It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

SheaUSMC HB User
Question Duplicate Collection System?

My daughter has had several UTI's recently. Her GP sent her for a renal ultrasound. They have now referred her to a Pediatric Urologist, saying that it appears she may have a "Duplicate Collection System." Can someone tell me what that means? Any info would be appreciated, I have been unable to speak with the Dr thus far, and am unable to locate any info on the net. Thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
(female)

cbb1981 HB User
Re: Duplicate Collection System?

You didn't say how old your daughter was. I found out last year that I have a duplicate collection system also. My unique situation (I have three kidneys and each kidney has double ureters) was discovered because (unbeknownst) to me I had blood in my urine and the dr sent me for further testing. They never found the cause of the blood in the urine. I orignially went to the dr. because of frequent bathroom trips and still to this day no one has been able to help me. I've tried all the different OAB meds and had to stop them because I have glaucoma. By the way, I'm 44.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

celticfan HB User

my daughter was dx with a duplex collection system at 8 mo. she also had a ureterocele which caused the urine to back up into the ureter and eventually killed off 1/2 her right kidney. at 10 mo she had surgery to remove half of her kidney, and then they wanted to see if the duplex collection system would correct itself. it didnt, so she had it taken care of at 3 yrs old. fast forward to now, she's 14 and everything is fine. i'll never be fine i was traumatized, she handled it well. the tests were the hardest part.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
(female)

ucantcme HB User

I am 41 years old and I have a duplicate collection system on my right kidney. I was sent to a renal specialilst for high blood pressure about ten years ago and he found the abnormality. He said to just keep it in my memory in case I start to have repeating UTI's and if I do, it may be caused by wastes/urine backing up into the extra tube. He said I can have a simple surgery to remove the extra tube if it becomes a problem. My doctor also told me that it is not infrequent for people to have this. It just goes undetected until a problem happens. I am now having a lot of blood and protein in my urine and other problems so I am getting further tests.

Anyhow, don't let it panic you too much right away. I know it is hard not to panic when it involves your child but if this is found early and it is the problem, it may be easily fixable.

Closed Thread