It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
(male)

Bigdaddy1 HB User
Unhappy Adult Male Wetting the Bed

A couple of weeks ago, I got out of my car to go into the house and I had a quick urgent urge to urinate. I didn't make it to the bathroom and wet all over myself. A day or so later, I awakened to find myself soaking wet in the bed without any memory of this happening. This week I fell asleep on the sofa watching television and found myself and the sofa soaking wet when I woke up. I am a 60 year old male and have never had this happen to me. I didn't wet the bed as a child. In January I had Transureathal Microwave Therapy for enlarged prostate. I have spoken to my urologist and he said I had just gone into a sleep so deep that I didn't wake up. As I said, this never happened to me before and I am doing nothing differently. I am also have a low back pain and wondering if this could have something to do with it. Has anyone else out there had a similar experience? I'm really worried. The urologist did give me Enablex yesterday. It has dried my mouth out and made me feel a bit dizzy when I woke up this morning.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: Adult Male Wetting the Bed

BigDaddy,

I would recomend you seek a SECOND opinion for what your going through now. THe fact your Urologist is blaming you being in a "deep sleep" is an, interesting thought, given the fact you WERE'NT sleeping while you were walking from your car! I just did a quick search on this subject, and it stated that a side effect to the procedure is frequent urge incontinence can happen for several days to "weeks" requiring a foley catheter post op. THe fact its been two months since surgery I believe you should be RE-evaluated for these new symptoms.
So if I have this right, the urge incontenence your having now is NEW since surgery, or new since the last few days? Either way the fact the Urologist didnt exam you and just suggested you were in a deep sleep, causing this, I find that hard to swallow.
You having new back pain could very well be contributing to this, it may be a sign of an infection, or something else going on.
I sure hope you find some answers soon!

Take care, and GOd bless,
Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
(male)

Bigdaddy1 HB User

This all started about two weeks ago. I have no way to know if this has anything to do with the procedure, but this is awful. The second episode happened on our sofa and ruined it. I don't want our house to smell like a nursing home.

Thanks for answering.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Bigdaddy,

Please dont beat yourself up for something YOU have NO CONTROL over! It's obvious to me that something has changed in the last couple weeks. And In MY opinion NEEDS to be evaluated, if you have no relief of symptoms after trying these meds the Urologist has given you, I highly recomend getting things checked again!
My Urological history started with "stress incontinence", and a bladder sling, as well as a hysterectomy was preformed. My bladder never regained function. I have been "self cathing" for 10 years now. I was 33 at the time this all happened. Thou my situation is opposit of yours, I DO understand your frustration, because I had your issue prior to sugery to an extent.
Just dont forget something, YOU diserve the BEST Medical care, The Doctors are NOT GODS, dont be afraid the question them. I learned the hard way, that only WE can be our own best advocates. If your not getting answers from your current Urologist, then seek a second opinion, thats your right.

I do wish you the best, and hope that you get the much needed help you need! Take care, and GOd bless,
Annette

Old 03-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
(male)

Bigdaddy1 HB User

Thank you for caring and understanding. My second day on this new medication is better. I'm not as dizzy and my mouth isn't as dry. I am going to call my primary physician and see if I can get a second opinion. I'm under an HMO and this group of urologists are the only ones that accept the HMO. My uroligist said he spoke to the other urologist in his practice and they said that this has never happend to them after TUMT. What kind of bothers me about it, I ran a high fever and had an infectin after the procedure and spoke to the uroligist on call fron another group. He said, before he thought about what he was saying, that his group wouldn't do a TUMT procedure as it often didn't work. I agreed to the procedure so that I could quit taking Flomax. Flomax made me so dizzy that I almost fainted when I stood up. The ironic thing is that I went through Flomax dizzines and the pain of this procedure and now I am back where I started. Slow stream and dizziness from the Enablex, not to mention the dry mouth. I'm still sleeping on a towel just in case. I wish I had chosen TURP.

Again thanks for your encouragement!

