It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
(female)

skipa dee babe HB User
Problem urine test clean but i have symptoms of uti help

Hi,
My urine test came back showing no infection but i was having all the symptoms of a urine infection , my culture hasn't come back yet so what could be going on ? Please help i'm very upset now.
Skipa

Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frb1591 HB User
Re: Problem urine test clean but i have symptoms of uti help

Hi Skipa,

Sorry to hear of your problem....I know how bad it hurts. I've been going through the same thing since June. Just got back from a cystoscope as my urogynecologist wanted to check for a bladder tumor as I've smoked for some time. The bladder was clear. The next step is a PST (potasium sensitivity test) to check for interstitial cystitis which is a chronic bladder inflamatory condition which is very, very painful. Sometimes it just takes a while for the bladder to settle down after an infection. However, if it persists, you might want to explore the possibility of interstitial cystitis.

IC is my tentative diagnosis. I've been doing a lot of research in my particular case as I have known disc problems in the lower back that I believe is connected to my IC.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

skipa dee babe HB User

Hi,
Oh thank goodness someone answered , so has this happened to you ? A clean test but still have the uti symptoms ? Doc thinks it maybe a yeast infection but that's doesn't seem possible that it would feel like a uti would it ? THe scope is that painful , do they put you to sleep ? Of and is there anything that can help with the pain of my bladder when trying to sleep ?
Thanks Skipa

Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

frb1591 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipa dee babe View Post
Hi,
Oh thank goodness someone answered , so has this happened to you ? A clean test but still have the uti symptoms ? Doc thinks it maybe a yeast infection but that's doesn't seem possible that it would feel like a uti would it ? THe scope is that painful , do they put you to sleep ? Of and is there anything that can help with the pain of my bladder when trying to sleep ?
Thanks Skipa
Skipa,

Had bad bladder infection June 5 (1st one I've had in 30 years). After one round of the sulphur antibiodic, urine sample was negative. The next day, symptoms returned. Had a refill on the sulpher. After the second round, went back to my GP and he did another urine sample...still clear, but gave me doxiclycline to make sure to get any remaining infection, if any. To make a long story short, I've been through excruciating bladder pain since then. My first day of relief was 9-15-07. But it came back the next day. Since then, it's been off and on....about 3 bad days, a couple of good days, 2 bad days...etc.

I made an appointment with an urologist who catherized the bladder a couple of times and instilled a "bladder cocktail" that didn't do any good. I've tried Flomax (I'm female, but they use it for us too.), uraltrax, vesicare, etc... but the only one I find does any good at all is enablex....and it's not very much good!

In my case Lyrica (which is normally prescribed for diabetic neuropathy and fibromalgia) does the most good and allows me to sleep at night. It doesn't completely relieve the pain but makes it tolerable. Lyrica tends to make you dizzy and feel spaced out a little but is wonderful to get some type of relief.

Everyone is different when it comes to medicines for the bladder....it probably will be a "try this, then try that" type of thing if your pain persists.

The cystoscope itself wasn't that bad. The type I had was done in an office with local anesthesia. The doc told me he was concerned about bladder cancer (in my particular case) foremost and wanted to rule that out. If the PST test is negative next week, then I will have another cystoscope with general anesthesia where they distend the bladder to capacity and look for the signs of IC. They do this under a general anesthesia because it is very painful. After you have been through endless bladder pain, you really are ready to try anything to get to the bottom of the problem, even if the procedure is uncomfortable or painful.

I hope I didn't scare you bringing up IC...it may just be that your bladder is irritated from your infection and will calm down. Oh, and you did ask about a yeast infection...doesn't sound like one to me, but there again, I'm far from being a doctor.

Holler if you have any other questions. I hope you can get some sleep. Sleep is about the only thing I find that gives me a few hours of relief the following morning...but like you implied, it's hard to sleep with the pain.

Take care,
Cathy

Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

frb1591 HB User

Hey Again Skipa,

In the "for what it's worth department":

Just read a couple of your earlier posts about your problem and you described it as urethra pain. After reading that, it reminded me that when the problem first started I described it to my GP as a constant urethra spasm.

Cathy

Last edited by frb1591; 12-05-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
(female)

skipa dee babe HB User

Hi cathy,
Thanks for all the posts ,so have the ruled out cancer with you ? Wouldn't there be any blood in the urine ? Or they cannot tell by a urine test ? Doc did a pelvic and pushed on my bladder and it really hurt . He's sending me for a utra sound have you had one of those done .. I smoke too and it's in the back of my mind , tylenol seems to kill the pain for me . I thought cancer of the bladder was mostly in older men ? You are so nice to talk to about this and i feel sorry that we have to suffer . Please let me know how your tests are , by the way how do you deal with the thoughts it might be that do you get scared as heck ?
Skipa

Old 12-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

frb1591 HB User

Hi Skipa,

Cancer was ruled out by my cystoscope yesterday. Hate to sound nonchalant about cancer, but husband's bladder tumor several years ago was found by accident and was dealt with and he is fine, so although I guess I should have been worried, I really wasn't....just trying to find a cause for all of the pain and am at the point that WHATEVER it is, let's just deal with it and make it stop!

After the cysto yesterday, my urogynecologist said that cancer was what he was concerned about with my smoking history. He also told me on my first visit that for him to be able to treat my condition which may be IC, I would have to stop smoking. I already had a prescription for chantex and intend on starting it in a few days, but the 2 individuals that I know personally with IC do NOT smoke and never have. Docs tend to blame EVERYTHING on smoking, but that's not always the case. I had a friend with a 6 month old who had bladder cancer and, of course, the baby (nor the parents) ever smoked.

Several adult individuals that I have known of with either bladder or kidney cancer were men, but it is possible in women. Four of the individuals had no symptoms whatsoever and the other two had visible blood upon urination. And there again, all individuals are totally health today which adds to my "nonchalant" state of mind when thinking about possible bladder cancer.

I did have an ultra sound of the bladder on the first visit with my original urologist. It was just the type that showed the amount of urine in the bladder though. Sounds like you'll be getting a different type than mine which should be more diagnostic.

Tylenol for pain for me was like eating candy...did no good whatsoever. So if tylenol is controling your pain, my first thought would be possibly a lingering infection. If I'm right, let me know and I'll send you a bill!

I had an abdomen/pelvic CT scan run today for "rule-out" possibilities and will get the results tomorrow. Then off Monday for the potassium sensitivity test in the morning and to talk to an orthopedic surgeon about the compressed nerves in the back in the afternoon. I found a study done in Britain whereby 9 out of 10 patients with IC symptoms were cured after the decompression of the same nerves that are screwed up in my back.

Take care and let me know how your ultra sound comes out. The nurse putting the iv in for the CT this morning looked at me crazy when I told her I hope they do find something on the CT. Guess she's never had this horrendous pain for so long!

Cathy

Closed Thread