It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User
TURP Recovery

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the burning sensation (when urinating) to subside after having TURP surgery? I had the surgery two weeks ago, and the painful urination has subsided somewhat, but I'm curious to know
how long it takes to completely go away.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
(male)

LENNYI HB UserLENNYI HB User
Re: TURP Recovery

LCM

Are you taking pyridium? I was on it for a long period of time - I started cutting the dose after 3 or 4 weeks. You kind of forget some of the details as time goes by. From what you have said, you seem to be doing really well. Remember what I told you - it takes a lot longer than they tell you. Give me a progress report so I can get up to speed and give you good information. I couldn't get on the board for a while, but I'm back !

I also had a bladder issue from not getting this taken care of sooner so I had a long hard recovery period - it seems like I'm still paying my dues <G>.
I'm on an antibiotic for UTI right now - can't seem to catch a break.

Lenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Lenny,
Glad to see you back on the board! I'm not taking Pyridium; I'm taking another one which is supposed to be as good. (It makes the urine blue rather than orange.)
I haven't passed any scabs yet. Doc says some people don't pass scabs (maybe their system absorbs them?). You say it's painless though, and that is reassuring.
I had a super stream right after the catheter was removed. The doctor said that was due to to the dialation caused by the large 3-way catheter. It has now subsided somewhat, but still better than before the procedure though. Did you experience anything like that?
Also, I'm still having to urinate every couple of hours at night. Daytime symptoms have improved though. Does that sound familiar based on your experience?
At any rate, thanks for the reply. I looking forward to reading your next post.
LCM

Last edited by lcmfrom nc; 02-20-2008 at 02:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcmfrom nc For This Useful Post:
Nelpat (03-26-2011)
Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
(male)

LCM

You might not have the scabs that I had due to you not having a lot of work done up there. They notched mine so I passed quite a few. I'm only telling you this so you won't freak out if you pass some. Remember - no pain involved.
I had more of an urgency problem during the day - I looked forward to the nights because I rested much better. I think I also had a touch of IC because my bladder hurt much of the time and still does.
This procedure and recovery is a big mind thing. You constantly worry about everything - after reading and talking to a lot of people, it seems to go with the condition. I'm at the one year mark and still not feeling as good as I would like, but the focusing on the discomforts has a lot to do with some of the problems.
I went through all kinds of tests and pills before finally seeing my present doctor who really addressed all my issues and did the TURP and bladder neck incision. I had my TURP done may 17th and bladder incision August 31st. Going up the urethra really does a number on the nerves in that area. That is what takes the recovery period to take so long. The younger you are, the longer it takes for the nerves to settle down. I'm 59 and I was told I was young so use that as a gage.
My stream settled down, too. It's all according to how much you are drinking. You won't pass a lot if you are going every two hours. Some times a good stream and other times not so good. Try to stay relaxed - you're only two weeks along and I think doing really well.
I hope this helps you out a little. I'll be checking for your posts - I know how important it is to hear from someone who has gone through it to ease your mind. A real important factor is that you didn't have much of a TURP done so you should do a little better than the rest of us and your recovery period might be much shorter. I'll try to help you out as best I can!

Lenny

Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Lenny,
Good afternoon. I clicked onto our thread and saw that you were online. How's the UTI? Hopefully you're improving rapidly.
I've got my first follow-up appointment (Post-surgery) with the doctor on Monday. I'm composing a list of questions and things to bring to his attention.
Have a pleasant afternoon. See you on the board.
LCM

Old 02-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
(male)

LCM

I'm doing a lot better - at least the burning has gone! I think most of my problems stem from not being active. I wish I could take a long walk every day like I use to. The real key is to keep your mind focused on anything other than peeing <G>. I know that you can relate to that <G>.
Good luck Monday - that must be some list! You try and take it easy. How did you know I was on line? I thought I was computer savvy, I must be two steps behind <G>. Talk to you later!

Lenny

Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
(male)

Lightbulb Re: TURP Recovery

LCM

Hey, I just figured out the on line question - I feel dumb<G>

Lenny

Old 02-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Yep, the little blue dot beside your name turns green when you're online.
Talk to you later.
LCM

Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Lenny,
Hope you are feeling well today. I have another symptom which I'm wondering if you have also experienced. After the catheter was removed I noticed that the tip of my penis was very sensitive. Not just the urethral opening, but the area all around it. I thought at first it might just be irritation as a result of having the catheter in for four days, but it has continued. Then I read that this same symptom can be prostatitis related. That sort of makes sense. Having the TURP procedure is enough by itself to cause prostatitis (one would think). It's tolerable but annoying, and I wondered if you could comment on that. I've had prostatitis a few times before, but it never included that particular symptom.
You mentioned that a person's age has a direct bearing on the healing process. I'm 61, so if you're relatively young for TURP recovery at 59, then I'm probably in the same boat.
Communicating with someone who has been through this stuff is a big help. Thanks for taking time to post.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
(male)

LCM

Yeah, all these little annoyances are related to both the TURP and prostatitis. I had the procedure done twice so I have a while before my bladder and internal workings settle down. My biggest problem is the bladder - takes a long time for the bladder to settle down.
I think you are doing really well for such a short period of time. You will recover a lot faster than I am. I'm trying not to give you anything to get nervous about, but I will tell you straight up anything you really want to know about. That is why I tell you to ask questions about anything that concerns you and I'll tell you about my situation.
Try not to think about all these little pains - they will pass when you start healing. Again, you didn't have much work done in the TURP department so you should bypass a lot of these setbacks. Are you still working or retired? I retired early (55) and sometimes I think it was a mistake because you just have too much time to focus on the bad things.Hope this helps you a little!

Lenny

Old 02-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Lenny,
Thanks for the reply. Well, at least I know that I'm not unique with that symptom.
I still work. I drive a tanker truck (transporting industrial chemicals), but I've been staying at home for a good while now. The abbreviated version goes something like this:
Back in early October I developed burning bladder symtoms that resembled IC. The urologist determined that my bladder was becoming inflamed due to BPH and the problems associated with it. I went through the usual battery of testing, (i.e, cystoscopy, uroflow, prostate sonography etc.), and finally was scheduled for a TUMT procedure on Dec 21. I was unable to tolerate the (unbearable) heat during the TUMT, so the procedure was aborted only minutes after it began. The only thing I got out of that was a royal case of prostatitis. Then they did the TUIP/TURP on Feb 7. The doctor said that my problem stemmed as much from the positioning of the prostate as from enlargement. and for that reason, he held out on TURP until it became the clear choice.
I'm getting a touch of cabin fever here. I'd love to go back to work. I can start getting my social security benefits in August if choose to do so. My wife works for the state, and I'm on her health insurance, which covered most of my medical expenses. ..very good health insurance. Were it not for good health insurance, we would be in financial ruin. This littlle sabbatical is taking a bite out of my savings though, but hey, that's what it's for.
Our 9 year old granddaughter is spending this weekend with us. She will keep
the mood light around here, and I won't be dwelling on this so much. Actually I shouldn't complain because things could be much worse. People (including me) tend to focus on their own problems.
Post often and take care.
LCM

Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
(male)

