kind of med by name, speaking from experience. IF your GP is not able to help you, try a urologist or your gyn...gyn's tend to be more compassionate, since they deal with women only.

Last edited by ~briza~; 07-31-2007 at 10:05 PM.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

That may be my problem! I will mention it to my PCP. I see her Monday for a PAP & yearly checkup. I don't go to a gyn, just have my PCP do it & she's a PA-C. Hopefully she will help me...

Old 08-02-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I always drink water, and maybe once in a while juice or milk. Drinking soda has always given me UTI's. The pain in my ribs is bothering me pretty bad right now. Do you ever get that? All the other symptoms seem like my symptoms, although I keep feeling like I have to pee today instead of NOT having to go. When I do go, I have tried pushing more out (once or twice, I am trying NOT to do that) after I feel like I am done, and more always comes out. I get this cramping in my pelvic (bladder area?) pretty much every time I go. It stinks. I have noticed that having sex (once I start feeling like having an orgasm, sorry if that's TMI) is causing cramping. It was so bad the other night I felt like I had to push something out, kinda like I was in labor or had to have a BM (but did not have a BM). I tried to relax myself with breathing.... Totally stinks. I am calling my doc this morning about the AZO UTI test I took. It was positive for WBCs but negative for Nitrites. (Do you ever have WBCs in your urine?) I will let you know if they want to see me or not... I hope I don't get in trouble at work, I have been missing a lot of work...

Last edited by moderator2; 08-02-2007 at 06:23 AM.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I guess WBCs in urine are no biggie. No infection. They didn't really want to see me at all. Said there was something wrong causing this pain, but they seemed more concerned abut the pulse & heart rythm & palps. It kinda scares me a little. I worry more about the pain because I am having a hard time handling it. I think that is what is causing my heart issue. It is progressively getting worse right now. I have been doing some yoga stretches a few times a day (but nothing too exerting due to this racing heart) thinking that may help. I have went & had manipulation done hoping that would help. It has not.

I peed very frequently yesterday & when I had the urine test there was no blood in urine. First time since this has all happened I guess. I would think that would mean I am getting better but how come I feel worse?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
(female)

~briza~ HB User

If I haven't mentioned it before, I would research Interstitial Cystistis. When wbc are present but no nitrates, this can mean that your bladder is inflamed and that could be the cause of the wbc. I was similar in that I had wbc but no infection, and after a round of anti biotics, my symptoms improved for a few days but then came back very intensely. There is no cure for IC, but many many meds to treat the symptoms and many people go into remission, especially if treated early. Best wishes. If you are in pain, that can often raise your blood pressure.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-04-2007 at 05:33 AM.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Well, I went to the PCP today & she did my urine & said I still had leukocytes (WBCs) in my urine along with protein so she sent it to the lab for more tests. She wants me to have a pelvic ultrasound to check out why I have been having this cramping.

She thinks the palpitations might be from a thyroid condition or anemia or something. We'll see how these new labs have come out. She said all the other tests including the abdominal & pelvic CT scan, only related to stones (stone protocol) & there is a lot yet to consider. She thinks if nothing shows up on the X-rays or lab results, she might want me to have a full abdominal CT scan done. She was concerned about the weight loss, I think. She was very thorough & I was glad about that. I forgot to ask for more pain meds, so I had to call when I got home. I hope they give me more.... I can't tolerate it without!

What does the protein in urine mean?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

It's not thyroid. Not anemia. Also, when she dipped my urine she said there were WBCs & Protein but when she sent off my urine & it came back the nurse said no WBCs or Protein?!? That is confusing... I would love if someone could explain that....

I did get more pain meds... thank goodness.... I have an appointment for ultrasound on Wednesday but my brother was just diagnosed with metastic pancreatic cancer so things are crazy right now. I may need to put my own health issues on hold for a little while... I don't think they are serious anyway...

Old 08-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I did go for my ultrasound. Still waiting to hear the results. I will post when I know more!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Well! I had my appointment today. Still don't know crap. Ugh. They found a 2.5 CM cyst on my left ovary, but she said that would not cause my rib/flank pain, micro. hematuria, weight loss, etc. She said they normally pop or go away on their own so they will just watch it & have another ultrasound in 3 months. But because of the other symptoms, she is having me do a pelvic & abdominal CT scan with contrast & without. She gave me a new script for Norco (7.5/325) since I am taking so much of the vicodin (5/500) & all that tylenol with it is bad for your liver. She wants a bone scan because she said I could have a stress fracture & that wouldn't show up on the x-ray. She doesn't think the flank pain is my kidney because you barely touch it or lean back on it & it hurts. But it doesn't hurt when I take a deep breath. She said you really have to pound on your back to get the kidney to hurt. She felt my abdomen & said the spleen doesn't feel enlarged but it is in that area that is tender, I guess, or something like that. Still blood in the urine, she said the last test either the dip was a false positive or the person on the microscope just didn't see the tiny cells. So she sent it to the lab. She also was testing my urine for cancer, I can't remember what that test was called... I was there for about an hour. I really thought I would have this all figured out today, but no luck. I barely got out of the pharmacy after the appointment & I got a call on my cell from the doctor's office telling me of my CT scan tomorrow! I guess they wanted it done right away. The bone scan will be done next week. She said if nothing shows up they will want an MRI. But I have spent so much $ since I don't have insurance that I don't know if I will do an MRI. The CT scan should prove to my parents that I don't have cancer, and then they will feel better. From what I understand the MRI will show soft tissues & swelling & muscle issues. If that's what my problem is, I will just let whatever heal & deal with the pain, so I won't spend the $ on a MRI.

I'm trying to think of what else.... Hmmm... No leukemia. No Diabetes. No anemia. Thyroid was fine. X-rays were fine. So, I am still trying to figure it all out...

Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Can an ovarian cyst make peeing less frequent?

Closed Thread