It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

effervescent HB User
Incomplete Urination after UTI, negative cultures - help!

Hi everyone,
I had a UTI for about 2 and a half weeks before going to the doctor, it started off with hesitancy before going to the bathroom, then that went away and I had frequent urination (one morning I was urinating practically every half hour), then that went away and I had stabbing pains around my bladder..which also went away and I got kidney pain..etc. When I eventually went to the doctor, she did a culture and it came back positive, so I was treated with a strong course of Cipro (10 days).
Well my symptoms went away after I had been on Cipro for a few days I think, but then when I finished the course of Cipro I noticed this new symptom, a feeling of incomplete urination. I would sit and sit on the toilet after urinating, and if I waited 10 mins maybe a little more would dribble out. Sometimes waiting did nothing so I would stand up after urinating, and I could feel the need to urinate more most obviously when I stood up right after urinating.
Well the whole 10 days I was on Cipro I drank cranberry juice (still drinking it), and lots of water. I went back to the doctor about 2 days after finishing the Cipro since she wanted a followup culture anyway because I'd had an infection for such a long time, and the followup test was negative for bacteria.
Then I waited another 4 or 5 days and went back to the doctor again, told her about the feeling of incomplete urination, so she scheduled another culture/microscopic examination of the urine, which was, again, negative. She said the only other thing it could be would be some sort of bladder spasm or defect with the bladder that I would have to go to a urologist for, but I can't do that because I don't have insurance and I don't have any money, so I've basically decided to pretty much wait another 6 months until I move back to Canada (I will have insurance there, I think).
Does anybody here have any ideas or recommendations? I'm 18 years old, never had a UTI before, and pretty healthy otherwise. Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
(female)

leslie84 HB User
Re: Incomplete Urination after UTI, negative cultures - help!

I have had something kinda like this after a UTI and still do. I had a UTI and went to my GP. She perscribed Cipro and did a culture to make sure the bacteria was sensitive to it as well. Well I took the Cipro for 5 or 7 days (like I was told) and it did not go away. So my GP perscribed something else, I'm not sure of the name. Well it went away after I was done taking the new medicine. But then I started getting other symptoms like when I would go to the bathroom I would feel like I had to pee again. If I did go it would be a very little bit and very clear...like only water. If I held it it would go away. If I drink coffee it burns when I urinate so I cannot drink coffee. But I am still worried becuase I never had this before. I actually have an Appt. to have a renal Ultrasound done for my kindeys and bladder and also a cystoscopy ( a camera sent into my bladder and urethra). Hopefully something not serious is found so I can get back to normal. I wish you the luck, I know how stressfull it is. I will let you know if they find anything. Good luck

Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
(female)

cslynn1964 HB User
Re: Incomplete Urination after UTI, negative cultures - help!

Efferfescent, I've had this exact same thing happen to me. did you ever figure out what to do? How are you now?

Last edited by cslynn1964; 07-12-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Closed Thread