Smile Re: TURP Recovery

LCM

Hey, your history sure does come close to mine. I'm happy to talk to someone close to my situation. I had some good improvement with the Colostrum and serrapeptase. The serrapeptase is suppose to clear out the gunk in the arteries/Prostate and the colostrum is suppose to help heal the bladder lining. I learned about both from researching IC. I have to be carefully not to get myself banned again <G>. Have to stay within the posting rules. Actually, you are helping me out as much as I will you. You tend to learn more when communicating about your condition. After your follow up doctor visit I'll touch on some other things. Make sure you give me the details of that visit so I'll know what or not to say. I'm trying not to say anything that might make you nervous so if I say something that makes you edgy, let me know. Enjoy the granddaughter visit.
My son had a baby girl last March and I still haven't seen her. I save the money for their trip and the next thing you know, they need money for something else. They already tapped me for this year's trip. I'm originally from NJ and moved to MS in 99 after divorcing. I lived about 10 miles from Giant Stadium and had season tickets for the Jets. I had seats on the 45 yard line - row 8. It was like being on the field. My son and I went to all the games back then. The only problem was the Jets stunk at that time. Naturally I married again down here and I like the south so much better. I spent 3 years in Ramstein Germany and then at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base just before I was discharged in 1971. NC is a funny State - snow and all<G>. I still don't miss the harsh winter weather in the North - if I never see snow again, it will be fine with me. It's Spring time down here - tomorrow will be 70 degrees.
Looking forward to putting the boat in the water. Last year was a real bummer - hoping that I do much better this year.
At least I can tell you how long things really take to get better!
Have a good day. I'm enjoying this chat - sure is nice to talk to someone in the same situation. I took some colostrum during the night and it seems to have really helped so far today. Another two days on the antibiotic - it really messes up my stomach, but you got to suffer to get better <G>.

Lenny

Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Lenny,
I am also ex-military; I gave 'em 8 years in the Army. ...Canal Zone, California, Korea, Japan, and gave it up in Virginia in 1971. I was in a part of the Army which is 95&#37; overseas, which was OK. Much better duty.
In recent years I had a management type job which took me all over the US. I'm familiar with Giant Stadium. I used to stay at a hotel in S. Hackensack when I was working in Teterboro. ..used to go out to eat at a place in Secaucus. I still have a good friend living in Saddle Brook.
I also did some project implementation work down at Cranbury (Exit 8-A) for a few months, and then up to Orangeburg, NY for awhile.

What is Colostrum and how does it work? I might try it. (Careful, don't name a commercial source!) Lately I have good days and some not so good. I guess fluctuation during the healing process is to be expected.
I might ask the doctor about pyridium to see if it's as good or better than what I'm taking now. Talk to you later.
..LCM

Last edited by lcmfrom nc; 02-22-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
(male)

LCM

Hey, small world - Lived in Lodi, NJ for most of my life, then moved to Wood-Ridge. Most of my family lives in that area. I was a delivery supervisor at the Lodi Post Office till moving to MS. I ended up working in a branch of the Jackson Post Office (Lefleur Station). I took over the clerks my last two years and had the main stock and a Postal Store. That was interesting doing the finances. I put in 38 years in the PO, all but three in Delivery. I know Bergen County like the back of my hand. I use to go hunting behind Teterboro Airport before they banned it. Did a lot of crabbing in Seacaucus before it got contaminated. I was a jet mechanic - worked on the Phantom F-4 for 4 years. I had a run license so I use to crank those things up and test the engines after maintenance. That was a thrill. I use to throw them in full afterburner and burn everything behind me for a hundred yards. Of course we had the tail hook anchored for that.
Colostrum is the milk from the first milking - usually first 12 hours after giving birth. It is suppose to have all the antibodies and nutrients that a new born needs. Check it out - you never know what will help you out. I saw an increase in the amount of time between trips to the bathroom after using it. I found it while researching IC and thought part of my problem was the bladder. The people with IC claim that it helps heal the lining of the bladder. Your story sounds a lot like mine - do some research on it.
You seem to have done quite a bit of traveling. Too bad this board is anonymous!!

Have a good night - keeping your mind occupied and trying not to get stressed is what really helps the most!

Lenny

Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
(male)

lcmfrom nc HB User

Hey Len,

Hope you're feeling well today. I'm about the same. ...dealing with some burining when I urinate. Other than that, I feel pretty good. If I could shake the burning I'd be in good shape.

That's cool stuff with the F-4 Phantoms. I was near Kimpo Airbase in Korea and they had a lot of those there. I was in EOD (Explosives Ordinance Disposal) and later I got another (Safer) specialty.

I've got that appointment with the urologist tomorrow at Nine. I'll talk to you later.

LCM

Last edited by lcmfrom nc; 02-24-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Closed Thread