It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

skewch HB User
Urinary Retention--need some advice

I have had problems peeing for a few years now since I had thyroid surgery. I couldn't pee in the mornings unless I sat there for 10 minutes and stare in the corner and concentrate on the muscles to do it. Now, my bladder is enlarged and going for a cystoscopy to find out what the problem is inside, if they can find one.

I have to "grunt" it out and it doesn't amount to much. Anyone have this problem?? I am kinda scared that surgery may be in the future. I also have not ever catheterized myself so that is going to be a problem if that is the way I have to live the rest of my life.

OH, I don't have much pain with the problem either...no infections or anything. I have in the last few days felt a little burning in my urethra, so I think this is getting worse.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
(female)

Dolphin43 HB User
Re: Urinary Retention--need some advice

Hi Skewch,

I have had urinary retention for nearly 2 years now n catherterise 4 times per day i have 100ml retention am also waiting for an op poss oct/nov as i have boo to so iam nt looking forward to that either its easy to cath once u know how can do it automatically now but will be harder after my op as they are going to lift my bladder ect.

I do get lost of infections 2 as iam type 2 diabetic n have antibiotics they make u so sleeply ect.

Hang on in their n find out how much u are retaining let me know i also have urgency n frequency too do u?

Hope all goes well

Dolphin43.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

skewch,

Sorry to hear your going through all this. I have what they refer to as a "Neurogenic bladder". My bladder doesn't contract(Basicly my bladder is dead)at all. Mine happened after a hysterectomy/bladder sling surgery almost 11 years ago. So the current thought is nerve damage during the hysterectomy part of the surgery.

I've been "Self cathing" for as I said almost 11 years now. At this point it is second nature, but I can remember how daunting it was at first. Knock on wood I do not have any history of problems with infections due to cathing. I understand thats rare, but I really chalk it up to the fact I don't use any lubricant...who knows, I just feel "if it isnt broke, don't fix it" when it comes to using lubricant. There is no pain involved while cathing, so if it's painful then something isn't right. Should be just an "odd" sensation is all. I cath 5 times a day because I have now developed kidney stones.

Your problem sounds like "MAYBE" you have some sort of a "stricture"(narrowing) in your urethra or something blocking it. Possible scar tissue? DO you have any history of kidney stones that you know of?

This is going to sound crazy but, have you ever tried different positions on the toilet to try to help you go? My urethra is at a 90% angle, so I have to get into a certian position just to get the catheter in. I kind of have to use sort of a pelvic tilt type movement while putting pressure on the back of my butt, not the back of the toilet tank, but the back of the seat. I push with my feet.(sorry it's not easy to discribe) I don't strain or grunt to do this as it wouldn't do "me" any good. I'm just thinking if your problem MAY be an "angle" issue with your urethra trying different positions might make a difference? Might be worth trying?

Your Doctor should be able to determine whether you have any issues with your urethra as well as inside the bladder that may be the cause. Also might not be a bad idea to have some urodynamic studies done if the cause can't be detected with the cystoscopy to see how much you are retaining, and how hard your bladder contracts.

Good luck with your cystoscopy, and please let us know how you make out!
Take care, and God bless.
ANnette

Old 07-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
(female)

skewch HB User

Dolphin, thanks for sharing your story with me Yes, I believe I have urgency and frequency issues. When I feel the urge to go, it has to be NOW. Holding it works, but I try not to do that so as to save what bladder function I do have.

Momof2sons, I know I have muscle and nerve damage in my hands because I have really bad shakes/trembling. This has been caused by too low of calcium for too long after my thyroid was removed. I am no longer able to absorb calcium like normal people and take meds like dialysis patients do. My dr. mentioned this could be nerve damage from the same thing.

She didn't want to go too much into it until I had an ultrasound to see the amount of retained urine and now I am going for the cystoscopy. I sure hope there is a "cure" for what could be wrong. I cannot see myself self-cathing for the rest of my life. Also, once your bladder becomes enlarged/distended, can they operate to make it smaller again???

Also, I have no apparent kidney problems that I know of, but my medication will cause stones eventually.

I thank you both for your stories. It really helps to know I'm not alone.

Closed Thread