It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
(female)

snl85 HB User
pyridium + sulfa allergy??

I suffer from chronic uti's and have never been prescribed pyridium or anything of that sort by my primary dr. This last December when in pain and discomfort from yet another one, my boss only gave me the time off one day to run to the local walk-in clinic. (bad idea.) Not only was I met by unprofessionalism by this dr. but he prescribed me pyridium as I sat there and stressed I had a severe allergy to sulfa drugs and had to be careful of the antibiotics. He assured me that I could take it (I know it's not an antibiotic but my concern was that I've never been prescribed it and it's rather common) That evening after taking it I was in the ER going into anaphalactic shock. I knew it wasn't the antibiotic because cipro is the one I always take for uti's. Upon recovery I started researching pyridium and, yes, I should have done this before taking it but I took a medical professional's word. Well, emedicine.com and Ostergard's Urogynecology book both said to avoid prescribing pyridium if the patient has a sulfa allergy. I notified the drs at the walk-in clinic of everything in hopes that no one else got stuck in my situation and incuring thousands of dollars in medical bills. They stand by their word by there being no link between pyridium and a sulfa allergy. I'm so confused in this matter and wonder if anyone else has heard of this happening. I'm reading it in a prominent urology book! And in hindsight I should have seen "pyridium" -> "pyrite" -> "sulfur" Quite frankly I've lost all faith in doctors' word and want to know if there is a definite link between the two. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread