It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
(female)

miserablewUTI HB User
about to undergo first cystoscopy

I am going to have to have a cystoscopy done because of frequent UTI's. I have never had one done and my urologist hasnt explained the procedure to me yet. Will i be put under anesthetic or will i be awake for the procedure? Will the pain be unbearable or just slightly painful and uncomfortable? I am so nervous about it. I really dont know what to expect. If anyone can shed some light onto what i am going to have to go through then that would be great.

~miserablewUTI

Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: about to undergo first cystoscopy

miserablewUTI,

I'm sorry to hear your going through all of this. I have had many cystoscopies done in the past. No you won't be put under anesthesia for the procedure. They will put some lidocaine gel in your urethra which will numb it before they do the cysto. It shouldn't be extreemly painful just uncomfortable, sort of a pressure feeling, at least that has been MY experience with all the cystoscopies I have had.
I will certiantly say a prayer for you that they find the answers you need to stop these UTI's. They sure can make you "miserable" as your name states. Please let us know how you make out.
I wish you the best, take care,
and GOd bless.
Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
(female)

DeeDee123 HB User

MiserablewUTI, I have had so many scopes... it's not all that bad and usually only takes a few minutes for the doc to see what he/she needs to see. It is relatively pain free more discomfort, there is some burning afterwards but they give you an antibotic after it to ward off any infection that may occure. It's really not that bad. I too have frequent uti's and so far no idea why, I am scheduled for a scope the end of next month so maybe I will get some answers then. I have been on antibiotics for 90 day's now, I will finish up next week. hoping it stay's away this time. we will see.... Take care good luck.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

nomorestones HB User

I am not sure if you have had the cystoscopy as of yet, but unlike everyone else who have had a pleasant experience, I have not. I have had 2 so far and the last one I had made me cry my eyes out. They do give you some freezing, but I felt everything that was done during the procedure...I was in a lot of pain. For your sake though, I do hope that it will be a very pleasant experience for you.

At the moment I have a stent in for a stone I just had crushed a week ago. I will have to go through the same experience to get this stent removed in October, and I am truly not looking forward to this.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
(female)

DeeDee123 HB User

So sorry to hear about your bad experience nomorestones, I have just had simple procedures, maybe your bad experience was because of putting the stint in not really sure, but I have had 4 in the last 6 yrs and only had discomfort after it.. I have had two bladder lifts and cologin injections into the bladder inbetween the lifts trying to prevent the second lift.. NOW that hurt... the cologin injections was not the way to go, but I tried to avoid the second surgery......but since the second lift no more problems.. all is good except for constant bladder infections which are of no none reason. working on trying to figure that out now... has to be a reason..tired of being on meds all the time ... good luck ya'll

Old 09-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
(female)

Sehsun HB User

I was put under general anesthesia for all of my cystoscopies. After the procedure, I had pain when I urinated (I had stents placed three times). The stent caused some hematuria and painful urination.

In the PACU (post-anesthesia care unit), they let me go home when I was able to void, and they should offer you juice/water to help you do that. They sent me home with a prescription for pain meds.

I hope your cystoscopy goes well!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
(female)

missmel1 HB User

What did you find out from your scope? A couple of years back I was on antibiotics for awhile...Doc said e coli.? That was several years ago....I've now just switched urologists. Went in to the old one a month or so ago with blood in urine, and flakes of what I thought were stones. Sat in his office for almost 2 hours, saw him 2 mnutes and he wrote our prescription, didn't even look up! Went to new doc....did scope last Friday, and 2 lesions/ployps showed up...having those biopsied....also discovered cyst on ovary we are cheking out as well. I sometimes feel like first doc should have done a little more investigating.?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
(female)

Sehsun HB User

missmel1,

I am not sure if your question is directed towards me, but I will answer.

Through the cystoscopies, I found out that I had left UPJ and UVJ obstructions, both of which were fixed.

I am sorry about the other things that showed up, but it is good that your current urologist caught them. I hope that the biopsy goes well and the cyst is watched carefully.

Closed Thread