It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

indigogirls HB User
Exclamation At least 2 UTIs a month - please help!

I am a 20 year old female and I have had this problem for a long time now. I started getting UTIs when I first started having intercourse, which was about five years ago. I have noticed everytime I have felt like I was getting a UTI or I had one, it was because I had intercourse. Due to the frequency of the UTIs, I have been tested for STDs numerous and numerous of times. Everything was negative and always positive for a UTI. I have also been with the same person for 4 years so there is no way I have an STD.

I am getting very upset over this problem. I have seen many doctors who want to run bloodwork, etc, everything turns out fine. I saw a urologist a while back who wanted to insert a camera and take a look but the thought of that made me very uncomfortable so I declined.

I don't know what to do anymore. My doctor gave me amoxicillin to take after sex to prevent a UTI or to take when I feel like one is coming on. So I take that. I'm just afraid of the long term effect this is going to have on me. There is no way to say that this is not taking a toll on my body in one way or another, especially long term . . I currently have a UTI and it is pretty awful. Normally I take the amoxicillin and it i gone or relieves symptoms within 24 hours, except right now it's been 2 days or so and still painful. A little better, but after urinating, it hurts and feels like I have a strange pressure on my bladder, and of course the feeling of having to pee again right after doing so.

I'm going to continue taking the Amoxicillin, but since I can't get a hold of the doctor today, I am wondering anyone who has taken it before, do you take it twice a day or once a day, 500 mgs? He didn't specify on the bottle since he intended I take one dose when I feel it coming and it should rid of it, but I got this one pretty strong.

A lot of other antibiotics I have had also, including Bactrim, I was allergic to. Is there anything anyone can do to help me? I just don't want to screw up my health, and this is something pretty chronic. And also it would be very helpful if someone could answer the penicillin question?

Thank you in advance! take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
(female)

coty HB User
Re: At least 2 UTIs a month - please help!

I am sorry, it sucks so bad...

You have to urinate and clean yourself after having intercourse, which I'mpretty sure you do already. Drinking cranberry juice right after can help you.

Do not disestimate the cystoscopy, it could help you to get over this for good.

Also, I had ureaplasma, which is a bacteria that lives in your urogenital tract and it's present in a lot of people, but most of them don't carry symptoms, and I was more prone to UTIs. After I got rid of it I went back to normal.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

indigogirls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coty View Post
I am sorry, it sucks so bad...

You have to urinate and clean yourself after having intercourse, which I'mpretty sure you do already. Drinking cranberry juice right after can help you.

Do not disestimate the cystoscopy, it could help you to get over this for good.

Also, I had ureaplasma, which is a bacteria that lives in your urogenital tract and it's present in a lot of people, but most of them don't carry symptoms, and I was more prone to UTIs. After I got rid of it I went back to normal.

How did you find out you had this ureaplasma? Do they know when they take a culture for your uti? I'm just not sure what to have my doctor test for . .

Old 08-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

coty HB User

I had to really insist because doctors would keep talking about cleaning my butt right. So be ready to push if you need to. Ask for a test for ureaplasma/mycoplasma.

You can read some more about it here:
[url]http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2340.htm[/url]

They take a little smear from your urethra and they grow it. It's a slow growing bug so it will take about 7-10 days to have your results back. It is not nearly as painful as I thought, just annoying.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
(female)

jnite HB User

I am in pretty much the same boat as you are. I get one usually once a month. Aug 1 I went and got a cytoplasty, didn't tell me much except that i had huge infection with e.coli. He put me on doxyfloxacin? and it went away but here we go again. I haven't heard back from my urologist yet but my family doc put me on norfloxacin until I hear back from my urologist.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
(female)

em_53 HB User

Hi, I had a bad uti a while ago and i took amoxicillin also, (just once a day) and it cleared it up. what may be happening is that the infection may be becoming resistant to penecillin which is why the pain is still there this time. I've found that blackmores cranberry tablets (more concentrated than the juice) really help to clear up and prevent uti's, and also "ethical nutrients: urinary tract support" are amazing, and better for you than antibiotics. You should be able to get them at the supermarket or pharmacy. Hope this was helpful, feel better soon.

Closed Thread