It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

denise7172 HB User
Bladder Pain after Hysterectomy

Hi, I have a post already about my hysterectomy but I was just wondering if anyone else that has had a hysterectomy had bladder pain? I think thats what it is anyway?... When I pee or have a BM, I get an intense pressure pain. I have been checked for a UTI and t was neg., just wondering if this pain/pressure that I feel is normal and if anyone else has/had it and how long it lasted. Thanks!
The surgery was 2 weeks ago and was done abdominally

Last edited by denise7172; 06-28-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to add date and type of surgery

Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
(female)

mom9302 HB User
Re: Bladder Pain after Hysterectomy

I had something similar to this and it lasted probably about 4-5 weeks post op but it let up and then went away. I had another friend that had her hysterectomy the same day and she had the same problem and hers lasted about the same time frame. Mine was a vaginal/vertical hysterectomy and hers was total open abdominal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Hi mom, Thanks so much for your reply, I was wondering if anyone would. I'm glad to hear that others have experienced the pain/pressure, makes me feel a little better, I was afraid that something might be wrong. I had an abdominal, my incision is horizontal. I'm at 2 weeks/2 days post op. My Dr gave me enablex to take for the pressure/pain but it really doesnt help that much. Hopefully it will go away...I would hate to feel like this for the rest of my life... Thanks again for your response, it helps so much to hear from others!! Have a great weekend!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I had my hyst 6/18/08.

I don't have bladder pain, but it seems the urethra (the outer part) was irritated for about 7 days. The first 3-4 days (after catheter was removed) it was a little tender while urinating. It is still a bit sensitive when I shower.

And then there is pressure at my anus. I had a LAVH (laparoscopically assited vaginal hyst). She said she had a difficult time getting out my uterus (with its fibroid). I suspect she had to pull quite a bit, and has bruised my rectum. It gets uncomfortable unless I sit on a cushion. I think it is better, but not "all better", not yet.

Is that the kind of thing you are wondering about?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
I had my hyst 6/18/08.

I don't have bladder pain, but it seems the urethra (the outer part) was irritated for about 7 days. The first 3-4 days (after catheter was removed) it was a little tender while urinating. It is still a bit sensitive when I shower.

And then there is pressure at my anus. I had a LAVH (laparoscopically assited vaginal hyst). She said she had a difficult time getting out my uterus (with its fibroid). I suspect she had to pull quite a bit, and has bruised my rectum. It gets uncomfortable unless I sit on a cushion. I think it is better, but not "all better", not yet.

Is that the kind of thing you are wondering about?
My surgery was abdominal, they took everything. The best way to describe my pain/pressure is when I pee, it feels like my bladder is "balling up" and trying to come out....it happens when I am almost finished peeing. I have been checked for UTI, it was clear. The Dr. gave me some Enablex samples and they don't really help that much. I guess I will wait things out and see if it gets better. I have another appt. with my Dr on 7/28, I guess if it is still bothering me then, we will go from there? It's just sooo frustrating , I want to feel better. I'm almost at the 3 week mark and I thought by now, I would be doing alot better than I am? I hope youre healing well? Thanks for your reply! It means alot to hear from others and to just have someone to talk to. Have a great day!!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Denise, I'm sad to hear you are still having so many problems. I wish I had some advice to you! I *can* offer hugs and prayers though . . . ((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))) and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
Denise, I'm sad to hear you are still having so many problems. I wish I had some advice to you! I *can* offer hugs and prayers though . . . ((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))) and prayers for a speedy recovery.
Thank-you!!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
(female)

tropicalsol HB User

I am sorry for your pain Denise, but boy am I glad to hear someone else is experiencing the same thing as I am!
I am 49 and had a full abdominal hysterectomy (with an extremely large tumor removed) on April 7th of this year.
I have had the worst pain in my bladder, especially after urinating, so much so, that I had been doubled over worse than from recovery from the surgery.
I did have a bladder infection, so they put me on Cipro, and Pyridium, but I have finished those after a week and still am having the pain. I had a catheter in for 3 days in the hospital, so thought it was because of that.
I have a call in to my doctor this morning asking for more meds if he thinks I still have an infection. But, I am wondering if this pain is just normal during the whole healing process? It is awful not knowing and having to wait it out.
Thank you for listening. I wish I had an answer for you, but maybe listening to someone else who has the same symptoms is comforting in a way. Let me know how your recovery goes. I hope you feel better. I will share any new info my doctor can offer me. I know each person is different and I could not ever suggest what to do in your case, but I can share my experience.
sincerely,
Sherri

