It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
(male)

logmgr HB User
Blood in urine

I began having blood in my urine over a week ago. I went to the MD and he ran a urine test which showed red blood cells TNTC and elevated white cells and bacteria.

He gave me Cipro as an anti biotic and scheduled a CT scan.

The CT scan showed a 8mm stone in in the left kidney and two additional stones,one less than 1mm, one at 2mm, on the collecting system.(one on each kidney). The report noted that these stones were not causing any problem at this time.

The scan also showed colon diverticulosis with no evidence of diverticulitis.

The scan also showed mild atherosclerotic aortic wall calcification

The scan also showed in the without contrast scan a few low density liver lesions consistant with cysts;these lesions on the scan with contrast did not enhance and were consistant with cysts;otherwise the liver was normal.

The spleen,pancreas,adrenal glands,bladder,prostate were normal on the with contrast scan.

The without contrast scan showed no stones in the bladder or ureters.

I went back to the MD a week after the initial visit and urine still had red blood cells TNTC, but no longer elevated white cell count or bacteria present.

The MD is sending me to a urologist with a note to check for liver cysts.

The anti biotic did not stop the blood in the urine; it may be clear once in a while but the blood is still there,however, it is not near as much as it was at the onset. It had been dark like coffee, now it is much lighter.

My concern is with the blood in the urine and the liver cyst issues (they did not say what type of lesions/cysts.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Saw the Urology doctor.....he said not to worry about the cysts on the liver, no problem.

But he suspects the blood in urine was from the 8mm stone even though I had no pain. (it is in the left renal pelvis.)

Anyway he wants to do the lithotripsy thing where they blast the stone with sound waves to break it up, and a bladder exam with a cystoscope at the same time.

Is this a good thing to have done and does anyone know the recovery period ? He said a week but that seems long to me for out patient treatment.

Any info will be appreciated.

Last edited by logmgr; 11-14-2007 at 04:34 AM. Reason: update

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
(female)

tanny24 HB User
Re: Blood in urine

Quote:
Originally Posted by logmgr View Post
I began having blood in my urine over a week ago. I went to the MD and he ran a urine test which showed red blood cells TNTC and elevated white cells and bacteria.

He gave me Cipro as an anti biotic and scheduled a CT scan.

The CT scan showed a 8mm stone in in the left kidney and two additional stones,one less than 1mm, one at 2mm, on the collecting system.(one on each kidney). The report noted that these stones were not causing any problem at this time.

The scan also showed colon diverticulosis with no evidence of diverticulitis.

The scan also showed mild atherosclerotic aortic wall calcification

The scan also showed in the without contrast scan a few low density liver lesions consistant with cysts;these lesions on the scan with contrast did not enhance and were consistant with cysts;otherwise the liver was normal.

The spleen,pancreas,adrenal glands,bladder,prostate were normal on the with contrast scan.

The without contrast scan showed no stones in the bladder or ureters.

I went back to the MD a week after the initial visit and urine still had red blood cells TNTC, but no longer elevated white cell count or bacteria present.

The MD is sending me to a urologist with a note to check for liver cysts.

The anti biotic did not stop the blood in the urine; it may be clear once in a while but the blood is still there,however, it is not near as much as it was at the onset. It had been dark like coffee, now it is much lighter.

My concern is with the blood in the urine and the liver cyst issues (they did not say what type of lesions/cysts.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Saw the Urology doctor.....he said not to worry about the cysts on the liver, no problem.

But he suspects the blood in urine was from the 8mm stone even though I had no pain. (it is in the left renal pelvis.)

Anyway he wants to do the lithotripsy thing where they blast the stone with sound waves to break it up, and a bladder exam with a cystoscope at the same time.

Is this a good thing to have done and does anyone know the recovery period ? He said a week but that seems long to me for out patient treatment.

Any info will be appreciated.
my daughter had an 11mm and 14 mm stone in her right renal pelvis. we were told they were too large to have lithrotripsy done. we had to have surgery. the urologist was only able to remove the larger stone. we go back next week to see what we are going to do about the 11mm stone. i have heard litho is painful and anything over a 4mm stone will usually require several attempts.good luck to you.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
(male)

logmgr HB User

Thanks for the reply.
I have decided against having the lithotripsy done.
Good luck with the 11mm your daughter has.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I've had several Lithotripsy's and only had post surgical pain for a couple of days afterwards. After the surgery, I was nauseous and my back hurt. Also, I had a problem with trapped gas for several weeks afterwards. That finally went away. The Lithotripsy I had in July was for a 7 mm stone. I've never had to have a repeat Lithotripsy for any of my stones.

Closed Thread