It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

LaurenRae HB User
First UTI

I have my very first UTI at the age of 44 - not fun! I went to the Doctor last Monday and he gave me Cipro - 500 mg once a day for 5 days. By Saturday I could tell it wasn't gone and on Monday I was back to see him, and am now on another 5 days of medication. I don't have any burning, but I have this horrible feeling of fullness and pressure in my pelvic region, and what feels like little spasms. I also feel this pressure in my "backside". Is that normal? I have read that men can have rectal pressure, but nothing about women having that. And shouldn't I be feeling better by now? How long should I wait before going back to the doctor? This is so uncomfortable! I drink lots of water all the time and have always urinated frequently - don't know why I got a UTI all of a sudden! And I do all the right things as far as wiping, etc.

Here's a coincidence: I work with other women and we all share the same bathroom. One of them is new and her hygene isn't the best. Well, the week before I saw my doctor, one of the older ladies was talking about how she had a UTI. I didn't think much of it, then I was told I had one. Then a couple days later this new woman was talking about how she's been sick with a UTI as well. Isn't that weird? I know you supposedly can't catch things off of toilet seats - but it makes you wonder!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
(female)

caitlyn38 HB User
Re: First UTI

I have been suffering with a UTI too. I was misdiagnosed about 3 weeks ago at an AM/PM clinic - or else didn't have the full-blown UTI yet. They gave me Pyridium. I kept having problems with frequent and urgent urination but no actual pain when I urinated. I ended up getting calling my gyn and she prescribed Macrobid, 100 mg 2x/day. It helped for a day and a half but then it started bothering me again. So, I went to the ER on Sunday and they said I had "dirty urine" and a really bad bladder infection. Told me to drink water every hour and cranberry juice. I was given 250 mg of Cipro and more Pyridium. It got better for the rest of the day and part of the next day but then it started burning - with urgency and frequency. I saw my Dr. yesterday and he put me on 500 mg of Cipro for 7 days. He also gave me Detrol. The ER sent my urine culture over to the dr. and nothing grew - probably due to being on anti-biotics. Anyway, how did yours turn out? I'm just having a heck of time getting rid of mine.

Last edited by caitlyn38; 05-21-2008 at 06:04 AM. Reason: mistake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
(female)

LaurenRae HB User
Re: First UTI

Hi Caitlyn,

I actually went back to the doctor's on Thursday the 15th because I couldn't stand the pain anymore. He did another urine test and I still had my infection so he took me off the Cipro and put me on Macrobid twice a day. I don't know which is worse! My bladder seems to be better - not great, but it doesn't hurt as much when I go, but I have the worst abdominable pains I've ever had. I actually left work Thursday right after lunch and am only back this morning - and I don't know how long I'll last today! I actually went to the ER on Monday because the pain was so severe - and I am having trouble having a bowel movement - it's so incredibly painful. Anyways, the doctor I saw there gave me something for the spasms (Buscopan) and a laxative. Well, the Buscopan has helped a bit but I still am in a lot of pain. I decided this morning I wasn't going to take my Macrobid and see how it feels. I've been on antibiotics now since May 5th and really think this should have cleared up by now! I think the cramps/spasms are from the antibiotic...I am going to call my doctor later today and see what he thinks we should do.

I never would have thought a bladder infection was this bad!

Closed Thread