It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Update- had urodynamics today

I had the urodynamics test today, and my doctor confirmed that I have mixed incontinence (stress and urge). The test wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although he had to catherize me twice as he had trouble with the first one.

He said that my bladder capacity is about half of what it should be (possibly because of scarring from the hysterectomy), and I've got bladder spasms too. Given the pain that I've had on top of the other symptoms, I was under the impression that I had either IC or another UTI. I never thought that bladder spasms could be that painful. They were so bad about a week ago I was about doubled over!

The doctor gave me a 2-week supply of a medication I never heard of - Sanctura XR, which I need to take once a day. This is for the urge incontinence, and he wants me to give him a call in a couple of weeks, after the trial supply runs out, if it's not working. At that point he may try another medication, and I might be having the "sling" surgery too.

Have any of you tried this medication??? Is it effective? Will it help with the spasms? Is the sling surgery effective too???? I'm not thrilled with the idea of being on yet another prescription and even told the doctor I would prefer to go for the surgery immediately, to get it over with, but he wasn't very happy with that idea!

Anyway, I would appreciate any input on this! Thanks!

Diana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: Update- had urodynamics today

dianajune,

Glad to hear the Doctor did find the reason for your symptoms, thats half the battle! Bladder spams are extreamly painful! I have them and they make my eyes water and nose run because of the pain!
Your bladder only having "half capasity" would explain the urge as well as stress incontinence. Your bladder must get "over full" quickly.
I think its a good idea to at least try these meds. I know its frustrating because YOUR the one dealing with the issues, but as you know with any surgery there can be complications, and the Doctor trying to avoid having to do it is wise in MY opinion. BUT certiantly IF they dont work, having the sling procedure may be the answer. I had the sling as well as hysterectomy 10 years ago for prolaps of Uterus and bladder. My story was a nightmare, BUT they did my surgery without doing any testing prior. And had two surgeries at the same time. My bladder never regained function, and I've been "self cathing" for 10 years. BUT this was a complication due to nerve damage from the hyst part of the surgery and the sling was too tight. Plus it was 10 years ago. Their technique has changed since then. What happen to me is VERY rare!
Many people have had sucess with the bladder sling. Sometimes after surgery you have to cath, or wear a catheter for a week or so after until your bladder adjusts to the sling, then there are those women who's bladder returns to good function right away and have no need to go home with a catheter.
It sounds like your Doctor is on the ball, and is doing the right thing by you. But certiantly IF these drugs dont help, the sling procedure may just be the answer. I havent looked up that drug he has you on but my guess would be its used to "Calm" the bladder down? I'll look it up.
I wish you the best, and hope everything works out well for you.
Take care, and God bless,
Annette

P.S. I looked that med up and it DOES have "anti spasmotic" properties in it, so it should get rid of the spasms as well.

Last edited by Momof2sons; 03-25-2008 at 03:44 AM.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User

Annette:

If this new medication doesn't work, he may try something else, but judging by how he's talking, I think he's willing to consider the sling surgery next. I'm not crazy about taking too many prescriptions and even joked with him about using a catheter all the time, but I don't think he appreciates my sense of humor! He said I do not need one......and with a straight face! lol

According to a brochure he gave me about the sling surgery, some kind of articificial mesh is used. I'm hoping that if this happens, that it's going to be an in and out procedure (meaning the same day). Is that how yours was done???

I'll let you know if this med works. Thanks for writing!

Diana

Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

diana,

I had a hysterectomy at the same time as the sling, so I stayed in the hospital plus it was 10 years ago. They used my own "fashia" for the sling back then. I don't believe they do that anymore, and tend to use these sinthetic ...mesh... products now. I "believe" they do the sling procedure in an "outpatient" setting now?
How long does he want you to try these meds, before he would concider other options?
Hmmm...No humor huh? That boy and I would have some trouble then...lol Oh well, as long as he's good at what he does thats the important part.
Let us know how things go.
Take care, and GOd bless,
Annette

Closed Thread