Old 03-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Bigdaddy,

I hope that your Primary care will send you to a Major Medical Facility for treatment. If I were you, I would metion that that is what you want, so you can get the best medical care.
When I went through all my bladder issues, I too had an HMO, and after playing around with the local Urologist, Who basicly told me it was all in my head, the fact I couldnt pee, and that this had NEVER happened to his patients ect...I was sent to yet another, who told me the same thing, After a YEAR of dealing with all this, I demanded to be sent somewhere to that someone would help me. It was then I was sent to a Major Medical Facility. Unfortunatly for me, it was TOO LATE. The damage was done, the sling had been too tight for too long. And they attempted twice to repair it. THe last attempt nearly cost me my life because they had hit an artery in the process, and I lost 2/3rds of my blood supply. Thats when I learned doctors arent GOD's. I was told at that point that the only other thing could be done was to close off the urethra, and make a hole in my stomach, and have a catheter put there. I told them to forget it at that point, as I said I was 33 years old. I desided that I will continue to self cath as long as I can, which as I said before has been 10 years now, and so far, no infections. I did get re-evaluated about 2 years after that episode at another Major medical facility, and they confirmed my bladder was basicly "dead", and there was nothing they could do at this point. As long as I dont start getting infections I will continue on with what Im doing now.
I just recomend that you not wait too long if you can at all help it. Just maybe a different facility can help you out. I would be leary of dealing with the current Urologist if "they have never had this happen before", thats not a good sign as far as a possible repair being done. Just my opinion of course.
I certiantly will say a pray for you that this gets taken care of quickly for you.

Annette

P.S. Believe it or not I TOO was put on flomax in the begining of my situation for Urine RETENTION! Was told that "sometimes" it helped women with retention. I thought it was interesting concidering it was designed for MEN, for enlarged prostate, Obviously it did nothing for me! I was also tried on a high blood pressure medication, because one of the side effects of it was incontinence. Obviously THAT didnt work either, the problem was the sling was TOO tight!..Good Greef!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
(male)

Bigdaddy1 HB User

I went to the GP yesterday and she told me that a recent X-ray that I had for lower back pain showed that I had bone spurs in my lower back. She is in the process of scheduling me for an MRI. I'm thinking this may have something to do with the incontinence problem. She said that the MRI would show it all. I asked about a second opinion with another urologist and she said wait until we find out the results of the MRI.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Bigdaddy,

Im happy to hear your GP is running more tests. Yes a back issue CAN effect bladder function if it is compromising the nerve to the bladder in any way. Waiting for the MRI results seems reasonable to me as long as she is sending you soon.
Hopfully this will find the answers for you and get you back to normal soon!
I wish you the best, and PLEASE let us know how you make out with your MRI.

Annette

Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
(male)

Bigdaddy1 HB User

The mri is Friday afternoon.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Bigdaddy,

Thats fantastic! You should have some answers soon..

Take care, and God bless,
Annette

Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
(male)

Bigdaddy1 HB User

The doctor's office called with the results of the MRI. She said that the MRI showed a bulge at L5,S1 or something like that. I don't know what that means. She said it showed arthritis but nothing leading to nerves. So, I'm not sure what to do.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Bigdaddy,

If I'm understanding it right is that you DO have a bulging disk, at L5, S1, but that its not impinging on any nerves.
So basicly If I'm right about that, then your Urinary issues are NOT caused by your back issues because there is no nerve involvment.
I hope your Primary care holds true to her word with sending you to a Major medical facility(which is what I would do in that situation) or at the very least send you to a different Urologist for second opinion. I would call and asked to be refered for a second opinion. Just my opinion of course.
I sure wish you the best, and hope they find the answers soon.

Annette

Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
(male)

Bigdaddy1 HB User

The report said:

Findings

There is minimal disc desiccation at the L5-S1 level with a mild disc bulge appreciated which reveals no significant asymmetry or focality, and there is mild degenerative change involving the facets. The remainder of the study is unremarkable. The signal demonstrated by the bony structures is with normal limits. The conus is unremarkable.

Impression:

Minimal disc desiccation and mild disc bulge at the L-5-S1 level with mild degenerative change involving the facets. The study is otherwise unremarkable. There is no evidence of disc extrusion or signifacant canal compromise.

That is what it said.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
(male)

Bigdaddy1 HB User

She said she would order physical therapy for me.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Bigdaddy,

Yes what I had said is what that report means, that this Disk that is bulged is NOT "compromising the canal" which means its NOT effecting the nerve to your bladder or causing your Incontinence. "Mild degenerative change" would be the arthritis she had mentioned to you. Physical theropy would be for your BACK PAIN, so it sounds like you need to REMIND her that you need a referal to a Urologist to address that issue. It sounds like she has forgotten about that? I would call her office tomorrow and leave a message for her to get a referal to a DIFFERENT Urologist. Dont feel like your bothering her, because this is YOUR health your talking about. Just my opinion of course.
DO you HAVE to have a referal, or can you make an appt yourself?
Wish you the best,
Annette

Closed Thread