Old 05-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
(female)

Moonie46 HB User

Hi All, I've just joined the site - being 4 weeks post TAH and looking for support. I spent the first 3 weeks post surgery with severe bladder and bowel pain and now at the end of week 4 it has eased considerably and is more manageable. I expected organs in general to play up after surgery as had read that anaesthetic stops everything from working properly for a while so it came as no shock - but the distress of the added pain on every visit to the loo for whatever....... had me in tears for 3 weeks. It does get better I'm glad to say, and unless there are hidden infections etc with some women - I would say the bladder (as well as bowel) problems are entirely normal during recovery from hysterectomy. My consultant advised before the op that urinating after a total hysterectomy often feels like you have a water infection when in fact its down to the fact the urine has to travel through what seems like a vacuum around it. Best Regards.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
(female)

tropicalsol HB User

Thank you. You are so right. It has been six weeks recovery for me and I am feeling better already. When you consider the trauma your bladder goes through during this operation, (mine was being "squeezed in" by a very large tumor,) and then the dr. stitching it back up ,and the wearing off of the anesthesia, it is no wonder the pain you feel. I just had to be patient and let nature take its course. Being prone to UTIs in the past, of course I thought I had a post op problem, but no more!
Sherri

Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
(female)

janey41 HB User

Hi i was suppose to have a vaginal hysterectomy but got half way through and had to be finished off by abdominal because i bled a lot on the 23rd july. I also had pain going for a wee! but it is getting much better. My doctor said it was normal,

Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
(female)

tropicalsol HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janey41 View Post
Hi i was suppose to have a vaginal hysterectomy but got half way through and had to be finished off by abdominal because i bled a lot on the 23rd july. I also had pain going for a wee! but it is getting much better. My doctor said it was normal,
Thank you for sharing Janey. It is always comforting to hear of someone who experienced the same thing. And, luckily like you, I have felt great the past couple of months, so it was just temporary. My doctor said the bladder pain goes along with the regular healing, but it was pretty bad, that's why I was concerned. Good Luck to you and good health! Thanks again, Sherri, Jupiter, FL

Last edited by tropicalsol; 08-11-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #13
(female)

BJGIBBS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise7172 View Post
Hi, I have a post already about my hysterectomy but I was just wondering if anyone else that has had a hysterectomy had bladder pain? I think thats what it is anyway?... When I pee or have a BM, I get an intense pressure pain. I have been checked for a UTI and t was neg., just wondering if this pain/pressure that I feel is normal and if anyone else has/had it and how long it lasted. Thanks!

I also had a hysterectomy about 3.5 weeks ago and at the end of my second week after surgery I started to have the bladder pressure not really pain but feeling like I had to pee all the time. the dr. put me on antibiotics for 1 week thinking I might have an infection coming on (due to the catherer while during surgery) and now 1 week after I finish antibiotics I am on Vesicare I have only taken one dose so far. Hope this works It is really uncomfortable feeling like that all the time. But I have not had any pain with my bladder. I'm online trying to find a cause for mine now. Good luck and if I find anything out I will come back and post here.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
(female)

leann15 HB User

I had a hysterectomy March of 2010 and afterwards I had bladder pain exactly like what you explain. It was horrible. When I went in for my follow up visit I told the Dr. He ran tests just to be sure it was not a UTI but other than that told me it was probably my bladder having spasms due to the changes it had encured and that it should go away. I suffered for about another month and finally it did go away. However, that exact pain has returned in the past 2 months. I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing your pain. And if it has returned at all.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
(female)

starlilly214 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise7172 View Post

Reply Reply