It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
(male)

tonyinhampshire HB User
White blood cells in urine / no culture growth

Hello

I posted in prostate cancer but have now posted here .

For about 1 or 2 years I have noticed a small dribble of urine after urination which leaves a small stain. I thought nothing of it apart from lifestyle where I do tend to rush around. I do frequently need to urinate at night but this has always been the case, I large volumes of fluid right up to bedtime.

Well the picture gets more blured. The PSA result shows 1.5 and the DRE was okay according to the doctor who is GP, not a urologist

I am called in to see the GP 1 week later to discuss the urinanylisis which shows

microscopy x 10.3 per mil - red blood cells <1 and white blood cells 1 - 10 but no culture growth. ( white cells are high in the urine but no infection isolated )

The GP has asked me to go to a a GU clinic for possible infection which may cause my symptoms. It felt to me that he was assuming I had a sexually TD and kind of leaned towards the idea that I may have picked up an infection from a 3rd party or even my partner ( which poses even more questions ).. I dont think he showed any sensitvity towards my feelings or really understands my behaviour, not does he know about my sexual activity. He has dismissed further investigations until I get the results from the clinic, not to mention other possibilities

I am wondering if I ****** incorrectly. I did not take the sample mid-stream but ****** straight into the test tube on my first **** of the morning.

Thanks for looking at this

Regards

tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: White blood cells in urine / no culture growth

I'm female but got the same results with the White Blood Cells. I thought I had a bad infection. Dr. gave me antibiotics. The test results came back with WBC Esterase 2+ Abnormal, WBC 6-10 Abnormal, Mucus Thread Abnormal. It also said culture shows less then 10,000 colony forming units of bacteria per milliliter of urine. Not generally considered to be clinically significant. So that means no infection. I went back to my Urologist I had seen in the 90's for the same problems. He tells me not to worry about it. He doesn't explain why the WBC are there. I am getting a Cystoscope done on Friday which may explain the problems. Who knows. I did post last week about my problem but got no response. So I thought it would be good for you to get a response. Although not the same sex so probably not the same results. Keep me updated. I'm interested to see what they tell you it is.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 AM   #3
(male)

tonyinhampshire HB User

Thanks Hessie for your reply. It is so good to be able to share thoughts in this uncertain time

I am sure we are not alone in this situ. Was your red blood cell count okay ?
I have done some research on the internet which was probably a bad thing as i now have more Q than A. Some of the articles lead you to believe that a very serious disease is present wheras other artcicles indicate that WBC in urine are not a worrsiome finding, Intersting though, I understand that UTI is difficult to isolate in the lab and just because the test is negative does not completely rule out UTI.

I am now about to go to the GOM clinic as suggested by my GP, he says to take a copy of War and Peace ( I assume he means it takes a long time to be seen ) which is really what I did not want to hear. I live in England near Portsmouth so the clinics are often busy

I will keep you posted and I hope all is well with your continuing investigations

best wishes

tony

Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
(male)

tonyinhampshire HB User

Well i attended the clinic and after a 2 hour wait, I saw the GU doctor who took my history followed by a microscopic look of a sample taken from the tip of my penis. The result shows no UTI

I then provided a urine sample correctly done this time and the doctor stuck a stick into the urine, The result was negative for white blood cells or any other related abnormality. He said he would send the sample on for microscopic evlauation but said the card reading was very reliable.

I am therefore back to square one as the original test of urine showed white blood cells under the microscope

tony

Old 08-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Don't you love when they tell you it is nothing and they can't find anything? I go Friday for a Cystoscope so that will tell more. I actually ordered a bottle of those strips. So I do the test home first. Only problem is not sure what the results mean. I know they are abnormal but not sure to what degree. It's good the dip test was negative. They can still find something at the lab. I understand the lab will observe it to see if any bateria grows on it. I've had microscopic blood in the urine since 1991. I had all the tests done and all negative. The Urologist back then said since all test negative they will never know what causes it. He said maybe a small pinhole in the bladder lining where the red blood cells get in. Now it comes and goes. Mine also showed Billirubin which I read should NEVER be in Urine. I ask the Dr. and he says "I don't know". The internet can be bad. I read up on it and it says gallbladder or liver disease. I don't have a gallbladder. I have a fatty liver so it makes me nervous. But "Don't worry". Keep me posted. I'll let you know what they say on Friday.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
(male)

tonyinhampshire HB User

How did you get on Hessie with the scope ?

I have seen these sticks in the UK and u can buy 100 sticks for about £15 here.

I know not what to do in my position. I feel trapped in our National Health System which provides for most people from our taxes. I seem to do alot of running around from one medical dept to the next but no real answers at the moment, just several doctors who seem to be very selective when talking.

Well I have the symptoms. How do people learn to take each day at a time ?

tony

Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Tony, Sorry, forgot to update. I went on vacation the day after the scope. The scope was over before I knew it. He used some numbing stuff so not bad at all.

Everything looked fine. So he diagnosed me with Interstitial cystitis. There is no test for it. After they rule everything else out they call it that. Basically it is painful bladder and over active bladder. I'm lucky not to have it as bad as others. So now I have to go for bladder instillations where they put the meds into the bladder through cather. You go once a week for 6 weeks. He also gave me Elmiron an Ditropan XL to take. It seems to be working. He had no explanantion for the white blood cells or any of the other abnormal results.

Hope you are feeling better.

Closed Thread