It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
(female)

izzy83 HB User
OTC treatments for uti??

Hi everyone- another uti strikes again.. sick of going to the doc for a urine test and rx- speaking of, still have to pay the $150 for my last appt and lab tests, as if i didnt already know what this was!! sheesh.. so ive been reading about treatements like uti clear or clear tract etc.. and was wondering if anyone had any success with these.. been doing the cranberry tablets, water etc. etc.. but thinking about ordering one of these and giving it a shot. wanted to get opinions on there efficacy and safety- thanks!!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: OTC treatments for uti??

They are always saying things work good and then a year or more later, they find out it's not good. they're always changing things.

I personally don't think the cranberry tabs work. I know they have to be taken on a daily basis and it takes time for it to build up in your system.

to take AWAY the uncomfortable feelings of a UTI, they have these pills that anesthitize the bladder so you don't feel like you're having one.
they're fantastic. but the only problem with these pills that turn your urine orange and ruins your under clothing so you have to wear a panty liner, they don't take away the problem, but only masks it.
so that's why they tell you to go to the dr. to get antibiotics to eradicate the infection and to keep them from coming back, there are a few things that can be done to help keep them from coming back.
they say once you get a UTI, you'll get them the rest of your life.

I remember it starting when i was in my teens and just having sex.
they say you should always urinate after having sex. plus one has to be diligent in taking care how you wipe yourself after a bowel movement.

plus woman's urinary tract is different than a male. ours is shorter and the germs from the stool has quicker access of entering the bladder vs a males urinary tract that is much longer due to their different anatomy. the urethra.

I found these few things to do very very helpful in keeping UTI's at bay.

plus, the few germs that are left near the rectum of a woman can be pushed in from the male during intercourse. even it rubs it just a minute stroke, and when he enters the vagina, it can then be pushed up and enters the urethra, which is breeding ground for uti to happen.

also I read somewhere that if you hold your urine in too long, for example, say your at work and you're right in the middle of a task and you have to go to the bathroom, yet you don't want to stop what you're doing to go to the bathroom so you hold it. then more time goes on becasue you move onto another project and before you know it, you held your urine in too long.

it's like a stagnant pond of water.. it just sits there with no movement and bacteria can build up.
oh, plus certain jobs like trucks drivers and cab drivers who have to urinate but not might be able to just pull off and go somewhere. they too get UTI's from holding it in.

I know this is pretty lengthy for just a short question you had.
I just thought this info would be of some help for you in the future.

at first they told woman to drink copious amounts of cranberry juice because there's somthing it it to help ward off the bacteria, but then years later, they NOW say, do NOT drink cranberry juice when you have a uti, because it's very acidic and can irritate the bladder further.

THIS is why I don't believe in supplements that claim it provents woman from getting uti's. You can't ever trust what they claim works.

this is from own experience.
I wouldn't wish a uti on my own enemy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread